+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC from within Canada

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Hi!
I'm currently in Canada with my IEC Working Holiday 2012 Visa. I'd like to keep working
with my current employer and therefore apply under the Young Professionals category as soon
as the 2013 program opens.
Is it possible to apply for an IEC Visa from withing Canada? Because the work permit application in my
MyCIC account said "from outside Canada".
So on all my documents I provided my current address in Canada. Should I change all my documents to
my address in Germany ( I'm originally from Germany ) instead?

Thank you!

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
simonvee said:
Yes you can.

You have to travel across border then come back and present your LOI to POE officer
Yes, I figured. To actually get the new WP i have leave and re-enter Canada. I just wasn't sure if
I can apply from within Canada because of the application title saying "from outside Canada".
Thanks for confirming tho.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
when you apply for this program from canada what do you write on the application for work permit in the field "country where applying?"

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canadiara said:
when you apply for this program from canada what do you write on the application for work permit in the field "country where applying?"
Your country of citizenship.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

Your country of citizenship.
thank you, that was my initial thought as well, but i was wondering, won't the immigration think that i am not being truthful? since i'm in canada as a visitor, i'm applying for a work permit through this program, and i'm stating that i'm applying from my country of residence... that is what i'm worried about.

OC

Feb 11, 2013
I found a form instruction guide when I was completing the IMM1295 form because some parts are so unclear if you're applying out of your home country. I tried to find it again but haven't had any luck.

I did find this one - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5487ETOC.asp#5487E4

But no where near as helpful as the one I used. Hit me up if you have any questions because I obsessed over my application to make sure I got everything right before I submitted it. Hahaha.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
OC said:
I found a form instruction guide when I was completing the IMM1295 form because some parts are so unclear if you're applying out of your home country. I tried to find it again but haven't had any luck.

I did find this one - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5487ETOC.asp#5487E4

But no where near as helpful as the one I used. Hit me up if you have any questions because I obsessed over my application to make sure I got everything right before I submitted it. Hahaha.
thank you OC, that's what i found in the cic website as well, but i'm still confused. i'm visiting canada, and i'm applying for the iec from canada. i'm still confused about section 9 "Country where applying" because this is an application that's supposed to be filled from outside canada. i had no idea such a program existed before i left my country, otherwise i would have done from there. i don't want to be untruthful, but i don't want to be rejected either.
were you in the same position? what did you do?

OC

Feb 11, 2013
I applied from Canada too. Country where applying is your home country. Because the application is sent to a consulate in your home country. So confusing for people applying from within Canada.

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
thank you thank you, i've been obsessing since this morning that i received the iec conditional acceptance.

OC

Feb 11, 2013
No worries. They really need to be more clear on these things. I had country where applying as Canada because I was residing here - then I found the instruction guide that said country where applying is your home country and mailing address is your home country and residential address is where you're living now.

What country are you from? How long have you been in Canada?

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
i really don't know why they make things so difficult. you have to be a graduate from a university in immigration in order to do the simplest thing.
i'm from greece and i've been here a few weeks. a friend of mine told me about this program. if i had known about it before i travelled i would have definitely taken all actions to apply from home. where are you from?
is this your first time or second time applying with the iec program? i was wondering how easy it would be to get a job.

OC

Feb 11, 2013
Im from Australia and it's my first time applying. My boyfriend is Canadian and his Australian work visa ran out and he couldn't get another one - so we have to live here until we can apply for a partner visa and go back to Aus. It was super last minute (a months notice) so I didn't have time to apply for anything before coming here. I've also never travelled so I had no idea what to apply for or how. I've been here for almost six months and my tourist visa is about to run out so if this work permit doesn't get approved I have to head home alone :'(

canadiara

Jan 17, 2013
that is tough, but i'm sure it will be approved. you're coming from a country like australia on a limited time, 1 year, your native language is english, your boyfriend is canadian, if i were an immigration officer i wouldn't think twice about you. don't you worry, everything will be fine.
i'm afraid for myself though, because i'm not alone, my husband who's with me, is over 35 and he can't apply to the program, so i'm afraid even after the approval from cic (i'm being positive and i'm certain i'll get the approval) what will happen at the border.
this is my last hope in obtaining a work permit in canada, i guess educated, fluently speaking english people coming from a european country aren't welcome in canada. i'm very much disappointed, can you tell? :'(

OC

Feb 11, 2013
I'm worried that ill get denied because immigration might think because I have a boyfriend here I won't leave at the end of my work permit. I'm sure it will be fine - positive thinking, right?

What permit is your husband applying for? I wish you all the luck and hope it works out for the both of you :)