+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC applying for PR and Implied Status

mathewredfearn

May 10, 2015
There's a form to change your conditions, I don't know the name of it but I have it on my computer...this is actually the correct way to change from a working visa to a visitor. Why would it be misinterpreting if that's what your actually going to do. Me like a lot of people on IEC came to Canada got a job and have been working full time and saving for 2 years straight. Now that my visa has expired and I have the time I would like to actually see Canada using the money I saved

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
Bump.

Help please (no cynical lecturers):)

Did anyone actually get to the bottom of this?

I'm in a similar situation as the OP, I have 436 CRS score and I'm very likely to get an ITA before my work permit expires October 5th of this year. The work permit is open and was obtained through IEC I know its none extendable however as I was told at Buffalo POE when I asked to see immigration on my way back from United States they said if you have an application for permanent residence in progress in progress apply for a bridging permit before your IEC permit expires that will give you extra time. Whilst the bridging permit is in process you can continue to work on implied status. I asked about people being refused permanent residence because of the bridging permit and they said usually thats because they lied on the bridging permit application or did not submit before the other permit expired. They said its not an extension of your current visa/permit its entirely different its basically a pre sub extension of a permanent residence application. However I couldn't get them to put this in a letter so all I have is an officers word and I'm still a little worried about gambling on it.

So has anyone actually gone through this or know somebody who has? Because I would like to here from somebody who has before I gamble on it?

I just got offered another amazing job opportunity here in Canada and I want to take it but I think its not right to do so if I'm likely to be leaving in less than 6 months as it wont bode well or maybe I shouldn't care I don't know. As it stands I'm likely to get permanent residence however if I don't have it by the end of July its basically impossible that it will be processed in time for October 5th. So I was planning to start selling everything end of July if I'm not invited anyway. I personally thought the CRS Score would go lower but this year it hasn't dipped that low just stayed averagely lower. There also implementing tie break rule which could essentially screw me over even if my score is ok as I resubmitted in January to update my IELETS Scores. Its stupid how you cannot update your profile and have to resubmit each type.

Just a moan but I seriously hate this bureaucracy within Canada's immigration when I speak to my friends they say how stupid it is I come from England and cannot obtain a work permit without all these stupid steps. After all if it wasn't for England and France, Canada wouldn't exist and would be part of the United States.

canadalife1234

Jan 3, 2016
A lot of opinions on this topic, I can only tell you from my experience. I was on IEC and wanted to apply for PR and consulted with 3 separate lawyers in Canada. All of them told me I would have implied status until the application processed so I stayed and continued working, being sure to not leave the country. The PR application got approved but unfortunately I had to withdraw it and leave Canada due to personal circumstance. From my perspective, it was understood that I was there and working under implied status and CIC never raised any questions or doubts about it. Hope it helps.

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
A lot of opinions on this topic, I can only tell you from my experience. I was on IEC and wanted to apply for PR and consulted with 3 separate lawyers in Canada. All of them told me I would have implied status until the application processed so I stayed and continued working, being sure to not leave the country. The PR application got approved but unfortunately I had to withdraw it and leave Canada due to personal circumstance. From my perspective, it was understood that I was there and working under implied status and CIC never raised any questions or doubts about it. Hope it helps.
OK that's great Thankyou for replying you've actually had this situation. I just have two question when you submitted your pr app were you still on your Iec visa? And did you go to cic atall when you were on implied status?

I cannot stand on the trolls on these forums who think they can comment on matters they've never been through themselves they think there an immigration expert because there an immigrant themselves.

canadalife1234

Jan 3, 2016
OK that's great Thankyou for replying you've actually had this situation. I just have two question when you submitted your pr app were you still on your Iec visa? And did you go to cic atall when you were on implied status?

I cannot stand on the trolls on these forums who think they can comment on matters they've never been through themselves they think there an immigration expert because there an immigrant themselves.
No problem! It's what this place is for :)
I did submit the PR app when I still had the IEC visa. The lawyer made it very clear that I needed to make sure the PR was submitted when I still held a valid work permit for the implied status to be valid. Also, bear in mind that when you're in Canada on implied status you cannot leave the country or change your job. Not sure what you mean by going to CIC, I just kept living my life as normal. My PR was paper based but I got a work permit within 4-5 months so my implied status lasted around 3 months.

Ark88

Feb 1, 2018
Apologies on bumping this one, but @youknowluke , I will be in the same position as you in a couple of weeks and wondering what you did?

I've had different immigration consultants tell me different things, people on different forums tell me different things, and it's still a fully grey area for me.

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
Apologies on bumping this one, but @youknowluke , I will be in the same position as you in a couple of weeks and wondering what you did?

I've had different immigration consultants tell me different things, people on different forums tell me different things, and it's still a fully grey area for me.
I confirmed with CIC officer themselves, and you do qualify for implied status as long as you submitted a BOWP application after your PR application and before the expiration of your current work permit. Hope that helps.

Ark88

Feb 1, 2018
I got the same answer when i called too. And an email from the agent that states:

-------

Implied status - IEC
If you are a participant in the International Experience Canada (IEC) program and you apply for:
    • A subsequent work permit (WP) under one of the IEC eligible categories, you cannot continue working after the expiration of your current WP until you obtain the new one,
      • if you want to stay in Canada during the process of your subsequent WP under IEC, you need to apply to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor or student at the latest on the expiry date of your existing WP,
    • Another type of WP at the latest on the expiry date of your WP under IEC, and it expires before a decision is made, you can continue working under the same conditions as your existing WP, as long as you remain in Canada.
For more helpful information, we invite you to consult the Extend or change your work permit - International Experience Canadapage.
Leaving and re-entering Canada while under implied status:
You may be authorized to re-enter Canada:
    • As a temporary resident, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved (if applicable, it will be important to wait until you receive your new permit before you start to work/ study):
      • this applies to you if, among other things:
        • you are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt,
        • you hold a valid multiple-entry visa, or
        • you have travelled only to the United States (including its Territories and Possessions) and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon,
    • As a worker or student:
      • if the officer determines that your application to extend your WP was approved while you were outside Canada, or
      • if you are eligible to apply for a new work or study permit at your arrival in Canada.
An officer will ask you questions to see if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.
Proof of implied status:
It is recommended that you provide these documents to prove that you have implied status:
    • Your expired immigration document,
    • (If the application was submitted by paper) A copy of the application to extend your stay sent to the Case Processing Centre before the expiration date of your status,
    • (If the application was submitted online) A copy of the Confirmation of Online Application Transmission message in your online account,
    • A copy of the fee payment receipt included with the application, and
    • (If applicable) A delivery confirmation from the postal service provider used to send the application.
More information on implied status is also available on our website.

--------

I've seen this information given out to other people on this forum as well, even as far as a year back. People are still saying this is bogus information given by CIC agents, but surely someone would have told them that by now after giving it out for a year or more... so I'm not so sure it is bogus is this is the information they've clearly been told to give out if someone asks this question. Maybe the laws have changed, maybe this now has more clarity to immigration than it did years ago and they've finally made sense of the situation.

Good to hear that you kept working, as I'm probably going to do the same.