+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I was arrested in my country. Am I eligible for Canada immigration?

petya_bg

Jun 4, 2012
The situation was the following. In 2004 at a bar I got aquainted with a young man. We spoke, we had a drink and decided to go to another bar. We went out and when getting into his car, several policemen came out and arrested us. They took me to the police station to interrogate me. From them I understood that this man was selling drugs. I didn't know that before, I had just talked to him for only one hour. The policemen interrogated me for a few hours, they saw I didn't know anything and they released me. Later I was called as witness in court.
I haven't been convicted with a sentense and I haven't been called in court as a defendant(accused) never.

Do you think that this arrest could be a reason for refusal of a canadian visa?
Has any of you had a similar case?

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
If you have not been convicted then there is no problem. You can apply for Canada Immigration.

petya_bg

Jun 4, 2012
Canada1234, thank you for your reply. I hope you are right :)
And no, I have not been convicted.
In such cases how do they proceed? Do they require a lot of documents from me in order to prove that I was arrested but not convicted? Or is it enough just to mention it shortly and they make the necessary chek-ups with the authorities of my country?

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
you were not arrested you were detained for questionning,
does your local police clearanc esay anything?
Did they show you any documents that say yo uwere arrested?

petya_bg

Jun 4, 2012
ihabkal, I am not sure what is the difference between detained and arrested, not even in my language, the dictionary sais they are synonimes.
Could you please explain or give me a link to read the definitions? How is named the Canadian law which deals with arrests, prosecution, etc? Maybe Criminal Code or something like that?

Unfortunately I have lost the documents they gave me. Now I have to search for copies of them but it's a long procedure at police station, prosecutor's office, investigation office.
I only have a police sertificate, which sais: never convicted. It doesn't give information about arrests.

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
petya_bg said:
Canada1234, thank you for your reply. I hope you are right :)
And no, I have not been convicted.
In such cases how do they proceed? Do they require a lot of documents from me in order to prove that I was arrested but not convicted? Or is it enough just to mention it shortly and they make the necessary chek-ups with the authorities of my country?
I don't know much but i think PCC {police certificate} would suffice.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Based on your posts so far, it appears the answer for question 6(j) of schedule A, should be "Yes". You were arrested, questioned and later allowed to leave. So you would just have to provide details and if you have any police reports about it, you may include them.

The event itself is not sufficient to cause a refusal, unless you lie or misrepresenting facts of the case and they are uncovered.

Imperia

Jun 12, 2012
I have a question for you: a person was convicted for procurement (buying) of drugs (marijuana), without having the purpose to sell them (for personal use) in may 1999 (outside of Canada, he had a period of probation. That period of probation he passed successfully and received even amnesty, in the same year. The person completed his sentence in October 1999.
During all this period he was an exemplary citizen of the country (outside of canada). Also he became the citizen of Portugal, before he was a citizen of an Eastern Europe country.
Now he is in his process of immigration to Canada. Can you tell which are his to obtain visa for permanent residence in Canada?
Thank you for your answer.