+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I spent most of my three years studying.

Mar 29, 2024
My three years as PR are finally finishing and I'm thinking about applying for citizenship. When I came to Canada I worked a little bit for Uber but then I enrolled in a three year long course in healthcare for better opportunities and retraining myself. I didn't leave Canada for a single day during my eligibility period but I'm worried that I will be subjected to a longer processing time or get an RQ because I didn't work. I had my own savings from my country for my studies and I didn't take welfare either. I heard that there is a simplified processing and then there is a longer one and I'm dreading to be put in the other category. Will studying be a problem for IRCC?

I have another question and instead of wasting another thread, I'll ask it here as well. I want to know how common is it for citizenship applications to be stuck for years in processing? I've only seen a few cases like that where applicants had to file a mandamus, etc. But for PR, those sorts of obstacles are pretty common. I also check the forum here from time to time and I see that the main hurdle is the PR and the citizenship process is usually smooth if you don't have a criminal record, etc.

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
My three years as PR are finally finishing and I'm thinking about applying for citizenship. When I came to Canada I worked a little bit for Uber but then I enrolled in a three year long course in healthcare for better opportunities and retraining myself. I didn't leave Canada for a single day during my eligibility period but I'm worried that I will be subjected to a longer processing time or get an RQ because I didn't work. I had my own savings from my country for my studies and I didn't take welfare either. I heard that there is a simplified processing and then there is a longer one and I'm dreading to be put in the other category. Will studying be a problem for IRCC?

I have another question and instead of wasting another thread, I'll ask it here as well. I want to know how common is it for citizenship applications to be stuck for years in processing? I've only seen a few cases like that where applicants had to file a mandamus, etc. But for PR, those sorts of obstacles are pretty common. I also check the forum here from time to time and I see that the main hurdle is the PR and the citizenship process is usually smooth if you don't have a criminal record, etc.
Hello, congratulations on your decision - it is not easy for us to go through another process with IRCC after applying for study, WP and PR but it is worth.

1. As long as you pass the mark of 1095 days present in Canada you should be good to apply to citizenship. It doesn't matter what type of profession or studies you have, but you must also have filed at least 3 taxes within 5 years of eligibility.

2. That is something that nobody has answers as each process is different, your case is different from mine for example. So keep in mind the processing time frame is at least 14 months as per official website. The way you will "enjoy" the process will depend entirely on you.

Mar 29, 2024
Hello, congratulations on your decision - it is not easy for us to go through another process with IRCC after applying for study, WP and PR but it is worth.

1. As long as you pass the mark of 1095 days present in Canada you should be good to apply to citizenship. It doesn't matter what type of profession or studies you have, but you must also have filed at least 3 taxes within 5 years of eligibility.

2. That is something that nobody has answers as each process is different, your case is different from mine for example. So keep in mind the processing time frame is at least 14 months as per official website. The way you will "enjoy" the process will depend entirely on you.
Thanks for your reply. I think what I'm trying to know is if files can get "stuck" for years like they do with PR applications? Is it as common for citizenships applications as well? In most of the threads, I do see people being processed in 6 months or less so I am not sure if the 14 months timeframe is accurate.

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I think what I'm trying to know is if files can get "stuck" for years like they do with PR applications? Is it as common for citizenships applications as well? In most of the threads, I do see people being processed in 6 months or less so I am not sure if the 14 months timeframe is accurate.
Like I said, it is really hard to tell as life situations-applications are different. Recently November applicants are already receiving oath invite, AORs being delivered in 3 days for March applicants, but there are still people from previous years still waiting for something - in short there is no way to answer that

Mar 29, 2024
Like I said, it is really hard to tell as life situations-applications are different. Recently November applicants are already receiving oath invite, AORs being delivered in 3 days for March applicants, but there are still people from previous years still waiting for something - in short there is no way to answer that
Damn. I used to think that citizenship would be less complicated than PR.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There's no reason to think (that I'm aware of) that studying will cause problems - you'll have documents to show you were studying, after all.

The way IRCC looks at timeframes: 14 months is not the average or mean; they use the most recent time period (weeks I believe but possibly months) for which 80% of the cohort was completed (I believe to oath stage but not certain). They don't weight the number of weeks or anything like that.

It follows then that well more than half will get approvals in time periods shorter - often substantially - than 14 months. Even half at six months or whatever your impression is.

And yes, there are some stuck from previous years (or it looks like it), and there is no telling how long the 20% that take longer than 14 months will require to get completed.

sri88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2022

you are good to go. I applied while I am in my studies.. and I got approved. there is no requirement of work history. Hope u have filed your taxes these years…

Mar 29, 2024
There's no reason to think (that I'm aware of) that studying will cause problems - you'll have documents to show you were studying, after all.

The way IRCC looks at timeframes: 14 months is not the average or mean; they use the most recent time period (weeks I believe but possibly months) for which 80% of the cohort was completed (I believe to oath stage but not certain). They don't weight the number of weeks or anything like that.

It follows then that well more than half will get approvals in time periods shorter - often substantially - than 14 months. Even half at six months or whatever your impression is.

And yes, there are some stuck from previous years (or it looks like it), and there is no telling how long the 20% that take longer than 14 months will require to get completed.
Oh oh! That doesn't sound so good. So it's exactly like PR then. Hopefully with online applications, processing times will come down :-(

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Oh oh! That doesn't sound so good. So it's exactly like PR then. Hopefully with online applications, processing times will come down :-(
Perhaps. I think the thing to look at is that for most with rather simple applications - including those that have eg three straight years of residency - the average figure might be the most relevant.

Feb 21, 2024
Perhaps. I think the thing to look at is that for most with rather simple applications - including those that have eg three straight years of residency - the average figure might be the most relevant.
Do they care at all what you did before you became a PR? For example, after getting my IM-1 visa, I went to France for three months on a student visa to look for some PhD positions. Once I couldn't find them, I abandoned my French study visa and landed in Canada to fully dedicate myself to live in Canada. Can something like this be considered as a "red flag"? If I would've gotten a PhD position, I probably would've abandoned my PR but since I didn't, I landed and didn't leave for one day during my eligibility period. Can I expect usual/normal processing?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do they care at all what you did before you became a PR? For example, after getting my IM-1 visa, I went to France for three months on a student visa to look for some PhD positions. Once I couldn't find them, I abandoned my French study visa and landed in Canada to fully dedicate myself to live in Canada. Can something like this be considered as a "red flag"? If I would've gotten a PhD position, I probably would've abandoned my PR but since I didn't, I landed and didn't leave for one day during my eligibility period. Can I expect usual/normal processing?
I think you've already spent 100-10000X more time late at night thinking of imaginary problems than IRCC is going to spend even thinking about your three months elsewhere.

in other words, you're overthinking and catastrophizing.

Feb 21, 2024
I think you've already spent 100-10000X more time late at night thinking of imaginary problems than IRCC is going to spend even thinking about your three months elsewhere.

in other words, you're overthinking and catastrophizing.
But I am being wrong here? My French study visa was granted for 2 years, I looked for some PhD positions and left in three months and abandoned my status. Canada might think what I was doing in France before landing as PR. Do I need to include a letter of explanation or something?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But I am being wrong here? My French study visa was granted for 2 years, I looked for some PhD positions and left in three months and abandoned my status. Canada might think what I was doing in France before landing as PR. Do I need to include a letter of explanation or something?
Yes, you're wrong. They don't care. You did whatever you did, and that's fine. What matters is that you're settled in Canada and have the residence days required. I dont' see you have anything to explain.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You are over thinking. Just tell them that you were studying. As long as you have the physical present days and have proof that you studied in Canada, you are fine.
Canada doesn't force their PRs to work in order to get citizenship. Or care that you studied somewhere else before you settled in Canada.

btw. I hope you have filed tax event without income, it's good for you. (likely get credit on things like GST etc)
again it's not a must do for citizenship. But if you did file tax, your NOA is another piece of proof that you can provide