+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"I respect myself too much to stay in Canada": Why so many new immigrants are leaving

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Hi, IPULL!

Yeah, I believe, this is kind of the main point. I am no expert by any means, nor I understand all nuances of economics and immigration. However, I apply a very old-fashioned scientific method - look, observe, and my excel spreadsheet. I tend to agree with the author of the video - Canada, its current state, is not a reasonable choice to immigrate. In most cases it will devour all savings, leaves hang to dry. Leaving from pay check to pay check is becoming a norm for significant, majority of immigrants and even "old/new Canadians". Taxes are way too high, and, in some cases- ridiculous. Healthcare is inaccessible and broken. Salaries are low to have some savings. Great indicator and example of this is - bank service fees. Three years ago CIBC would charge an account a month service fee of $6.95 (for certain account types) if the owner has less than $2000 on the account. Now the threshold has been raised to $4000. In my opinion, this has been done simply because a huge majority of people doesn't even have that much money in their checking account, so the bank eat their fees. Sure, there are other banking options, and they can be explored as alternatives, and it is another topic. But they are all new, and predatory in other ways. Having less than $4000 in your bank account is a ticking bomb. Any life emergency will make you homeless in a heartbeat. Dental emergency, car engine light goes on, natural catastrophe, god forbid another pandemic, family emergencies etc.. Prices are ridiculous high and inflated (recent news stories and articles about artificial prices of bread being way too high.) Housing is luxury now. Decent places is hard to get, and if you are lucky to be one of those getting it (given you have a good credit score, references, solid bake statement, good income job) it costs way too much, and will be about 50% or even more of your income. Leaving you with nothing left. Don't get me wrong, this is not just Canada.

When I was getting ready for my Citizenship test. I felt so much pride and hour of learning the history, facts, cultural points about Canada. I was so hyped and honoured to be come part of this great Canadian community. However, I am quite disappointed now with the current state of things. What will happen with millions and millions of people who don't have any savings and grow old? The tread of loneliness is growing. What will happen to all of those people when they reach 65 with no savings, no housing, no families? I don't think people in charge are nearly worried enough.

But I have hope for the better! I believe in people's rational and sanity. It is still a democratic country, and we will be able to make the right decision through voting. There should be and will be justice through the democratic process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Respectfully, to the heritage, history, culture (multiculturalism), politicians have destroyed a generation. This is what happens when most of our government are also landlords. Including our housing minister buying two rental properties since 2021.

Stop saying anything about greed, supply, cost, salary. Yes those are important but trust me, nothing will matter so long as the politicians are also involved in the housing market.

You can harp on about everything. But unless policy changes it won't be a lasting fix or even a fix. The policy makers are part of the problems and they set the rules.

You basically need to migrate across the country to find something affordable. It's almost as far as driving from Spain to Ukraine as it is from Toronto to Calgary.

Cost of housing is an issue in the most of the world so you can’t place blame solely on Canada. Quantitative easing, low interest rates, making housing a large part of your GDP, lax lending rules, not enough building in a large portion of the world has lead to housing prices that are unaffordable to most.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
"Canadian standards"

senior foreign qualified doctors and surgeons can work at the top of their professions in the UK, Ireland and Australia and in most Caribbean nations (ie most English-speaking countries) without much hassle. In Canada, even if they pass the exam, they're considered fresh graduates. All their decades of skill and experience are worthless.

Canada is responsible for a lot of Colonial brain drain, from the developing world in particular. But those brains are being used to sweep floors.
If you are a consultant in the UK, Ireland, Australia, NZ, etc. it is actually quite easy to get licensed as a physician in Canada. Have an Irish pulmonologist.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, IPULL!

Yeah, I believe, this is kind of the main point. I am no expert by any means, nor I understand all nuances of economics and immigration. However, I apply a very old-fashioned scientific method - look, observe, and my excel spreadsheet. I tend to agree with the author of the video - Canada, its current state, is not a reasonable choice to immigrate. In most cases it will devour all savings, leaves hang to dry. Leaving from pay check to pay check is becoming a norm for significant, majority of immigrants and even "old/new Canadians". Taxes are way too high, and, in some cases- ridiculous. Healthcare is inaccessible and broken. Salaries are low to have some savings. Great indicator and example of this is - bank service fees. Three years ago CIBC would charge an account a month service fee of $6.95 (for certain account types) if the owner has less than $2000 on the account. Now the threshold has been raised to $4000. In my opinion, this has been done simply because a huge majority of people doesn't even have that much money in their checking account, so the bank eat their fees. Sure, there are other banking options, and they can be explored as alternatives, and it is another topic. But they are all new, and predatory in other ways. Having less than $4000 in your bank account is a ticking bomb. Any life emergency will make you homeless in a heartbeat. Dental emergency, car engine light goes on, natural catastrophe, god forbid another pandemic, family emergencies etc.. Prices are ridiculous high and inflated (recent news stories and articles about artificial prices of bread being way too high.) Housing is luxury now. Decent places is hard to get, and if you are lucky to be one of those getting it (given you have a good credit score, references, solid bake statement, good income job) it costs way too much, and will be about 50% or even more of your income. Leaving you with nothing left. Don't get me wrong, this is not just Canada.

When I was getting ready for my Citizenship test. I felt so much pride and hour of learning the history, facts, cultural points about Canada. I was so hyped and honoured to be come part of this great Canadian community. However, I am quite disappointed now with the current state of things. What will happen with millions and millions of people who don't have any savings and grow old? The tread of loneliness is growing. What will happen to all of those people when they reach 65 with no savings, no housing, no families? I don't think people in charge are nearly worried enough.

But I have hope for the better! I believe in people's rational and sanity. It is still a democratic country, and we will be able to make the right decision through voting. There should be and will be justice through the democratic process.
Not saying there isn’t issues but look at similar countries and all facing similar issues. From housing to healthcare to the price of goods you will find similar pressures is similar countries just look at the UK, Australia, etc.

IPULL

May 30, 2023
Hi, IPULL!

My reality is that I came 12 years ago from Germany, I didn’t immigrate for economical reasons! I married a Canadian in Germany and he wanted to come back to Canada, so I followed along. Marriage ended and I was alone with my Canadian born child trying to “survive”! Now I have a beautiful rental that costs an arm and a leg, I wouldn’t be able to buy a house! I work my butt off, didn’t go on a vacation since 2016. I finance a car and so on. There’s not much left at the end of the month! There’s no way I could save up for a down payment. And the scariest thing is how will my child be able to afford life? The future is grimm! Sometimes I wish I was able to return back home where I have a support system but my child’s dad wouldn’t allow. Therefore I’m stuck here

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Not saying there isn’t issues but look at similar countries and all facing similar issues. From housing to healthcare to the price of goods you will find similar pressures is similar countries just look at the UK, Australia, etc.
Yes! Agree! The problem is absolutely not isolated just to Canada.
My reality is that I came 12 years ago from Germany, I didn’t immigrate for economical reasons! I married a Canadian in Germany and he wanted to come back to Canada, so I followed along. Marriage ended and I was alone with my Canadian born child trying to “survive”! Now I have a beautiful rental that costs an arm and a leg, I wouldn’t be able to buy a house! I work my butt off, didn’t go on a vacation since 2016. I finance a car and so on. There’s not much left at the end of the month! There’s no way I could save up for a down payment. And the scariest thing is how will my child be able to afford life? The future is grimm! Sometimes I wish I was able to return back home where I have a support system but my child’s dad wouldn’t allow. Therefore I’m stuck here
That's is really unfair to you. Being a single mom is not easy, but being a single mom without support is freaking a nightmare. I hope you guy can reach some kind of compromise.
My situation is nothing like yours, however, I understand how it is difficult to be far away from your support "grid", loved ones, family and friends. My family is scattered all around the globe: US, Germany, Poland, Ukraine, China, I am in Canada. It is a miracle when we get all together once in 5-7 years.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Yours is a difficult situation and I wish you well. Housing costs are completely out of control in most large North American cities. There's a reckoning to follow at some point, but, for now, it is making life very difficult for most wage earners. And though Canada has a better social safety net than the USA, housing is still consuming an ever larger portion of income.

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
A news article dropped today: More than half of Canadians $200 away or less from missing bill payments: MNP - National | Globalnews.ca :(

Highlights:
  • A July report by insolvency firm MNP Ltd. says 52% of Canadians say they are $200 away or less from not being able to pay all of their bills at the end of the month as higher interest rates and a rising cost of living have stretched budgets. The result is up six percentage points from 46% in April.
  • MNP president Grant Bazian says the escalating burden of household bills and food prices has intensified Canadians’ financial anxiety and is further compounded by increased debt-servicing costs, particularly for those who are deeply indebted.
  • 35% of those asked say they already don’t make enough to cover their bills and debt payments, up from 30% in April and a record high for the survey.
  • A record 48% of those surveyed are concerned about their current level of debt.
Even though the number is something hard to believe in. The survey is not linked in the article, I still think it is somewhat accurate! A full time job at slightly better than minimum wage, which is the majority of jobs, barely approaches the cost of rent, food, and utilities. That assumes no recurring debt payments as well, honestly I would be surprised if more than half of Canadians are having to choose which bills to be late on on a regular basis.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
A news article dropped today: More than half of Canadians $200 away or less from missing bill payments: MNP - National | Globalnews.ca :(

Highlights:
  • A July report by insolvency firm MNP Ltd. says 52% of Canadians say they are $200 away or less from not being able to pay all of their bills at the end of the month as higher interest rates and a rising cost of living have stretched budgets. The result is up six percentage points from 46% in April.
  • MNP president Grant Bazian says the escalating burden of household bills and food prices has intensified Canadians’ financial anxiety and is further compounded by increased debt-servicing costs, particularly for those who are deeply indebted.
  • 35% of those asked say they already don’t make enough to cover their bills and debt payments, up from 30% in April and a record high for the survey.
  • A record 48% of those surveyed are concerned about their current level of debt.
Even though the number is something hard to believe in. The survey is not linked in the article, I still think it is somewhat accurate! A full time job at slightly better than minimum wage, which is the majority of jobs, barely approaches the cost of rent, food, and utilities. That assumes no recurring debt payments as well, honestly I would be surprised if more than half of Canadians are having to choose which bills to be late on on a regular basis.
This isn’t new, it’s been the case for many years.

From 2017:
https://globalnews.ca/news/3434447/over-half-of-canadians-are-200-or-less-away-from-not-being-able-to-pay-bills/amp/

2012:
https://halifax.citynews.ca/2019/01/21/46-of-canadians-200-or-less-away-from-financial-insolvency-poll/

Last edited:
Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Holy chick! These are almost verbatum. Thank you for investigating and sharing. You rock, @johnjkjk This is just another statement to not blindly jump into believing and trusting any piece of news/articles that come out.

You / we are in control of our own lives, decisions and freedoms!

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
The second article is from 2019, thats the day when it was posted, you can even see it in the hyperlink
Fair enough my bad but this has been in the news for 20 years with headlines such as "% of Canadians can't meet an unexpected expense" "have less than $500 in the bank" etc etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Mounat

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
Fair enough my bad but this has been in the news for 20 years with headlines such as "% of Canadians can't meet an unexpected expense" "have less than $500 in the bank" etc etc
For real. That was me 24 years ago when I moved to the US. I was broke AF.