+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I need your opinion please!

dolfin

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Hello folks,

may I kindly know your opinion on my profile and chances before I submit my study permit application (I am admitted to this fall & my CAQ has just been issued so I am ready to submit but I am working on my LoE - home ties papers and stuff)

Academic record:

- High school: 98.9% - 5th rank on the country

- college: Excellent-Honour (GPA 3.9/4.0 ECE USA evaluators) - 5th rank also on the batch - Dentistry

- IELTS: 7.5

- NBDE 1 & 2 (that is a national board exam of the US required for licensing there)

Non-academic:

won couple of awards (1st place on the country) back in high school country e.g. Literary essay - Poetry recital

Home ties (most scary part for me :/)

*Current and future employment:

current : associate dentist in a private clinic - good salary in my country, but when currency converted it seems small (around 300 USD per month)

future: Already accepted as a teaching assistant in my faculty (Public University) but have not started yet (but got the proof that I was assigned the job)

*Living with two old parents:

Don't know how to prove this, but their national ID shows the address of our apartment that im gonna present its contract as stated below (not sure if this is enough ? :/)

P.S I am their only son living in the same city - got one sis in another city - others are abroad.

*Dad apartment (shows that Mom & Dad are living here and I live with them, so I will be getting back to them)

*My car (around 6500 USD worthy car)

Funding:

- Full Scholarship (Tuition - Living Expenses and housing - Airfare - Health insurance)

- My bank account showing 13000 CAD (same used for PR)

- other bank account with around 24,000 USD ( but I might think twice before presenting it, as its due to selling of our other apartment & I'm not sure if CIC would like the idea of a bulk of money deposited at once)

Program of study:

MSc Microbiology & Immunology - Faculty of Medicine - McGill University

Note: although it's a Medicine (not dentistry) program, but the supervisor is prof at both faculties of Medicine and Dentistry, and the research thesis will be on a dental microbiology project

Another note: I am assigned as a demonstrator in Oral Biology Department, where the MSc is supposed to grant me promtion into an assistant lecturer after I get back.

Future Plan: after masters, get back to home country, get promoted and then look for pursuing PhD in Canada or the US

Note: not sure if this is realistic - in CIC eyes - with me having a PR application in process ?

I am sorry for the long post, it's just I am witnessing CRAZY rejections for study permits, and I am extremely nervous that I would run into a roadblock of either having insufficient country ties, or taking my PR application as a sign that I am not getting back by the VO. although I am aware dual intent is allowed, but haven't come across a similar case)
and any rejection would cost me deferring of study and I'm not sure if it might affect my scholarship as well.

Any input is appreciated, thank you!

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
It feels good to see people excelling in their studies. Your academics is enviable.

Dual intent is fine as long as you show good ties to home country. To that end, can you get some property in your name? That will help.

Drop the PhD in Canada thing from future plans.

You must elaborate how this degree will help you to improve in your career in HOME COUNTRY.

Make sure funding is clearly mentioned and CONFIRMED in university letters.
You can make fixed deposit of 24K in your name. That will do as well.

Explain your emotional ties with your parents. But don't play that ball too hard. You are in PR application, that would contradict.

Pay 1st semester tuition fees. Will be good to prove that you are bona-fide student.

Good luck!

Reactions: dolfin

dolfin

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
It feels good to see people excelling in their studies. Your academics is enviable.

Dual intent is fine as long as you show good ties to home country. To that end, can you get some property in your name? That will help.

Drop the PhD in Canada thing from future plans.

You must elaborate how this degree will help you to improve in your career in HOME COUNTRY.

Make sure funding is clearly mentioned and CONFIRMED in university letters.
You can make fixed deposit of 24K in your name. That will do as well.

Explain your emotional ties with your parents. But don't play that ball too hard. You are in PR application, that would contradict.

Pay 1st semester tuition fees. Will be good to prove that you are bona-fide student.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot, that was really helpful!

as far as funding is concerned, do you think I still need to make that fixed deposit or pay the 1st semester even after showing that the scholarship got all the expenses covered?

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
More is always better. But, it is not required. 13K + university funding + 1st semester tuition fees receipt will do.

Reactions: dolfin