+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT PR

ROGER SIMON

Oct 16, 2014
I became PR in January 2014. I have only been in Canada for about 60 days. The reason is that when got to Canada in January I couldn't get job quick, due to the winter I guess not use to. And I could still keep my job back in my country.I have been working oversea. But my family is fully in Canada. My wife just got full time job, Have visited them twice this year and I will be there in the next one month to stay 30 days. I plan to stay back fully in Canada next year march when I would have ended my oversea work.

My question is that I am on the right track to maintain my residency? I have never worked in Canada, Do stand any PR defaults issue? I want to know how long I can be out without working in Canada as PR.

Please I need advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many PR holders living in Canada don't work. There is no issues. They can continue their lifestyles as long as they wish.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read the multiple threads on the forum...they detail a Residence Obligation which is also in the paperwork that was included in your PR Card envelope. PRs need 730 days of physical presence in each 5 year rolling period. First 5 year window is that to the 5th anniversary of your landing. Once you are a PR for 5 or more years then RO is each 5 year rolling period back from the 'examination' date = POE admission, sponsorship, PRTD/PR Card renewal application. At any of this 'examination' points CBSA/CIC can report you if in breach of the RO. If you appeal you get your day in court to argue why you are in breach of the RO. As per case law lifestyle reasons such as a better job overseas don't cut it - there are hundreds of thousands of PRs living and working in Canada as the PR status was meant to confer on them...its not a glorified visitors visa.