+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have been arrested & detained for domestic assault. Will this affect my PR process.

demonpreet

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
@bubagump
Hi, I am in a similiar situation without any family support. If you don't mind, can you message me so that we can talk about it.
Your experiences will help me cope with it and possible come out of it. I will really appreciate it.

PR0099

Mar 27, 2024
@bubagump Hi, I'm also in a similar situation both me and my wife have been arrested of charges - cc 266 but police dint take us to jail rather asked us not to contact with each other and live separately until further notice, my PR application is in its last stage of processing.
Fingers prints and first court date are in next month.
Should I inform IRCC about this arrest?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
@bubagump Hi, I'm also in a similar situation both me and my wife have been arrested of charges - cc 266 but police dint take us to jail rather asked us not to contact with each other and live separately until further notice, my PR application is in its last stage of processing.
Yes. otherwise it's misrepresentation. Unlikely your application can move to the next stage until court date.

inafix123

May 20, 2024
Whenever the crown prosecutor called to update on the case, the wife gave a templated reply: "I have no charges and the police over reacted because we were not white". Something along the lines of implied intention "I wont be cooperating with you and wont appear in court". The prosecutor dropped the charges after the prosecutor got fed up that wife wont cooperate and no meat for the case. This is such a waste of money for the Canadian tax payers when they should be looking into genuine cases than trying to lock up every husband of wives who call 911 on an impulse or revengeful neighbours.
Hi @bubagump , I have a similar case and would like to discuss some details with you. Is that possible please?

inafix123

May 20, 2024
Whenever the crown prosecutor called to update on the case, the wife gave a templated reply: "I have no charges and the police over reacted because we were not white". Something along the lines of implied intention "I wont be cooperating with you and wont appear in court". The prosecutor dropped the charges after the prosecutor got fed up that wife wont cooperate and no meat for the case. This is such a waste of money for the Canadian tax payers when they should be looking into genuine cases than trying to lock up every husband of wives who call 911 on an impulse or revengeful neighbours.
Hi @bubagump , I am scared and alone. They made me say things I did not want to say because they said "they just wanted to talk". I did not know my rights. Next thing I know, they have my husband put on no-contact. They have no evidence unless they made something up. I have no idea how to know what they have charged him with. I will appreciate any details around how to find a lawyer, how to find the report they have made and how to remove the no-contact if possible. There is too much information around, and I am lost. Please help!

Last edited:

inafix123

May 20, 2024
Hi, eager to know what happened next? Did you have to go to court?

inafix123

May 20, 2024
My PR process was about to get over and then a domestic assault event happened with me and my wife. We both fought among each other for a stupid reason. Unfortunately she called police on an impulse and I got arrested and detained. I was released on bail for $1000 and asked not to be near wife or contact her again. The court date is set as
January 14th 2021. My work permit expires October 30th 2020 and I have given it for renewal (long before this incident).

The court asked my passport to be submitted as a condition of my bail along with not going anywhere near my wife.

My question is:

1. If I submit my passport, how will I stamp TRV visa on the passport for work permit ?
2.If our PR application gets approved, because my passport is held by court, I cant send the passport for PPR request.

Finally, in my release order I am charged under ( 266b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Can I ask the court to give my passport for visa stamping ? Its a long wait for court date and if something happens back home, I cant go to India as my passport is held.
This hold up of passport has crippled everything. Is it possible to modify the bail condition with a lawyer ? I was also asked to submit passport within 7 days which is not possible as the passport is in safety deposit box and that bank branch is closed due to Corona.

Can anyone please comment on what I should do and what are my chances of getting a PR. My wife is also on the PR application and she said to Crown that she has no complaints now. So probably I wont get charged on my court date.
I have a few questions that you can help me with :
1) what did she say to the police earlier?
2) how did she tell the Crown that what she said was not the case, without implicating lying to them?
3) Did she have to get a lawyer as well?
4) How long did this take to completely resolve?
5) Will fingerprints stay on record? Will it affect any formalities later at any time? How does job get affected?

I will be very grateful for this clarity @bubagump !