+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got a job and my tourist visa is almost expired. Now what?

wtfrutalkingabout

Oct 17, 2012
I entered Canada exactly 5 months ago today, I found an employer with open LMO who hired me.
Now, my plan is to go and get the work permit at the border instead of leaving Canada and come back, the problem is that my tourist visa is only good for 6 months.
I know that the processing time for a work permit shouldn't take more than 2 months since my employer already has an open LMO, and my tourist visa expires in a month... so should I extend it?
And when I extend my tourist visa what should I say is the reason? should I say 'I found an employer and I'm waiting for my work permit' OR should I lie and say that I want to travel some more?

Thanks.

Gigi0712

Nov 11, 2012
It could be a yes or no, i mean that they will extend your visa. Submit your application for extension now because it takes sometime also for their decision, now giving you time to process your permit. When your visa expires and no decision yet for your application for extension you are not considered overstaying as long as you dont receive yet your request for extension. We have the same case however i went home to process my permit unfortunately it was not approved. So dont exit canada.

Ps..i applied for the second extension of my visit visa then, while processing a working permit, i wasn't granted a second extension and have to leave canada asap so i wont have a record of overstaying. So i went home instead,,goodluck!!!

wtfrutalkingabout

Oct 17, 2012
Gigi0712 said:
It could be a yes or no, i mean that they will extend your visa. Submit your application for extension now because it takes sometime also for their decision, now giving you time to process your permit. When your visa expires and no decision yet for your application for extension you are not considered overstaying as long as you dont receive yet your request for extension. We have the same case however i went home to process my permit unfortunately it was not approved. So dont exit canada.
May I ask why u didn't get the work permit? Was your application denied or when u got to Canada the immigration officer decided not to give u the work permit?

Gigi0712

Nov 11, 2012
I was deciding where to apply the permit, while waiting for the decision of my second extension request, it was denied, had no other choice but to process in my home country. Permit was not approved for reason..visa officer was not satisfied that i would leave canada after the contract or something like that.

wtfrutalkingabout

Oct 17, 2012
Gigi0712 said:
I was deciding where to apply the permit, while waiting for the decision of my second extension request, it was denied, had no other choice but to process in my home country. Permit was not approved for reason..visa officer was not satisfied that i would leave canada after the contract or something like that.
Probably cause u asked to extend your tourist visa twice..... and just out of curiosity, was your job type high or low skilled? Cause I'm thinking maybe your job wasn't in demand and your employer just got a positive LMO by mistake or something..
And when u asked to extend, how long before your tourist visa expired did u ask, how long did it take u to get answer and how long was your new tourist visa valid for?

Thanks.

Gigi0712

Nov 11, 2012
45 days before the expiry of my visa, i applied for an extention and it took 2 months to get the decision, in that case my current visa was then expired before i got the letter. My employer even sponsored me twice, it was a good job offer..maybe that visa officer sensed that im not returning home after the contract with my employer hahaha...Your case maybe different, process now your work permit before your visit visa expires.

wtfrutalkingabout

Oct 17, 2012
Gigi0712 said:
45 days before the expiry of my visa, i applied for an extention and it took 2 months to get the decision, in that case my current visa was then expired before i got the letter. My employer even sponsored me twice, it was a good job offer..maybe that visa officer sensed that im not returning home after the contract with my employer hahaha...Your case maybe different, process now your work permit before your visit visa expires.
I am gonna do it this week, but still I'm gonna have to extend my tourist visa which is basically my problem..
I think I'm gonna extend my tourist visa tomorrow and say that I wanna travel some more and a week after that apply for a work permit so when I go to the border I can tell the immigration officer that I was offered a job and decided to work after I applied for an extension for the tourist visa.
I can always say that Canadian dollars worth much more then the money in my country so that'll give me the chance to save a lot of money and then go back home and study or something like that.
Sounds convincing?

Gigi0712

Nov 11, 2012
My first reason when i applied for an extension the first time, to visit more and spend some time with my grandma, it was approved. Second time reason planning to study maybe i guess thats why it was refused. May i ask from what country are you? And yes start applying for your extension.

wtfrutalkingabout

Oct 17, 2012
Gigi0712 said:
My first reason when i applied for an extension the first time, to visit more and spend some time with my grandma, it was approved. Second time reason planning to study maybe i guess thats why it was refused. May i ask from what country are you? And yes start applying for your extension.
I'm from Israel, and unfortunately I don't have any relatives here in Canada. I'm pretty much living on my savings right now, I spent a lot of money since I got here which is why I want to start working asap, if I were to leave Canada and come back it'd cost me more than staying here cause a flight ticket back here cost more than 1500$ and right now I'm staying with friends that I met here so I pay low rent and we buy groceries together and everything, plus my employer already has positive LMO with no name and he told me processing time is 4 to 6 weeks, so I might as well just stay here and apply at the border.

Gigi0712

Nov 11, 2012
I understand your situation..best of luck then and again no more delays on your application for extension and your work permit.