+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

i found out i have rites to canadian citizenship, but have questions

reesie07

Mar 8, 2010
i recently crossed the border with my mother who was born in toronto and then adopted into the states, when we crossed they said that i can get citizenship so me and my fiance who is canadian, can live together legally in canada, and i can work, they said that it will take about 2 months to get the citizenship card then the SIN # so i can work. but until i get the paperwork finished can i apply for work in canada? can i start looking for work? they did tell me that i can legally live there with him because i have every rite to be there seeings how i am a canadian as well.

haman

Apr 9, 2010
I am not sure about you being Canadian, but if you were told by officials then they know it better. Regarding work in Canada, You can not work here LEGALLY without a SIN number.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
That's not correct. If you are a Canadian citizen, you are completely allowed can work in Canada. The issue is that it is hard to prove to an employer that you are allowed to work, before you get the SIN, especially so if you do not yet have proof of citizenship. Many employers will not employ someone without a SIN for that reason. However, neither you nor the employer would be breaking any laws by working / employing you.

The border officer was quite correct that if your parent was born in Canada, then you are already a citizen - all you need is proof of that and then you can get a SIN, provincial health care, etc after you arrive.

reesie07

Mar 8, 2010
well thank you very much. i want to go to school there and work there asap. classes start in june so i want to go to school there even if i dont get my paperwork by then, so you think i can still apply for a job now and hopefully i get the paperwork before being hired, and of course i would b honest to the employer that i am waiting on paperwork, but i want to know if this is ok to do, or should i just wait till the papers come so that i can go further with no hassles?