+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I don't know which road I should take to settle here after my studies.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Hello,

After several searches here and there , I am still confused ! And I do not know what to do and I can't find any help at the university.

First of all , I am a student coming from France as an exchange student for the last year of bachelor of computer science at Montreal University.

I want to stay and work here after my graduation , my studies end at the end of April , while my study permit ends on 31/08/2016.

I must do an internship for a month and half to obtain my bachelor degree ( which will be from FRANCE and not CANADA).

1) To do an internship , do I need a work permit ?! ( The internship isn't credited here ! Which means it is not in my program here but I must do an internship and show the certificate to my university in France in order to get my Bachelor validated.).

2)To get a work permit , I must get a job offer ! Which confuses me ! How can I get a job offer when I didn't have my bachelor yet ??

3) If I want to apply for the CSQ , I looked online and there are many categories , I do not know if I should apply under the skilled workers or the exerience class !

in both cases , it is written in the description ( You came here as a student and you are about to be graduated from a Quebec university and looking for to stay and work). I do not know if it applies on me since my bachelor is from France and not Quebec..

And this goes also to the graduated work permit , it requires a univeristy from Quebec :/

And help on which road should I take ?

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Yes - you need a work permit if you want to participate in an internship in Canada.
2) Yes - you need a full time job offer in order to obtain a work permit. Your employer must also obtain an approved LMIA before you can apply for the work permit. The LMIA process takes months to obtain and costs the employer $1K in fees plus advertising costs. It's pretty much impossible to get an LMIA approved for an internship (to get an approved LMIA, your employer has to prove that no Canadian could be found for the role). You should assume you are not going to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA process for an internship.

There is another option you can consider which is the working holiday visa program. This program allows a small number of people to come to Canada on a working holiday visa each year which allows you to work without finding an employer first. This program is currently closed and won't reopen again until April of next year. The downside is that spots are limited and are snapped up extremely quickly and many people miss out. Last year these visas were offered in two batches and each time they were all snapped up in less than two minutes. So there is absolutely no guarantee you will be able to secure a working holiday visa. You can find more information about the working holiday visa program here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=fr&cat=wh

Your degree will be regarded as a degree earned in France - not a degree earned in Canada. You will not qualify for a post graduate work permit. These work permits are reserved for individuals who completed all of their studies in Canada and graduated (earned their degree) from Canada. You do not meet these requirements.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Okay so now I do not know what to do if I want to get a job here after graduation.

The graduated work permit is for those who got their degree from Canada.

And if I want to get a work permit , I should get hired first , how could I get hired into a job when I don't have a work permit? Will the employer wait untill I get it ?

plus for the CSQ , can I apply for it while I am studying here ?

I mean If I apply at december and I will get my bachelor by the end of april , is it possible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you don't need to get hired in order to get a work permit. You need a full time written job offer from an employer and also an approved LMIA from the employer. Then you can apply for a work permit.

You can apply for PR while you are here studying if you meet the criteria of the immigration program.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
I think the PR step comes after the CSQ?

and I have sent to my university an email asking for a letter to show that I need to do an internship.

And for the work permit , I got it ;) yet if I am graduated at the end of april and my study permit ends at the end of august ,I must have a job offer before my study permit expires and then I would be able to apply for work permit.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Okay my university referent has answered me and said that since I am not considered as a student here , it makes things complicated to find an internship and it is really hard to find a company , unless I find a French company , in that case, I think it may accept me.

I still do not know if I am able to apply for work permit after my graduation.

And in case of immigration and applying for CSQ , I don't know which category to take , the regular or the experience !

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Start here, by evaluating your eligibility for immigration to Quebec:
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/fr/immigrer-installer/travailleurs-permanents/epi.html

With the information you have given, you are not eligible for PEQ, at the moment.

You might be eligible for the regular QSW program. Try the evaluation tool, then see links in my signature.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Thank you for your reply and your topic really helps!

By the way , I can't find the Computer Science/software eng. ( Informaticien/ Genie logiciel ) in the list where there are codes !

Does it mean that my field isn't really demanded ?

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
The evaluation says that I can apply

vous faites une demande en tant que travailleur, consultez la section Demande de certificat de sélection et annexes - Travailleurs permanents.

I can apply as a permanent worker

Application for Selection Certificate – Skilled Worker – Principal applicant, spouse or de facto spouse (A-0520-AA)

I would like to know can I apply without having a job yet ? as a Student who will be graduated soon and have his french bachelor?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YoussefZaky said:
Thank you for your reply and your topic really helps!

By the way , I can't find the Computer Science/software eng. ( Informaticien/ Genie logiciel )in the list where there are codes !

Does it mean that my field isn't really demanded ?
It's on the list ;) !

YoussefZaky said:
The evaluation says that I can apply

vous faites une demande en tant que travailleur, consultez la section Demande de certificat de sélection et annexes - Travailleurs permanents.

I can apply as a permanent worker

Application for Selection Certificate – Skilled Worker – Principal applicant, spouse or de facto spouse (A-0520-AA)

I would like to know can I apply without having a job yet ? as a Student who will be graduated soon and have his french bachelor?
Go to the points grid (in my link). Calculate your points. You need at least 49 if you are single, 57 if married.

If you get those points, you are eligible and will be able to apply when the program opens.

(To get the necessary points you may need to wait until you have your degree.)

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Okay I understand .

I have a last question , do I have to sum the points in one section ? for example , the education part , I have universitaire 3 ans + .

Do I have to consider a 14 point or 14 + all of the above?

and I have DELF B2 I took it when I was 14 years old , can I consider it and how many points does it gives me ? because it is not mentioned

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YoussefZaky said:
Okay I understand .

I have a last question , do I have to sum the points in one section ? for example , the education part , I have universitaire 3 ans + .

Do I have to consider a 14 point or 14 + all of the above?

and I have DELF B2 I took it when I was 14 years old , can I consider it and how many points does it gives me ? because it is not mentioned
Universitaire 1er cycle is 10 points (you get the points for your highest level of education ). Then you add the points for "domaine de formation" (see the list).

Language test results must be less than 2 years old at the time of application.

Source: http://www.midi.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/gpi-npi/composantes_3/gpi-3-1.pdf

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Ok then for my education I have 1er cycle 3 ans d'etudes = 14 + 16 ( Computer science ) which makes 30 .

and for the langauge test , DAMN ! I thought my DELF would be considered !

I can redo it anyway and I think I can go thro the DALF C1 .

Omg

and of course If I have no job offer or work permit , I can still apply for CSQ under this section , Right ?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YoussefZaky said:
Ok then for my education I have 1er cycle 3 ans d'etudes = 14 + 16 ( Computer science ) which makes 30 .
Why do you think you get 14 pts for your education? 1er cycle 3 ans d'etudes =10 Pts, plus 16 for "domaine de formation, yes.

and for the langauge test , DAMN ! I thought my DELF would be considered !

I can redo it anyway and I think I can go thro the DALF C1 .

Omg

and of course If I have no job offer or work permit , I can still apply for CSQ under this section , Right ?
Yes, once the program opens