+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I don't have a stamp in my passport?

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
My husband and I are getting ready to apply for permanent residency through family sponsorship. He is a Canadian citizen, and I am an American citizen. I am currently in Canada with him (as a visitor at the moment). I was looking through the document checklist for the PR application and noticed that they want to see a stamp in your passport of your most recent entry to Canada. I entered by land (at the border crossing in Niagara Falls, ON) and did not receive a stamp in my passport. What should I do? Has anyone else experienced this? Will I have to leave and re-enter? I am afraid that by doing that I might be denied re-entry (I am just paranoid).

Prelude

Star Member
Feb 28, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 17, 2015
AOR Received.
November 6, 2015
Med's Request
Done Upfront
Med's Done....
July 11, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM: March 22, 2016 / Rec'd COPR: Mar 24, 2016
LANDED..........
March 25, 2016!
Are you applying inland, then? I remember the inland app asking for the passport stamp, definitely.

When you came up, did you get a visitor record or anything? They might take the date off that in lieu of a stamp, but don't quote me on it.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
christinamh said:
My husband and I are getting ready to apply for permanent residency through family sponsorship. He is a Canadian citizen, and I am an American citizen. I am currently in Canada with him (as a visitor at the moment). I was looking through the document checklist for the PR application and noticed that they want to see a stamp in your passport of your most recent entry to Canada. I entered by land (at the border crossing in Niagara Falls, ON) and did not receive a stamp in my passport. What should I do? Has anyone else experienced this? Will I have to leave and re-enter? I am afraid that by doing that I might be denied re-entry (I am just paranoid).
Inland or outland? If outland, this is definitely not necessary as you are American, they don't stamp American passports that I've seen (though maybe you can request it). Some of the info in these applications is generic, some countries are visa-exempt thus may not get a stamp.

If it is some special req. for inland though, then I have no idea. I suggest reconsidering and applying outland as an American if that is the case, since it can be blazingly fast.

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Aquakitty said:
Inland or outland? If outland, this is definitely not necessary as you are American, they don't stamp American passports that I've seen (though maybe you can request it). Some of the info in these applications is generic, some countries are visa-exempt thus may not get a stamp.

If it is some special req. for inland though, then I have no idea. I suggest reconsidering and applying outland as an American if that is the case, since it can be blazingly fast.
So to apply Outland I doubt have to actually leave Canada correct? I can just send my application to the processing center in my country? Also I thought applying inland was faster? No?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
christinamh said:
So to apply Outland I doubt have to actually leave Canada correct? I can just send my application to the processing center in my country? Also I thought applying inland was faster? No?
You should really start by reading the sticky thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

For Americans, most will be processed much faster outland. There's no guarantee though, you just have to go by average times reported by people on here. Expect around 9 months as a safe bet, though many go through faster. Yes you can remain in Canada as a visitor if you apply outland, but there is no open work permit pilot programme for outland, only inland.

christinamh

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Aquakitty said:
You should really start by reading the sticky thread http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

For Americans, most will be processed much faster outland. There's no guarantee though, you just have to go by average times reported by people on here. Expect around 9 months as a safe bet, though many go through faster. Yes you can remain in Canada as a visitor if you apply outland, but there is no open work permit pilot programme for outland, only inland.
Ok thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The open work permit doesn't apply to me as I work from home for an American company. So I can still work while I am in Canada, just not for a Canadian employer.

freshman

Star Member
Nov 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 14 2014
AOR Received.
Oct 28 2014 (Inland AOR - CIC's mistake)
File Transfer...
Dec 4 2014
Med's Request
Son's birth certificate request (Jun 11 2015)
Med's Done....
Oct 10 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM July 3 2015. CoPR July 8 2015
LANDED..........
July 19 2015
I think you can call the port you entered and they will give you instructions on how to apply for your entry record. That's what i did when my passport didn't get stamped at Maine-New Brunswick border. I think it took me about a month to get that entry record letter. But I didn't end up using that letter because I didn't end up submitting the application at that time. When I did submit my application, I didn't have a stamp on my passport again (Montreal airport custom didn't stamp it). So I just included a letter with my application saying that my passport didn't get stamped and I attached my flight tickets to that letter. I guess they were ok with that since I didn't get any other request from them regarding the stamp.

My case was very similar to yours, by the way. American citizen with Canadian husband. I applied outland and stayed in Canada as a visitor throughout the whole process. I had to extend my visitor status once. I could have left and reentered but I was afraid of being denied at reentry. Some people had to extend their visitor status twice. It all depends on how long you have been in Canada when you submit your application and how long your application process takes.

Outland is highly recommended by all the seniors on this forum to Americans with straight forward application. I took their suggestions and it worked out for me. A year ago I was ready to send off my inland application when I stumbled upon inland vs outland discussion. I changed my mind and applied outland instead.

Good luck with your application process! :)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
christinamh said:
So I can still work while I am in Canada, just not for a Canadian employer.
Mostly. There could be issues if the American company you work for has Canadian clients and you do work for those clients.