+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

i applied for citizenship but my PR will expire soon

RHH

Oct 30, 2014
hello, how long does it take to renew the PR?

I applied to citizenship 8 months ago and still in process but my PR will expire.

do you think i renew or wait ?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
RHH said:
hello, how long does it take to renew the PR?

I applied to citizenship 8 months ago and still in process but my PR will expire.

do you think i renew or wait ?
If you are traveling abroad in the near future, that is a reason to renew.

I let my PR card expire. While I actually already had the notice to appear for the interview before the card expired, that came just a week or so before the card expired. So I appeared at the interview with an expired card and turned in that expired card when I took the oath.

I had planned to apply for a new PR card within a month or two if there was no progress in my citizenship application. But there was.

Individual circumstances vary, however, and this is a personal decision. I carry a visa-exempt passport from another country so I was never at risk for problems traveling abroad if the need arose. Renewal dates for drivers license and provincial health care card were a long ways off (turns out they did not ask for any proof of status when I renewed my DL and for OHIP I recently learned they accept an expired PR card as proof of status, up to five years past the date of expiration). Generally there is no need for a PR to possess a currently valid PR card except for boarding transportation abroad that is destined for Canada.