+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am so close to submit the common-law sponsorship forms......but...

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Hi there,

My bf and I have been together for 2.5 years, and we have been working on the application forms for Common-law sponsorship for almost a year. Due to improved financial situation, we are able to formally submit the forms this month or next month the latest.... I just have some questions to ask you guys, PLEASE PLEASE help me!!

1) The IMM0008 (Use of Representatives): If both of us do not need representatives, do we still have to fill that in? There are two boxes for us to choose on the form: A: Appointing a representatives
B: Cancelling the appointment of representatives
Since we do not need any representatives, should we still check either one of the boxes? Or do not check the boxes at all?
2) Police Certificates: I have worked and lived in South Korea, Malaysia and USA for over 6 months... According to my understanding, I do not need to includes the certificates UNTIL CIC requests?? So do we just send out all the forms, documents and photos at the first stage of the application?

3) Inland/Outland: I am still struggling which way is the best for us. If i apply Inland, I will be able to get an open work permit..... Outland, no open work permit right? If I do apply Inland, which form is for Open Work Permit? Is it IMM1249????

PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

ichbinella

Star Member
Dec 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Veg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2012
Doc's Request.
29-09-2012
AOR Received.
15-06-2012 (AIP+OWP:06-12-2012)
Med's Request
29-09-2012
Med's Done....
06-11-2012 (appeared on ECAS:22-11-2012)
Interview........
NO INTERVIEW
Passport Req..
NO
VISA ISSUED...
June/july2013
LANDED..........
15aug2013,pr card received:15oct2013
1) I didnt check any of the box
2) For all the countries you've lived in, which is ur home country? I was asked for my home country's one after I submitted my application for 7 months.. i dunno whether this kind of "additional document submission" had cause me delays ... i regret not giving them when i sent my application.
3) If you hv a job now or you r certain that u can get a job in Canada, I guess u can do it inland. (Though for some countries, outland app. is much faster to get processed.)

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Thank you for your reply.
2) I am from Hong Kong, so I also need to get one from Hong Kong too. Isnt it also okay to submit it after CIC gives me the confirmation letter???

3) I am just on a visitor visa now, soI dont have a work permit, and I cannot work, just thought would be nice to get a work permit and start working instead of staying at home doing nothing, all day long for 2.5 years ....

ichbinella

Star Member
Dec 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Veg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2012
Doc's Request.
29-09-2012
AOR Received.
Med's Request
29-09-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
NO INTERVIEW
Passport Req..
NO
VISA ISSUED...
June/july2013
LANDED..........
Two more points to note on the choice of Inland/ outland I experienced:

1) you hv chance of Appeal if submit outland
2) you can go and leave the country whenever u want if you submit outland

I did mine Inland, but it turned out i cannot go home in no risk even though i am from a Visa-exempt country

ichbinella

Star Member
Dec 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Veg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2012
Doc's Request.
29-09-2012
AOR Received.
Med's Request
29-09-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
NO INTERVIEW
Passport Req..
NO
VISA ISSUED...
June/july2013
LANDED..........
yogini said:
Thank you for your reply.
2) I am from Hong Kong, so I also need to get one from Hong Kong too. Isnt it also okay to submit it after CIC gives me the confirmation letter???

3) I am just on a visitor visa now, soI dont have a work permit, and I cannot work, just thought would be nice to get a work permit and start working instead of staying at home doing nothing, all day long for 2.5 years ....

Good to meet a HK friend here! hahaha! Not many HK applicants r here!:)

But if you submit outland, you can work in HK while you wait, though u hv to suffer separation during the whole time

For Police Cert from HK.. it's quite easy to arrange one, I got reply from them within 2 weeks. (They sent me receipt by registered mail:), it;s not a big problem

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Haha I know you are from Hong Kong too, because I saw the Hong Kong SAR flag.
I do not want to leave Canada since my bf is working in Canada :) SO working is not an important issue for me, it is just I feel very bored staying at home, so IF an open work permit is possible while submitting the application, I would like to do it...

So, how did you get the police certificate from HK? Do i go to a police station in Canada first, get my finger prints, mail the finger prints to HK police department, then police department send the certificate to me? (or to CIC directly???)

I am scared of applying Inland because I would lose my rights of Appeal, but Outland, if they need interview, I would have to go back to HK.

What do you think????? Do you have MSN messenger? So we can talk more?

ichbinella

Star Member
Dec 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Veg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2012
Doc's Request.
29-09-2012
AOR Received.
Med's Request
29-09-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
NO INTERVIEW
Passport Req..
NO
VISA ISSUED...
June/july2013
LANDED..........
Yes, get ur fingerprints here at RCMP (i'm in Vancouver), and mail the copies to HK, then they will process it.

Of course, if you dont want to leave ur bf, just do it inland, just make sure you can support ur living (or ur bf can do so, that would be great..hahaha) during the waiting time~

And be ready not to leave Canada unless u really need to, last time when i got back to HK for my wedding banquet and returned , i was "questioned" by the custom officer, saying that i shouldnt do so becos i submitted my application inland.

I cannot use MSN right now as I'm not at home yet. Feel free to leave msg here first.

Aug 29, 2010
I applied Inland and I found it quite stressful not being able to leave Canada -- Inland takes much longer, and what if something happened to my family and I couldn't go to them? The only reason I chose Inland was because it wasn't financially feasible for me to not work. If you're bored, do some volunteer work or join a club. Flying back to HK for an interview isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, since you've said that you have a good financial situation.

Outland is a) faster, b) right of appeal (though probably unnecessary, it does help with the stress), and c) being able to leave the country.

Just my two cents.

ichbinella

Star Member
Dec 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Veg
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-2012
Doc's Request.
29-09-2012
AOR Received.
Med's Request
29-09-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
NO INTERVIEW
Passport Req..
NO
VISA ISSUED...
June/july2013
LANDED..........
abstractioness said:
I applied Inland and I found it quite stressful not being able to leave Canada -- Inland takes much longer, and what if something happened to my family and I couldn't go to them? The only reason I chose Inland was because it wasn't financially feasible for me to not work. If you're bored, do some volunteer work or join a club. Flying back to HK for an interview isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, since you've said that you have a good financial situation.

Outland is a) faster, b) right of appeal (though probably unnecessary, it does help with the stress), and c) being able to leave the country.

Just my two cents.
Are you also from HK too? :) anyway, i do believe that if you hv good reason to leave the country, it's still ok. I think the time I waited for my work permit is more stressful as my husband doesnt earn much and I felt like being his burden though he never felt that.

But I just try to balance things out, by doing sth i always love to do when i was busy in the old days..~

I think it's better to discuss with ur partner (my husband hopes i can stay with him as he thinks separation of such a long time wont be good to us, though we hv been in a long distance relationship for a few years before we got married)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you apply inland, you will need to wait until stage 1 (sponsor) approval BEFORE you can get your work permit. Right now this is taking at least 6 months. Only after this could you get your work permit. Then it would be another 8 months or so after this until the stage 2 (applicant) is done and you can get your full PR card.

If you apply outland, the first stage would be done in less than 1 month and then your application sent to Hong Kong for processing. The "average" time for stage 2 on the CIC website says Hong Kong is taking 16 months for processing... however i have read several posters experiences through Hong Kong on this website recently saying they got COPR within 4-6 months total after submitting their application. Also myself through Seoul the entire PR process was done in 4 months even though the average for Seoul alone says 11 months. After this time you can have full PR with SIN card for working.

So it's kind of a gamble. If you think your application is very simple and straightforward and no red flags will be raised, then you can be optimistic and take the chance that you will be one of those to have very quick processing times outland. However if you foresee some issues being raised and your application being asked lots of questions on, you may get the actual average processing times in which case inland would be the quicker choice for working. Unfortunately there is no guaranteed answer of which is better... as often is comes down to luck and what the visa officer assigned to your application will think.

Also as others have mentioned, with inland applications it is more difficult to leave the country for any reason while your application is in process.

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Hello,

Thank you everyone for your replies.
I am still trying to gather all the document, I am still missing a form IMM1017 (Medical Report), I have tried to find it on CIC web site, but i can't find it............. Do I have to do the medical exam without a form? Or Does CIC mail it to me later? Do I have to include the medical exam with my Sponsorship package?

I think I am going to apply Outland, just so I will be able to appeal if things go wrong. We do have very strong evidence, but I just want to be safe, plus, the processing time might be shorter than applying Inland. Another question, the application kit (p.s. forms) is the same whether i apply Inland or Outland, right? Sorry for asking so many questions, English is not my native language and I have a hard time sometimes to understand the English instruction even I keep reading and re-reading again.... :(

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
yogini said:
Another question, the application kit (p.s. forms) is the same whether i apply Inland or Outland, right?
There are some different forms depending if you do inland or outland. Here is the link to download all the forms necessary for outland application: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Make sure to download the Hong Kong specific one: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3903e.pdf

I am still trying to gather all the document, I am still missing a form IMM1017 (Medical Report), I have tried to find it on CIC web site, but i can't find it............. Do I have to do the medical exam without a form? Or Does CIC mail it to me later? Do I have to include the medical exam with my Sponsorship package?
There seems to be a brand new policy here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob471.asp
The new immigration medical examination forms and the IMEIs will take effect on November 1, 2012.

With the release of the new GCMS 4.0, it should be noted that all previous versions of the IMM 1017 form as well as the Appendix C will no longer to be used. With this release, there will be two newly-revised IMM 1017 forms:

IMM 1017: Medical Report: Client Biodata and Summary (not available on our website as it will be GCMS-generated along with medical instructions)

So it sounds to me like the doctor will take care of all forms, and no IMM1017 is needed to download and fill out anymore. Others will need to advise here on new procedure, or its probably a good idea to check with the doctor first what is required (i assume at least passport photos for medical are still needed).

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Rob_TO said:
So it sounds to me like the doctor will take care of all forms, and no IMM1017 is needed to download and fill out anymore. Others will need to advise here on new procedure, or its probably a good idea to check with the doctor first what is required (i assume at least passport photos for medical are still needed).
indeed - call the doctor and explain that you are doing the OUTLAND procedure ( be specific as the forms are different), and ask what they need. You don't need to take any form, but once you leave the office you will be given a form from the doctor proving that you have done the medicals, and that's what you include in your application.
Good luck,
Sweden

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Sweden said:
indeed - call the doctor and explain that you are doing the OUTLAND procedure ( be specific as the forms are different), and ask what they need. You don't need to take any form, but once you leave the office you will be given a form from the doctor proving that you have done the medicals, and that's what you include in your application.
well, i am very confused now, because I found this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/appendix-02.asp
and it is a form for Outland application, so i guess there is a form????

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
the form is from here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/appendix-02.asp

anyone knows??