+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am in a weird situation

mk1990

Aug 8, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen, and married a girl in Pak in 2014. I sponsored her to Canada but we broke up and she never came to here. The sponsorship papers were withdrawn as well. I sent her a written divorce letter in 2015. Now I am planning to marry again and was told that I have to get a Divorce certificate from Pakistan or else my sponsorship will not move forward. I was told that there are no longer any Union Councils. My ex wife isn't in Pakistan either and she will not go to a court to ask for Khula.
How can I get a Divorce certificate from Pakistan that is accepted by the Canadian Immigration? My immigration lawyer in Canada told me that a divorce certificate is extremely important for my sponsorship.
Your help will be really appreciated. You can also private message me. Thanks everyone

TMHK

Aug 8, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen, and married a girl in Pak in 2014. I sponsored her to Canada but we broke up and she never came to here. The sponsorship papers were withdrawn as well. I sent her a written divorce letter in 2015. Now I am planning to marry again and was told that I have to get a Divorce certificate from Pakistan or else my sponsorship will not move forward. I was told that there are no longer any Union Councils. My ex wife isn't in Pakistan either and she will not go to a court to ask for Khula.
How can I get a Divorce certificate from Pakistan that is accepted by the Canadian Immigration? My immigration lawyer in Canada told me that a divorce certificate is extremely important for my sponsorship.
Your help will be really appreciated. You can also private message me. Thanks everyone
You have to register your divorce with nadra in pakistan and also provide divorce certificate from family court of pakistan.
the date should be same as when you had given divorce (back dated) not the current date as of present day...
As you said.. you had written a letter of divorce so its better to take a copy of that letter and get it attested from a lawyer in pakistan and notary public
If it was not in english language then you have to make true translation of it and get it attested too
I hope this helps
Ask your lawyer for the best suggestion.

mk1990

Aug 8, 2020
You have to register your divorce with nadra in pakistan and also provide divorce certificate from family court of pakistan.
the date should be same as when you had given divorce (back dated) not the current date as of present day...
As you said.. you had written a letter of divorce so its better to take a copy of that letter and get it attested from a lawyer in pakistan and notary public
If it was not in english language then you have to make true translation of it and get it attested too
I hope this helps
Ask your lawyer for the best suggestion.
Thank you for your reply. But the problem is I cannot go to a family court in Pakistan. Men cannot go to a court for divorce. Only women can go to a court for Khula. Men can divorce verbally and it is accepted. However, in my situation, I need the divorce certificate to proceed with my spousal sponsorship

TMHK

Aug 8, 2020
Thank you for your reply. But the problem is I cannot go to a family court in Pakistan. Men cannot go to a court for divorce. Only women can go to a court for Khula. Men can divorce verbally and it is accepted. However, in my situation, I need the divorce certificate to proceed with my spousal sponsorship
Then only way to prove your divorce is to get nadra Divorce certificate.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
If you were in Canada when you got divorced, you will need a Canadian divorce certificate. You can apply to the family court in your province and have your former wife served with the petition in whatever country she lives in. Once the legal divorce is finalised you can remarry and sponsor your new wife.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you were in Canada when you got divorced, you will need a Canadian divorce certificate. You can apply to the family court in your province and have your former wife served with the petition in whatever country she lives in. Once the legal divorce is finalised you can remarry and sponsor your new wife.
The divorce can be from anywhere.

mk1990

Aug 8, 2020
My status in Canada is single because I was never registered as married here. I was married in Pak and only sponsored her to come to canada, however, the papers were withdrawn as we called it off.

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
Below is a copy+ paste from this link:-https://www.ylaw.ca/blog/indian-family-lawyers-surrey-vancouver-explain-indian-divorce/#:~:text=Yes, in Canada as long,That is not the case.
But country is India ;-

Can I Get a Canadian Divorce if I was Married in India? International Indian Divorce Lawyer Explains

Yes, in Canada as long as one of the spouses primarily resides in a Canadian province for more than 1 year prior to applying for divorce, that couple is eligible to get a Canadian Divorce.

Many Indian couples think because they got married in India, they will need to apply for a divorce in India. That is not the case. You can get married in any country on earth, and can get divorced in Canada as long as you live here for more than 1 year prior to applying for divorce.

Do I have to Get Both a Canadian Divorce and an Indian Divorce? International Family Lawyer Explains

No, one divorce is enough. India generally acknowledges a Canadian divorce as a valid divorce. Likewise, Canada generally recognizes an Indian divorce as a valid divorce. This means you do not have to get divorced twice in order for your divorce to be valid in both Canada and India.

TMHK

Aug 8, 2020
This
Below is a copy+ paste from this link:-https://www.ylaw.ca/blog/indian-family-lawyers-surrey-vancouver-explain-indian-divorce/#:~:text=Yes, in Canada as long,That is not the case.
But country is India ;-

Can I Get a Canadian Divorce if I was Married in India? International Indian Divorce Lawyer Explains

Yes, in Canada as long as one of the spouses primarily resides in a Canadian province for more than 1 year prior to applying for divorce, that couple is eligible to get a Canadian Divorce.

Many Indian couples think because they got married in India, they will need to apply for a divorce in India. That is not the case. You can get married in any country on earth, and can get divorced in Canada as long as you live here for more than 1 year prior to applying for divorce.

Do I have to Get Both a Canadian Divorce and an Indian Divorce? International Family Lawyer Explains

No, one divorce is enough. India generally acknowledges a Canadian divorce as a valid divorce. Likewise, Canada generally recognizes an Indian divorce as a valid divorce. This means you do not have to get divorced twice in order for your divorce to be valid in both Canada and India.
This is very helpful for many people but for pakistanis a little different, they have to show from their country where the previous marriage was registered thats the reason the lawyer has said to provide a certificate.
but asking the lawyer about a canadian divorce is great

Reactions: singleman

lucky1990

Nov 8, 2018
But country is India ;-

V GOOD information as many members can take advantages of not going thousands of miles just to go divorce

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My status in Canada is single because I was never registered as married here. I was married in Pak and only sponsored her to come to canada, however, the papers were withdrawn as we called it off.
You were not "single" in Canada despite never registering the marriage in Canada. You were still considered Married in Canada while marriage was done in Pakistan and still "Married" until you get your official divorce papers. Once you get your divorce papers, you are still not "single" but divorced.

hamid_bashir

Star Member
Aug 28, 2014
You were not "single" in Canada despite never registering the marriage in Canada. You were still considered Married in Canada while marriage was done in Pakistan and still "Married" until you get your official divorce papers. Once you get your divorce papers, you are still not "single" but divorced.
Easiest way is getting divorce from Canadian Court. Hard way, send a notice of Talaq to union Council, make any relative your representative, Union Council will issue 3 notices to you and your wife every month. After that they will issue divorce certificate.

singleman

VIP Member
Jul 28, 2018
App. Filed.......
00-05-2020
File Transfer...
00-00-2021
Easiest way is getting divorce from Canadian Court. Hard way, send a notice of Talaq to union Council, make any relative your representative, Union Council will issue 3 notices to you and your wife every month. After that they will issue divorce certificate.
This is what i was trying to say but was for diff country