+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am beginning to feel like a hostage

K1203

Dec 10, 2009
Hello, I am a new member here and I am sorry to start off by complaining but felt this was a place where I sure some people will understand how I am feeling.

I first came to Canada in April 2007, from England, I am English. I married my Canadian husband in December 2007. My father was very ill during that year and unfortunately passed away in October 2007, so I spent much of that year travelling back and forth and held off making an application for Residence until early 2008.

In February 2008 we sought advice from an immigration lawyer, and she suggested it best to make an inland spousal application - I now feel this was probably not the best advice she could have given, however we have stuck with it.

The application was made in March 2008 and processing began in April 2008, medicals done, background checks done, sponsorship approved etc. and Approval in Principal finally granted in October 2008. I received my Work Permit in January 2009 and have been working since April. All was well and good except it is now over a year since I received AIP and I still have heard nothing about my landing interview. I have done nothing wrong, my application was straight forward. My lawyer has on numerous occasions contacted CIC and still nothing seems to be moving. They keep asking for updated information, such as how I am supporting myself, etc. etc. I don't understand why it is taking so long.

In January (next month) I will have to spend money on a second temporary work permit and if it carries on no doubt I will need to have medicals and police checks done again. I really loved Canada I so wanted to live here but I am now beginning to hate the government and am really feeling like a hostage. My mother is elderly, I haven't seen her in 2 years (she came over here then). She will not take the flight again it was really too much for her the last time, I feel so much guilt at not being able to go and see her, along with other members of my family and a minor point we haven't been able to go on honeymoon.

Has anyone from the UK else experienced such a long waiting time for no apparent reason?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
First of all I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. It's what we all dread... :(

That being said, this is the reason why the people here would recommend the vast majority of cases be processed outside of Canada - if you had done this you most likely would have had residency in May 2008 and you would have been allowed to travel during the process.

What you could do would be to ask your member of parliament to pull some strings and try to make things work faster.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
I am very surprised by this lawyer's response considering London has a very fast processing time. I am very sorry to hear about this K1203. I agree with Swede's recommendation.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

K1203 said:
Hello, I am a new member here and I am sorry to start off by complaining but felt this was a place where I sure some people will understand how I am feeling.

I first came to Canada in April 2007, from England, I am English. I married my Canadian husband in December 2007. My father was very ill during that year and unfortunately passed away in October 2007, so I spent much of that year travelling back and forth and held off making an application for Residence until early 2008.

In February 2008 we sought advice from an immigration lawyer, and she suggested it best to make an inland spousal application - I now feel this was probably not the best advice she could have given, however we have stuck with it.

The application was made in March 2008 and processing began in April 2008, medicals done, background checks done, sponsorship approved etc. and Approval in Principal finally granted in October 2008. I received my Work Permit in January 2009 and have been working since April. All was well and good except it is now over a year since I received AIP and I still have heard nothing about my landing interview. I have done nothing wrong, my application was straight forward. My lawyer has on numerous occasions contacted CIC and still nothing seems to be moving. They keep asking for updated information, such as how I am supporting myself, etc. etc. I don't understand why it is taking so long.

In January (next month) I will have to spend money on a second temporary work permit and if it carries on no doubt I will need to have medicals and police checks done again. I really loved Canada I so wanted to live here but I am now beginning to hate the government and am really feeling like a hostage. My mother is elderly, I haven't seen her in 2 years (she came over here then). She will not take the flight again it was really too much for her the last time, I feel so much guilt at not being able to go and see her, along with other members of my family and a minor point we haven't been able to go on honeymoon.

Has anyone from the UK else experienced such a long waiting time for no apparent reason?
I can think of one reason, you live in the Toronto area and your application is being processed at either Etobicoke or Mississauga CIC The time there is the longest in Canada for finalizing PR.

PMM

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
Toby I think the post you were replying to got deleted or something?

To the OP I am so sorry that this has happened, it is really really crappy to feel like you aren't free to travel like you wish and get on with your life! I'm thinking of you and hoping for a decision soon.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Yes, SSarah: it did get deleted. Makes my rebuttal senseless. How can I delete mine?

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
On the top right corner of that post it says "Remove".

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Of course! How easy to remove it -- and ... deleted. Thanks.

bobbie

Dec 3, 2009
it happened to me as well, we apllied inland 15 years ago, I stayed in Vancouver for 2 years waitng for my PR but to no avail until I got depressed and frustrated i decided to come home to my native land and stayed here for 15 years. I have 2 canadian citizen children and my husband decided to go back to Canada for our children's sake. Now we are applying outland and I am waiting for my visa. I submitted my Passport last Oct 28. We submiitted the whole application together with my medical result last August 27, The timeline is faster if you really apply outland.
Good luck to all of us!!! The waiting time is really frustrating!!! Cannot wait to see my son ang hubby again!

K1203

Dec 10, 2009
Thanks for all your responses and advice ... I know I should have done an inland application and regret that .... next week we are going to try the MP's office.

It doesn't make the situation any better but good to know I am not alone.

Good luck to all of you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
K1203 said:
Thanks for all your responses and advice ... I know I should have done an inland application and regret that .... next week we are going to try the MP's office.
I thought you did do an inland application? Outland is never this slow.

K1203

Dec 10, 2009
Leon said:
I thought you did do an inland application? Outland is never this slow.
Sorry typo - yes I have done an inland application - I meant to type I should have done outland.