+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a PR holder, soft landing done but fiance is not PR

Bafflingtulip

Jul 3, 2017
Hi everyone

By god's grace I got my PR and did my soft landing this year in May. As my boyfriend and I are of different religions/countries ( Indo/Pak, Muslim/Hindu/Christian lol) , at the time I was doing my PR, we couldn't think of getting engaged/married as our parents hadn't even met. I decided I wanted to ensure that there was some security and applied for my PR which was successful.

Now I plan to move to Canada latest by March 2021. We are still convincing our parents to give the final nod (things are looking hopeful) and hope to get married in second quarter of next year in a small ceremony. In the meanwhile, he is considering the following options:

1. He begins applying for PR now in which case does he state we are engaged not married, then updates it as he goes. His score is 438. It would be great if you could let me know if provincial nominations are possible? I know ITA scores currently are quite high.
2. We get married next year and I will land the year after to do spousal sponsorship, this way we live together for a few months atleast, get some more evidence. As such we have been in a relationship since university and I have ample witnesses etc. to support that (7 years plus). How long does outland sponsorship take? Ugh the thought of being seperated for years, induces some anxiety in me but such is life.

Also he has had some really bad luck in visa applications for Canada student, UK visit, Schengen and US, all refused due to simply 'lack of ties' to UAE. He has lived in UK as a student for 3+ years though. Now we are based in Dubai where he is working and living as a resident for the past six years. Hope this wouldn't affect the application much.

Having read all this, which option is better PR or spousal in your opinion?

Would appreciate your support!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi everyone

By god's grace I got my PR and did my soft landing this year in May. As my boyfriend and I are of different religions/countries ( Indo/Pak, Muslim/Hindu/Christian lol) , at the time I was doing my PR, we couldn't think of getting engaged/married as our parents hadn't even met. I decided I wanted to ensure that there was some security and applied for my PR which was successful.

Now I plan to move to Canada latest by March 2021. We are still convincing our parents to give the final nod (things are looking hopeful) and hope to get married in second quarter of next year in a small ceremony. In the meanwhile, he is considering the following options:

1. He begins applying for PR now in which case does he state we are engaged not married, then updates it as he goes. His score is 438. It would be great if you could let me know if provincial nominations are possible? I know ITA scores currently are quite high.
2. We get married next year and I will land the year after to do spousal sponsorship, this way we live together for a few months atleast, get some more evidence. As such we have been in a relationship since university and I have ample witnesses etc. to support that (7 years plus). How long does outland sponsorship take? Ugh the thought of being seperated for years, induces some anxiety in me but such is life.

Also he has had some really bad luck in visa applications for Canada student, UK visit, Schengen and US, all refused due to simply 'lack of ties' to UAE. He has lived in UK as a student for 3+ years though. Now we are based in Dubai where he is working and living as a resident for the past six years. Hope this wouldn't affect the application much.

Having read all this, which option is better PR or spousal in your opinion?

Would appreciate your support!
Effective June 28, 2002, IRCC does not recognize "engagement" as a status. As far as they are concerned, you are still "dating" or "single".

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/legality.html
"There is no provision in IRPA for fiancé(e)s or intended common-law partners."

Last edited: