+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I am a Canadian citizen now but I was stopped by immigration at the airport because I previously had a refugee status

harith86

Dec 5, 2009
Has anyone figured out whom to contact/call to remove the flag? IRCC agents don't even know what i am talking about when describing this to them

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Has anyone figured out whom to contact/call to remove the flag? IRCC agents don't even know what i am talking about when describing this to them
See links posted above by @hemeda2 . . . with the caveat that what the flags are, and who flagged the records, and why, can matter.

Otherwise, if the referrals to Secondary are only about a lingering client-is-a-refugee flag, most of the anecdotal reporting indicates discussing the issue with the examining Secondary officer, when referred to Secondary, will typically lead to these referrals ceasing, sometimes sooner, but sometimes taking longer and only after more such exchanges (always more helpful to be polite to the officers in these interactions) . . . noting that for many these referrals cease, eventually, even without the former refugee pushing the issue.

But, again, certain individuals might be the subject of other types of flags. Moreover, when former refugees travel to certain parts of the world, and particularly to one's home country, when they return to Canada there are often reasons for a referral to Secondary even if just for the purpose of a brief, visual verification of identity.

For those who live close to a U.S. border crossing, perhaps some short shopping trips across the border and back could help break the cycle of repeated Secondary referrals. CBSA can be slow to come around, but they're busy and will find their way to doing what makes things easier for them.

Lolylopy

Jan 9, 2024
Ok here i am because had a interview with a IRCC officer today as applied for citizenship.

They verified
I went to Mexico for a vacation and when I returned yesterday to Canada, I got the "X" on my declaration paper from the automated machine to go to immigration.

When I got to the immigration office, the officer started to ask me questions like where were you, how many days, etc

I asked the officer why I am going through this even though I am a Canadian citizen now. He said because my file is associated with a refugee status previously and that I have to contact Immigration.

Has anyone gone through this? I was a refugee before but I thought it doesn't matter once you are a Canadian citizen.

I am now disappointed!
ok here I am as i had a interview with a IRCC agent for citizenship application.

He verified identity and told me as i was a refugee there is a flag on my file/name and need to be removed. For that they need to contact another department which i believe its CBSA border.
He specifically told me this is because not stop you in future when travel and back to canada.

I think this is not something of being 2-3rd class citizen in here.
We have to understand there is differences between a person who came in this Country by visa and cleared all background than the one came here with no notice or…(Me :) )
about the flag : i personally believe this could be based on many reasons as a protected person need to follow some special rules (exemple not enter into country where he is in danger or …

After living here in canada for about 10 years i really feel this country is my home and ever been.
( i been in Europe but never ever had such a feeling )
of course stopping me when back home while European enter with no issue is gonna be really difficult and annoying!! (i would love to hear Welcome HOME rather than Sir, other line YOU WAS A REFUGEE. LOL)
In other hand, I feel like this is why here is secure and safe to live. So not a big deal CBSA spend couple min more to make sure about all.
==
I always hate when someone call me a refugee or even know I was a refugee! (Had a Canadian friend once told me: you not anymore refugee, you been accepted and you are protected person. sometimes thinking about what would be a better word to use and Protected person comes cross my mind!
anyway just wrote above comments so might be helpful for…

canada449

Star Member
Jun 30, 2023
Ok here i am because had a interview with a IRCC officer today as applied for citizenship.

They verified

ok here I am as i had a interview with a IRCC agent for citizenship application.

He verified identity and told me as i was a refugee there is a flag on my file/name and need to be removed. For that they need to contact another department which i believe its CBSA border.
He specifically told me this is because not stop you in future when travel and back to canada.

I think this is not something of being 2-3rd class citizen in here.
We have to understand there is differences between a person who came in this Country by visa and cleared all background than the one came here with no notice or…(Me :) )
about the flag : i personally believe this could be based on many reasons as a protected person need to follow some special rules (exemple not enter into country where he is in danger or …

After living here in canada for about 10 years i really feel this country is my home and ever been.
( i been in Europe but never ever had such a feeling )
of course stopping me when back home while European enter with no issue is gonna be really difficult and annoying!! (i would love to hear Welcome HOME rather than Sir, other line YOU WAS A REFUGEE. LOL)
In other hand, I feel like this is why here is secure and safe to live. So not a big deal CBSA spend couple min more to make sure about all.
==
I always hate when someone call me a refugee or even know I was a refugee! (Had a Canadian friend once told me: you not anymore refugee, you been accepted and you are protected person. sometimes thinking about what would be a better word to use and Protected person comes cross my mind!
anyway just wrote above comments so might be helpful for…
Can we request that flag to be removed during interview or ceremony of our citizenship process? Can they do that?