+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How will I be assessed ?

FrenchAsian

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
Hello everybody,

This is a great and informative forum. Thanks to all the seniors here for the great advice.

I have read through many of the posts and threads (I believed in self-help before asking) but have not found any specific help on a matter in my mind :-

I applied in December '07. Till now, have not heard from the CHC. The new rule List-38 appeared, I believed, in Feb '08,... so I would be assessed according to the old ways, right ? That's what I read in the CIC website.

My earlier profession in the last 10 years is listed among the List-38, but unfortunately, after I changed job, the latter career is not among the List-38. The earlier profession took up 3 years.

My question is : how would I be assessed in my profession ? Based on the earlier career or the latter one ?

Secondly, in the earlier career, I was under employment, whereas in the latter one, I run my own company.

So, which documents should I focus on getting my hands on - the earlier one (under employment, and which falls under List-38) or the latter one (most recent) but which does not fall under the list ?

Would appreciate some kind suggestions here. Thanks in advance.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
FrenchAsian said:
Hello everybody,

This is a great and informative forum. Thanks to all the seniors here for the great advice.

I have read through many of the posts and threads (I believed in self-help before asking) but have not found any specific help on a matter in my mind :-

I applied in December '07. Till now, have not heard from the CHC. The new rule List-38 appeared, I believed, in Feb '08,... so I would be assessed according to the old ways, right ? That's what I read in the CIC website. that's right...

My earlier profession in the last 10 years is listed among the List-38, but unfortunately, after I changed job, the latter career is not among the List-38. The earlier profession took up 3 years. doesn't matter. you will be assessed based on old system. so, there will be no consideration of the ministerial instructions.

My question is : how would I be assessed in my profession ? Based on the earlier career or the latter one ? both... at skill type 0 ot levels A or B, you'll be able to claim 21 points

Secondly, in the earlier career, I was under employment, whereas in the latter one, I run my own company.

So, which documents should I focus on getting my hands on - the earlier one (under employment, and which falls under List-38) or the latter one (most recent) but which does not fall under the list ? ideally, all... the "list" does not apply to you

Would appreciate some kind suggestions here. Thanks in advance.

FrenchAsian

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
Dear Aanbaan, many thanks for your detailed reply,... appreciated it,...

I am learning French at the moment : I hoped to earn more points and at the same time, with a knowledge of French, I think I would be able to secure a better job later when I go over (that is if I qualify),....

1) On the points side :-

It is not easy for me to take the TEF Exam, is it possible for me to take the DELF/DEPH Exam instead, but then how do we map over the point system from the DELF/DEPH over to the TEF ? Will the IO map over for me ?

2) On the jobs side :-

If I have a strong command of English, and an acceptable command of French, will I be able to land a good job ?

Can I apply to work in the Government of in the Police Force when/if I go over later ?

Hoping again for some advice from the gurus here,.... thanks again.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
FrenchAsian said:
Dear Aanbaan, many thanks for your detailed reply,... appreciated it,...

I am learning French at the moment : I hoped to earn more points and at the same time, with a knowledge of French, I think I would be able to secure a better job later when I go over (that is if I qualify),....

1) On the points side :-

It is not easy for me to take the TEF Exam, is it possible for me to take the DELF/DEPH Exam instead, but then how do we map over the point system from the DELF/DEPH over to the TEF ? Will the IO map over for me ? no idea on the french evaluation system... I myself know french, but did not claim it to save myself from any French test :)

2) On the jobs side :-

If I have a strong command of English, and an acceptable command of French, will I be able to land a good job ?subjective

Can I apply to work in the Government of in the Police Force when/if I go over later ? yes, except certain high security govt offices

Hoping again for some advice from the gurus here,.... thanks again.

FrenchAsian

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
Dear Aanbaan, thank you once again,.....

I wonder if there is anyone else in this form who may be able to advise on the Delf/Dalf Exam, and how we could map over the points over to the TEF Exam,.... Truly hoping someone would know.

It's great to hear that I can work in the Government, I gathered they accepted the PRs too huh ? What are the cons of working in the Govenment ? Anybody knows ?

I think I know the pros, they're kinda same everywhere throughtout the world,.... but the cons ?

Thank you to all,...

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
salary is a little lower in govt offices... but, due to scarcity of ppl one tends to do a lot of overtime and eventually earn more in a govt job in Canada... but, for that he works 10 instead of 8 hours a day

others will probably throw more light

FrenchAsian

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
Aanbaan,... Thank you once again.

I have looked through this forum, but I can't find a specific info that I need. In my latter career (ie in the last few years), I have my own retail establishment. The lead statement is :-

Retail Trade managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that sell merchandise or services on a retail basis. Retails trade managers are employed by retail sales establishments or they may own and operate their own store.

I certainly do all the planning, organizing of work plus directing and staff-control. I evaluate the profitability of my business and certainly know which area makes money and which does not. But how do I prove all these to the IO ?

Do I have to show him things like, well, eg - my customers' documents (some of which may be confidential), my staff's Job Description (JD) and biography, inventory, etc ?

I am the owner of this establishment.

Thanks again in advance,......

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
FrenchAsian said:
Aanbaan,... Thank you once again.

I have looked through this forum, but I can't find a specific info that I need. In my latter career (ie in the last few years), I have my own retail establishment. The lead statement is :-

Retail Trade managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that sell merchandise or services on a retail basis. Retails trade managers are employed by retail sales establishments or they may own and operate their own store.

I certainly do all the planning, organizing of work plus directing and staff-control. I evaluate the profitability of my business and certainly know which area makes money and which does not. But how do I prove all these to the IO ?

Do I have to show him things like, well, eg - my customers' documents (some of which may be confidential), my staff's Job Description (JD) and biography, inventory, etc ?

I am the owner of this establishment.

Thanks again in advance,......

If you have experience as a self-employed person, provide copies of:
• business/company registration documents,
• proof of business conducted with clients (invoices, bills, client references)
• balance sheets,
• income tax returns, and/or
• proof of your licence to practice (if you are a private practitioner)

FrenchAsian

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
Thank you, Aanbaan,... I'm afraid I am still a littlebit blurr,... Based on your good reply, yes, I certainly do have ALL of those documents, but so does everybody who does business, right ?

The lead statement says : plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of establishments that sell merchandise or services on a retail basis.

How are those documents you mentioned be able to prove that I organize, direct and etc, etc my business and operations ? The documents you mentioned are merely standard bsiness documents applied from the authorities, or are provided by my customers in the everyday activities or are prepared by my accountants.

They don't talk about,.. well,... myself in particular, and what I do personally.

Sorry, but am I asking the right questions ? Do hoped for some advice again, Sir,.... and thank you once again.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
my personal experience is that you provide them whatever you can.

You can get a couple of reference letters from your customers... and provide documentary proof that they are your customers indeed.

i picked that list from CHC ND's document checklist. So, I would asume that's approximately what they must be looking for in case of self-employed ppl. giving anything additional just makes the case stronger ...

send a PM to BobbyB. He's in a similar boat as you, so may be able to give a more accurate suggestion...

FrenchAsian

Star Member
Aug 25, 2009
Aanbaan, many thanks again for your suggestion. Okay, I have just sent him a note,... hopefully I can get some replies soon. Thanks again.