+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to update family status if you hold PR but living out of Canada

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Hi Experts

1- Kindly advise me as I am confused with updating my marital status. I have PR Card but I am living out of Canada and will move after some time. Currently, I want to update my family status as I got married a few months back. I want to know, how and where to update family status so that I do not face any problem while sponsoring my wife when in Canada?

2- Further, I assume spouse cannot be sponsored by a PR if he resides out of Canada, is it right?

Thank you
BR
Amir

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Experts

1- Kindly advise me as I am confused with updating my marital status. I have PR Card but I am living out of Canada and will move after some time. Currently, I want to update my family status as I got married a few months back. I want to know, how and where to update family status so that I do not face any problem while sponsoring my wife when in Canada?

2- Further, I assume spouse cannot be sponsored by a PR if he resides out of Canada, is it right?

Thank you
BR
Amir

1. IRCC isn't interested in your updated family status until you return to Canada to sponsor your family to Canada.
2. Yes, Only Canadian citizens can sponsor their spouse while residing outside Canada.