+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to save PGP PR for my parents?

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
Due to covid and domestic issues (my divorce), my parents could only come for 9 months for their 5 yr period. Their PR card expires in Apr 2024
They do plan to enter before Apr 2024 but i need to know if they will be eligible for OHIP with the PR card expired?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Due to covid and domestic issues (my divorce), my parents could only come for 9 months for their 5 yr period. Their PR card expires in Apr 2024
They do plan to enter before Apr 2024 but i need to know if they will be eligible for OHIP with the PR card expired?
They should be returning asap for the best chance of retaining their PR status. Your divorce would not be a reason for them not to meet RO and Covid would only account for a certain period of time. They must meet 730 days in the 5 years from their landing date which may as early as January/February 2019. Did they inform CRA that they have been out of Canada since 2019? They were also required to notify OHIP. They will have to reapply for OHIP when they return because they have not been meeting the residency requirement to qualify for OHIP. If they have a valid PR card and are planning on meeting the residency requirement to qualify for OHIP they should be able to get a new OHIP card. If they are not reported they will have to remain in Canada for almost 2 years straight

yalgar

Oct 13, 2013
Thanks.. I have been told that its possible to enter with expired PR card from US border. Is that right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks.. I have been told that its possible to enter with expired PR card from US border. Is that right?
Yes they can if they have a US visa and were granted entry to the US when they landed. The chances of being reported will increase dramatically.