+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to remove restrictions on OWP?

cesedebe

Jun 29, 2016
Hello,

I'm applying for permanent residence Inland. I just received an open work permit but it has this pesky condition: "not authorized to work in health service field occupations".
I am only qualified to work in the health service field, so this work permit is of no use to me!! :-\

I need step by step instructions on how to remove this condition. I know I'll have to do the upfront medical (which I didn't do earlier). Any idea how long will it take to remove this condition once the application is submitted? Why I have to pay AGAIN to change the conditions on the work permit? Do I apply to remove this condition online (via myCIC) or by mail? Can the medical be used for both the PR application and to remove these conditions?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: itsats

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
i don't think you can get this restriction removed. technically, you are not a resident of canada and have not been vetted to work in that sector. it is considered a vunerable sector which requires not only additional background checks, but also most healthcare jobs require specific certification. i can't see how you would be able to get the restriction removed. this OWP is not the same as others. are you reading somewhere that it's possible to get the restriction removed? if so, i'd imagine those rules do not apply for this spousal owp.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
cesedebe said:
I just received an open work permit but it has this pesky condition: "not authorized to work in health service field occupations".

I need step by step instructions on how to remove this condition.

Any idea how long will it take to remove this condition once the application is submitted?

Why I have to pay AGAIN to change the conditions on the work permit?

Do I apply to remove this condition online (via myCIC) or by mail?

Can the medical be used for both the PR application and to remove these conditions?
Every work permit done without a medical has that condition.

Do the medical. Apply to change the conditions of your work permit.

It takes about a month.

You have to pay again because they have to issue you a new work permit.

Applying online is faster.

Yes, the medical is the same regardless. However, depending on how long your inland PR app takes, CIC may request a new medical later on.

CDNPR2014 said:
i don't think you can get this restriction removed. technically, you are not a resident of canada and have not been vetted to work in that sector. it is considered a vunerable sector which requires not only additional background checks, but also most healthcare jobs require specific certification. i can't see how you would be able to get the restriction removed. this OWP is not the same as others. are you reading somewhere that it's possible to get the restriction removed? if so, i'd imagine those rules do not apply for this spousal owp.
The restriction is removed by undergoing a medical. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=844&top=4

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
canuck_in_uk said:
The restriction is removed by undergoing a medical. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=844&top=4
oh interesting. and this applies to the spousal owp as well? i thought this OWP isn't considered "standard". so presumably, if the applicant did the medical upfront, this restriction would not be on the OWP?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
CDNPR2014 said:
oh interesting. and this applies to the spousal owp as well? i thought this OWP isn't considered "standard". so presumably, if the applicant did the medical upfront, this restriction would not be on the OWP?
The reason for issuing it is different but it's the same as any other work permit.

johnybegood

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Na
Category........
Visa Office......
Ndvo
NOC Code......
Na
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 18,2016
Doc's Request.
aor 1 may 11
Nomination.....
Sponsor approval 03/jun/16
AOR Received.
in process on 09 june 2016
IELTS Request
sent along with apln
File Transfer...
started processing june 13
Med's Request
Up front done in January 2016
Med's Done....
Background check 26 sept 2016
Interview........
Dm 29 sept 2016
Passport Req..
1st oct 2016
VISA ISSUED...
3 oct 2016
LANDED..........
16 oct 2016
cesedebe said:
Hello,

I'm applying for permanent residence Inland. I just received an open work permit but it has this pesky condition: "not authorized to work in health service field occupations".
I am only qualified to work in the health service field, so this work permit is of no use to me!! :-\

I need step by step instructions on how to remove this condition. I know I'll have to do the upfront medical (which I didn't do earlier). Any idea how long will it take to remove this condition once the application is submitted? Why I have to pay AGAIN to change the conditions on the work permit? Do I apply to remove this condition online (via myCIC) or by mail? Can the medical be used for both the PR application and to remove these conditions?

Thanks in advance.
Send a cse to Ottawa describing ur situation they will reissue one without restrictions because my friend had the same situation

cesedebe

Jun 29, 2016
johnybegood said:
Send a cse to Ottawa describing ur situation they will reissue one without restrictions because my friend had the same situation
Your friend didn't have to pay $255 for another work permit application?

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
Your friend didn't have to pay $255 for another work permit application?
hi what's the update with your owp? did you have to pay again? i have the same situation right now.

itsats

Dec 16, 2014
Visa Office......
MISS
App. Filed.......
Feb10 2017
Doc's Request.
Sched A Mar20 2017
AOR Received.
Mar14 2017
Med's Done....
May10 2017
Did you fix your situation? I have the same right now
yes i did. i applied online to change the conditions of my open work permit and paid another 255. i also passed an upfront medical exam together with my application.

vunamese

Sep 7, 2017
I am in the same situation as well. It is very frustrating to hear that this keeps happening to people since the stipulations are not very clearly or explicitly stated on the CIC website. I feel like i've scoured that website for information and still missed it. After waiting 14 weeks for an OWP, i was upset to see the restrictions. I applied for the work permit through the spousal sponsorship program and tried to flagpole (after my upfront medical) which was unsuccessful. I just reapplied for a change in conditions and am waiting to see when I will hear back.

kpas

Oct 3, 2017
yes i did. i applied online to change the conditions of my open work permit and paid another 255. i also passed an upfront medical exam together with my application.
I am in the same situation as well. It is very frustrating to hear that this keeps happening to people since the stipulations are not very clearly or explicitly stated on the CIC website. I feel like i've scoured that website for information and still missed it. After waiting 14 weeks for an OWP, i was upset to see the restrictions. I applied for the work permit through the spousal sponsorship program and tried to flagpole (after my upfront medical) which was unsuccessful. I just reapplied for a change in conditions and am waiting to see when I will hear back.
Did you reapply online? I'm trying but it won't let me!!

bobitto

Jan 31, 2018
Hi, how were you able to apply online, the system won't let me in based on questionnaires I filled.

cuaquero

Apr 23, 2018
If you already have the medical, you can go to any airport and talk to a CIC agent, they will remove the restriction and get you a new work permit. You don't have to leave the country and re-enter.