+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to reach CIC Call Centre toll free number from outside Canada??

moshi_moshi

Apr 16, 2012
Quick comment just to mention I was able to reach a CIC agent today (04/16) calling from Mexico.

I followed the instructions provided:

+1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: options 1,2,1,2,1 ... then 0 to skip the message)

That redirected my call to CIC. I waited for 10mins and finally reached an agent.

My question was about using either my immigrant visa or my multiple entry visa for an initial trip I'm planning to do to setup everything before the rest of the family travel together and do the landing.

At some point of the conversation he asked me where I was calling from. I told him that I was currently located in Mexico. Then he said: "sir, you're not supposed to call this number if you're outside Canada. How did you reached this number" (he sounded mad). I explained him what I did, and kept asking me why and how I got there. I explained 2-3 more times until he finally accepted (resigned) to help me.

So, bottom-line: the number above works, BUT since that number is only for people currently in Canada, if your question reveals your calling from overseas, the agent might refuse to help (not sure, I was lucky and got my question answered).

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I tried using the number and dialing ways. but it says to me. "we are sorry, something something.. you are not located , you cannot reach the number" :( :( :(

chrismartin4u

Apr 27, 2012
I agree with Jack. In this situation it’s always better to ask someone who live in Canada to get the information of the number. I think this is the best thing you can do.

jucasa

Sep 17, 2012
sanchalanam said:
Dear All,

I am desperately looking for some help. I landed in Canada in July this year and gave my relatives home address for PR Card. After landing I stayed in Canada for a week and came back to US. Now, it is more than 45 days and I haven't received my PR Card yet. I wanted to call and find out the status of my PR Card. I have the number (1 888 242 2100) but it is only accessible only from with in Canada. I tried several ways to get to this toll free number but in vain. I purchased a calling card online for use within Canada and dialed the access number from US and then tried to call the above toll free number and it didn't work. Called from my land-line, cellphone, VOIP phone from US and none worked. If you know any other method to reach this toll free number please share the information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanchi

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they have blocked the number from outside Canada, you could ask someone who is in Canada to make the call for you but in that case, that person must be able to pretend they are you and have all the info on your case. Otherwise, there is a way for a person in Canada to get you in touch with immigration if they have 3 way calling. They can call immigration and add you to the call. You do not have to tell immigration that it is a 3 way call and you do not have to tell them that you are outside Canada. Just ask what you have to.

If you are asking about your PR card and when will it come, that is fine but you do not have to ask about how you get back to Canada without a PR card because that is pretty easy. 1) If your PR card arrives at the address of family/friends in Canada, they can mail or fedex it to you where you are and you use it to get back. 2) If your PR card doesn't arrive and you are visa exempt, you simply return to Canada on the strength of your passport and as you get to immigration, you show them the landing papers and cancelled visa, say you had to leave before you got the card and now you are back. 2b) if your PR card doesn't arrive and you are not visa exempt, you apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy.

As was said earlier on this thread, the processing time for a PR card is currently 55 business days for new PR's (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp for the updated most current times) and that means 5 business days a week = 11 weeks or almost 3 months. Therefore you should not despair if it hasn't shown up within 45 days.

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
I am in the same boat. Almost 6o business days, and still no letter or PR card. Might make sense to enter Canada with COPR at the Rainbor Bridge border, and then work on the PR again, once inside. As I understand it, your PR status is never in jeopardy if you don't receive the card. You are still a PR as long you have over 2 years in a rolling 5 years.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's right. The card is not that important. You can always get a travel document to return to Canada if you meet the residency requirements or still could for your first 5 years as a PR. You are allowed to be outside Canada for up to 3 years so as long as you are applying for the travel document within 3 years of landing, you should have no problem getting it. No proof of stays in Canada required because if you landed less than 3 years ago, it would be impossible for you to be in breach of the residency obligation already.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
realtexdex said:
To recap, one can land through a land border with the US on foot without a PR card right?
Yes, if you are visa exempt, you can fly, take a bus, drive, walk. If you are not visa exempt, you can drive or walk because to fly or take a bus, you would need either a PR card or a travel document. When you get to Canada immigration, just show the PR visa in your passport and your landing documents and say you had to leave to take care of stuff before you could get your PR card. They will let you in.

merik82

Dec 18, 2012
just a quick note for the ones that are desperately trying to call immigration (like me today :))

number +1 613 944 4000 works but for some strange reason it was only possible by using an actual phone (mobile in my case)
i tried skype etc before that and didn't get through (message that call cannot be completed as dialed)

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
24-10-2012. PP RECEIVED LVO 29 OCT, Decesion made line added Nov 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2012, PP returned back 20-11-2012
LANDED..........
Jun 2013 got PR card August 20 2013
sanchalanam said:
Dear All,

I am desperately looking for some help. I landed in Canada in July this year and gave my relatives home address for PR Card. After landing I stayed in Canada for a week and came back to US. Now, it is more than 45 days and I haven't received my PR Card yet. I wanted to call and find out the status of my PR Card. I have the number (1 888 242 2100) but it is only accessible only from with in Canada. I tried several ways to get to this toll free number but in vain. I purchased a calling card online for use within Canada and dialed the access number from US and then tried to call the above toll free number and it didn't work. Called from my land-line, cellphone, VOIP phone from US and none worked. If you know any other method to reach this toll free number please share the information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sanchi
[/quote

did u find any solution]

sharat_joshi77

Jun 21, 2011
Brampton
Visa Office......
Mexico City
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Mar-2010
Doc's Request.
May-2010
IELTS Request
May-2010
File Transfer...
May-2010
Med's Request
Nov-2011
Med's Done....
Feb-2011
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
June-2011
LANDED..........
Aug-2011
Guys,
Just wanted to share my experiance. I called from India on the toll free number shared in the thread in initial posts by skype.
FIrst of all, it took almost 4-5 times to connect with some person on other side and every time it took about 5-8 minutes.

When i was connected with a lady on the other side, she asked so many questions to confirm my identity.
Couple of times, I had to recall some answers and i was doing "ummm.. just a sec", she promptly told me i can't do that and If I am doing, she will think I am not the person who I say I was...

FInally she said that she cannot give me any details as she thinks I am the wrong person calling for some info and she will not give any information.
I was terrified that this should not affect my processing. But after couple of weeks, got an update that my PR cards were delivered.

So, In summary, if you are trying to call from outside canada, please be handy with all the docs like landing paper, your address you gave while landing, contact nubers, pin codes etc...

Hope it would be helpful..

Immi_advisor

Feb 2, 2013
Just an advice,
Stay try staying away from megabus on the route US-CAN. These guys are terrible when dealing with your luggage and are rather rude.