+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to prove I'm a PR without PR Card

despacito

Aug 3, 2017
Montreal
I have been fortunate enough to get accepted for job in the federal government. During my security check the officer doing my background check told me she couldn't accept my PR card because it is expired. The reason I left my PR card expired is that I applied for citizenship, passed the citizenship exam and I am waiting to get an invitation for the citizenship ceremony.
I sent her my "confirmation of permanent residence" IMM5292 and my notice to attend the citizenship exam. She said she'll check out my files and never got back to me.
How can I prove I'm a PR without a PR card? As I understand it, the card is just a travel document and there are a lot people with a valid permanent resident status living in Canada without the card.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Perhaps she is waiting until you have gone to your citizenship exam because she can't verify any of that information with CIC. Your file is private and they will not give her any information (unless of course you applied to the CIC office). If, however, you pass your exam and then get invited for your oath, that would clearly demonstrate that you are in fact a 'valid' PR living in Canada without a PR card. Sadly, the PR card is only supposed to be a travel document of sorts, but due to function creep it has become so much more than that. If you have questions then I would suggest you call the office to which you applied and ask them directly.

Reactions: despacito

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
So do you have documents from your citizenship exam or any other correspondence related to that? Doubt you could apply for citizenship if you weren't a PR in good standing. Submit those items for her to review.

Reactions: despacito

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can't you show your COPR and landing documents? Your SIN number could also be proof, assuming it doesn't begin with "9".