+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get PR. What are my options??

get by

Mar 7, 2009
I am in a very difficult situation as I am running out of my work permit. I have a bachelors degree from Canada and currently on a post graduate work permit that is ending next year. I have 2 years work experience and my points for EE are 418 which is too low for ITA. I live in Ontario and the ontario govt has stopped all invitation till JAN 2017. In the time being, what are my changes of applying for PR and getting it. Which stream should I look at. I have a degree, work experience and have been in canada for 8 years now (first on study permit and now on PGWP). My work permit expires in 1 year. I have a full time job but I am on a contract for 1 year. My company is not going to provide an LMIA.

Please advise. All help is appreciated.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Try provincial programs. Not all of them ask to graduate in their province. You have some time to get job in any province.

And what is about your English language score? Maybe you could improve it too to get more points?

djshshajtm

Nov 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply to other provinces than Ontario.
Wait for Ontario to open it's program and apply there too.
That is the only way as your score won't be competitive near ~490.

Karim Saleh

Jul 12, 2016
are you still working? if yes, why do not you ask your employer to give you a new job offer which is permanent and apply as Skilled Worker. you will gain 600 points from the new job offer beside your 490 point as far as i know.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Karim Saleh said:
are you still working? if yes, why do not you ask your employer to give you a new job offer which is permanent and apply as Skilled Worker. you will gain 600 points from the new job offer beside your 490 point as far as i know.
That's incorrect, he would need an LMIA, not just a job offer. The job offer gives you no additional point.

Karim Saleh

Jul 12, 2016
yes, i mean that the employer apply for LMIA to issue him a new permanent job offer.

Is this applicable if he is currently working under a temp. work permit for the same employer and the employer accepted to issue a new job offer and apply for new LMIA ?

djshshajtm

Nov 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Karim Saleh said:
yes, i mean that the employer apply for LMIA to issue him a new permanent job offer.

Is this applicable if he is currently working under a temp. work permit for the same employer and the employer accepted to issue a new job offer and apply for new LMIA ?
It's possible although, during your LMIA process, you may lose your job/position to a fit Canadian.

Karim Saleh

Jul 12, 2016
yes, i see. i hope this can help our friend here.

I just have a question about the LMIA. if the person is already in the job. and the employer wants to offer him/her a new job offer to support his/her EE profile. and the new LMIA was rejected. does this mean that the employee should leave his job (although he/she is currently working on a valid temp. work permit)?

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Karim Saleh said:
yes, i see. i hope this can help our friend here.

I just have a question about the LMIA. if the person is already in the job. and the employer wants to offer him/her a new job offer to support his/her EE profile. and the new LMIA was rejected. does this mean that the employee should leave his job (although he/she is currently working on a valid temp. work permit)?
No

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
get by said:
I am in a very difficult situation as I am running out of my work permit. I have a bachelors degree from Canada and currently on a post graduate work permit that is ending next year. I have 2 years work experience and my points for EE are 418 which is too low for ITA. I live in Ontario and the ontario govt has stopped all invitation till JAN 2017. In the time being, what are my changes of applying for PR and getting it. Which stream should I look at. I have a degree, work experience and have been in canada for 8 years now (first on study permit and now on PGWP). My work permit expires in 1 year. I have a full time job but I am on a contract for 1 year. My company is not going to provide an LMIA.
One option is to look for another job with an employer who can offer a permanent position and/or LMIA. I don't say this lightly, I realize how difficult this is. But as long as you have a job, you can do this from a position of safety, not desperation.

Good luck -

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
Just wanted to let you know that contractual employments are not counted as valid work experience.
your options
1- If you are married your spouse can start education and get a full time study permit. You will get an open work for spouse.
2- Hope you get a nomination and apply for PR...You can get BOWP to continue.

I hope things get better for you. I was in a similar spot last year. Good Luck!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
srm057 said:
Just wanted to let you know that contractual employments are not counted as valid work experience.
your options
This is not exactly correct. There is a difference between "contract employment" (term-limited employment) which is valid for Canadian work experience, and self-employed contractor- self-employment is not eligible.

However, A term-limited job offer (rather than a permanent job offer) would not meet the definition of a "valid job offer" even if the employer had an LMIA...

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
jes_ON said:
This is not exactly correct. There is a difference between "contract employment" (term-limited employment) which is valid for Canadian work experience, and self-employed contractor- self-employment is not eligible.

However, A term-limited job offer (rather than a permanent job offer) would not meet the definition of a "valid job offer" even if the employer had an LMIA...
My bad.... I apologize... you are right only self-employed contractual jobs will not be counted.