+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get a G driver's license for newcomers?

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
For us who already have a visa; What papers should we bring to Canada for us to get a full G license (or even a G1) quickly?

Assuming we've been driving for the longest time (15+ years) in our country of origin and are actually qualified drivers. We have a driver's license issued by our local authorities (Philippines in my case). Do we need to bring additional papers to apply for a G license in Canada (Ontario in my case)? Like some letter form the issuing body of my license? Or would my license card do?

banrad

Star Member
May 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For Ontario, check the official DriveTest pages and the information on out-of-country drivers
http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Out-of-Country-Drivers.aspx

In general, you'll need a letter of authentication (see the link) if you want to claim 12+ months of driving experience. If the letter is not in English/French, a translation will be necessary. Don't bother obtaining a translation, if needed, in the country of your origin. DriveTest requires a translation to be done by an ATIO translator here in Ontario (ATIO - association of translators and interpreters of Ontario).

A Letter of authentication is required if you claim over 12 months of experience, which entitles you to take G2 test (12-24 months) or full G directly (more than 24 months). Without it, providing only a translation of your out-of-Canada driver's licence, TestDrive will only recognize your experience as being less than 12 months.
Be aware that when you claim 24+ months, you only have one attempt at G test; if you fail, you'll need to go for G2 with a 1-year mandatory wait period before attempting full G gain.

Please, check the link provided and other threads on this forum.... there's an abundance of them here :)

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
banrad said:
For Ontario, check the official DriveTest pages and the information on out-of-country drivers
http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Out-of-Country-Drivers.aspx ...
Thanks banrad. I found what I was looking for from the link that you provided:
4. Letters of Authentication

An original Letter of Authentication in the support of the licence being presented is mandatory when claiming more than 12 months previous driving experience.

The Letter of Authentication:

May be acquired from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner's Office representing the originating jurisdiction, OR from the jurisdiction that originally issued the licence, validating the authenticity of the licence.
Must be on the originator's official letterhead paper.
Must be dated no more than 6 months prior to application date.
Must clearly state that it is certifying the duration of the applicant's driving experience and that the licence to which it refers is valid – the licence cannot be expired or suspended.
If not in English or French must be translated by a Ministry recognize translator.
I also found this from my issuing body's website (LTO Philippines):

[quote author=LTO Website, http://lto.gov.ph/index.php/faqs/driver-s-licensing]
7. I'm currently out of the country and I would like to request for copies of my driver's license records in the Philippines. How can I obtain this?
With reference to your query, hereunder is the requirements & procedures to wit:
7.1. The authorized representative here in the Philippines may file your written request at LTO, License Section, W -10, East Avenue, QC;
7.2. Certification Fee is P100.00;
7.3. State your purpose;
7.4. For easy reference, please include in your request complete name, birthday, and driver's license no., if available.
7.5. Certification is being issued by mail or through representative (due to issuance of Official Receipts and use of Security papers for authentication purposes)

[/quote]

AND, I'm not sure if I need to have the letter authenticated by the DFA (Department of Foreign Affairs)? Or would the letter from the Land Transportaion Office (LTO) suffice?

[quote author=DFA Website, http://www.dfa.gov.ph/index.php/component/content/article/147-dfa-citezens-charter-one/4463-authentication-division]
7. Driver's Licenses
- Applicant must first secure certification from Land Transportation Office (LTO Main Branch).
[/quote]

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are able to get a certificate (letter) in question, from your LTO on a letter head with the office seal, it could work at MTO in Canada. But if it is a computer printout, you may be required to go for tests. I produced 20+ years driving experience from the Govt licence issuing authority, which was only a print out, and I had to attend written test and took road tests for G2 and later G respectively.

johny gaddar

Sep 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9th March 2010
Doc's Request.
1st May2010
AOR Received.
28th June 2010
IELTS Request
Already given - 7 bands
File Transfer...
09th May 2010
Med's Request
FR and started processing since Jan 26, 12.
hi..just to add...you may bring a "no claim" certificate from ur
insurance company stating tht you never claimed for any accident..or
for anyother reason...you will get cash benefits when u
buy a car insurance...hope this will b of assistance.