+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter work experience when there is a 2 year gap in between jobs

John Immanuel

Sep 9, 2019
Hyderabad, India & Vancouver Canada
Visa Office......
globaltree
Hi,
Sorry I am reviving this old thread.. My wife has 5.5 years experience from same employer where she worked for 2.5 continuously any case... But after marriage she came with me abroad there was 8 months gap where no salary employment continued... again she worked for year then come maternity break of 10 months...

No gaps are mentioned in her experience letter.. it simply says she worked from Date X to Date Y

When I applied for OINP I mentioned in LoE about the breaks... I hope it is suffice.. but what would you suggest?

Thanks.

Regards,
Ganesh
Hello

Employment Gap Explanation
  • Full-Time Parent. Taking time off from your career for extended parental leave is neither uncommon nor unreasonable in the eyes of most prospective employers. So It Doesn't matter if you are on maternity, paternity, vacation for months. As long as you are still on your company payroll, that period cannot be deducted from your period of employment.

But the leave will not counted as work experience if employed by the company but not actually on a company payroll.

Reactions: PV_Ganesh

PV_Ganesh

Star Member
Jul 30, 2019
Hello

Employment Gap Explanation
  • Full-Time Parent. Taking time off from your career for extended parental leave is neither uncommon nor unreasonable in the eyes of most prospective employers. So It Doesn't matter if you are on maternity, paternity, vacation for months. As long as you are still on your company payroll, that period cannot be deducted from your period of employment.

But the leave will not counted as work experience if employed by the company but not actually on a company payroll.
Thanks John.. Is there any official statement?..

So it would go like this for me.. though the long unpaid leaves not shows up in the letter.. I have to voluntarily declare it and reduce from the year of experience... At least I have to reveal them it in LoE.

happybirthday

Feb 26, 2020
Basically once you meet the requirement of a year of continuous work experience you can add all other skilled work experience even if they are gaps in between.

Therefore yes, you can count your 3 years 8 months of work experience and you'll get the maximum CRS points for foreign work experience.
I would like to ask if the experience before that "1-year continuous work experience" also counts? Thanks!

PV_Ganesh

Star Member
Jul 30, 2019
I would like to ask if the experience before that "1-year continuous work experience" also counts? Thanks!
It depends, I guess for OINP it(1 year cont. exp.) should be in last 5 years and EE/Federal it should be in last 10 years.. There are official docs available there.