+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to enter country for inland.

Rsquare

Star Member
Apr 12, 2017
So my wife (Canadian) and I (USA) want to apply for inland sponsorship. We got married in April, but decided that it was best at that time for me to return home and work a little bit more to save up some money. So I'm currently in the US.

I plan on going to visit her sometime next month, and we're planning to apply inland after I arrive. Should I mention this at the border when crossing? I've been searching these forums, and I've seen some conflicting info on this matter. I know you're not supposed to cross as a visitor with the intention of staying. But I've also read on here that a lot of people do that and it works out just fine. But I've also heard of people being denied entry.

How do I go about doing this without causing myself any trouble? Should we send the forms in first so that they are in the system? What do I mention to the officer as I enter? We are married and are trying to plan a life together. We just want to be together sooner.

The previous times I visited, the plan was that she would move to the US. I usually just mentioned this to the officer and they had no problems with me visiting. But since my last visit to Canada, we've changed plans to me moving over there. I'm not sure what how to approach this.

The best advice I've seen is to just go for a visit, have return tickets, plan to leave, and then decide if you want to stay after you arrive. What does everyone here think?
Apply outland - it's faster and more efficient. Like everyone said, you can be processed outland while visiting canada (emphasis on the word "visiting"). I know it's weird being processed as outland, but Canadian law treats you as a "visitor" while in Canada so you still fall in that category if you choose to. Mine was processed in 3 months (from AOR1 to landing) and to think i had other docus to submit because while I am a US citizen, I was born and raised in the Philippines.

I went in and out of Canada while my PR is being processed. No issues at all. I was just honest that I was visiting my wife and family, although I always had a return ticket. I stayed the entire summer last year in Canada (2.5 months) and the CBSA did not have a problem with it. They are less strict with US citizens.

Good luck and i hope your application goes well. :)

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Then what's the difference between inland and outland?
Inland: You must be living together in Canada when you apply. You must continue living together in Canada for the duration of the application, which takes years. You can get an open work permit to allow you to work while you wait. The application is processed in Canada.

Outland: You can be living together or not anywhere in the world. You do not get a work permit as you are not required to be in Canada (although you can be). The process is faster, because of an imperative for reunification. The application might be processed in Canada, or in a High Commission/Embassy/Visa Office in your home country or region.

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
You are visiting your spouse while waiting. Dual intent is permissible in Canada. (However, the sole intent of crossing to apply for PR is not).

Target times are 12 months across the board. Average processing times are substantially different.
So what exactly should I tell the border guy when he asks me what am I going to do in Canada. Staying with spouse and kid while I wait for the PR process? I always say to visit spouse but they never ask if I'm going to stay long, how long I have left or if I have any application.. I will be still making trips to US and back, so I wonder how the 6-mo are tallied and when I should file for extension. Maybe I'm making it more complicated than I should :)

Owl29

Nov 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-12-2015
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
05-10-2015
Interview........
18-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2016
LANDED..........
06-04-2016
So what exactly should I tell the border guy when he asks me what am I going to do in Canada. Staying with spouse and kid while I wait for the PR process? I always say to visit spouse but they never ask if I'm going to stay long, how long I have left or if I have any application.. I will be still making trips to US and back, so I wonder how the 6-mo are tallied and when I should file for extension. Maybe I'm making it more complicated than I should :)
Yes, you do :)

Apply outland ASAP, even if you are still in USA. If asked at the border, just say, that you are visiting your family and your PR application is in process. It will take you probably up to 6 months. It will be quicker, faster and less stress, as you can leave and come back to Canada as you pleased. Don't even think of going Inland route, as it will be long, especially when you are USA citizen.
My advise, apply ASAP and who knows, by the time you will be ready to move, you even will have landing papers.
6 months starts when you enter, if you leave and re-enter it resets and starts again. If you stay in Canada more than 6 months and haven't left, then you need to apply for extension from Canada, it's quite easy and used to cost 100 cad. But I doubt it will take more than 6 months, of course, it depends of your back story.

Reactions: pugwynde