+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring spouse to Canada before getting PR

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Hi,
So I am a little confused about this issue, and I need to better understand. It seems to me, as far as I know, that to bring my wife to Canada being an international student is much easier than as a PR holder! and it doesn't make any sense for me.
Do I have to wait for more than a year until my wife sponsorship is approved so that she can come to Canada? From what I read here, I knew that it is so hard to get a visitor visa for her to stay with me in Canada until she get PR.
Can someone please explain this issue for me. Thank you.

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
09-08-2018 returned 31-10-2018
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
Everything I read seemed super confusing too. That a why I opted for the outbound application. I would hate to uproot my kids . Then have to move back to Australia if we didnt get approved

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Everything I read seemed super confusing too. That a why I opted for the outbound application. I would hate to uproot my kids . Then have to move back to Australia if we didnt get approved
yes it is so confusing and disappointing, hope someone could clear this issue up.
May I ask why you leave Australia for Canada?

Last edited:

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
09-08-2018 returned 31-10-2018
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
Because I met the most wonderful man online 4 years ago. Married him a year ago and my kids are older then his. His son couldnt come here but both of mine can move there. We have flown back and forth so many times we decided we didnt care where we lived as long as we are together. However getting jobs here is not easy. Neither of us like the heat.. it's far more expensive too immigrate here. I was told it's about $8000. So we weighed up our options and made our decision. I'm moving purely for the love of my husband. I have a great job and lovely home. I'm hoping since Australia is a great place to live . That will help them realise we are genuinely in love.

Reactions: ezio

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Because I met the most wonderful man online 4 years ago. Married him a year ago and my kids are older then his. His son couldnt come here but both of mine can move there. We have flown back and forth so many times we decided we didnt care where we lived as long as we are together. However getting jobs here is not easy. Neither of us like the heat.. it's far more expensive too immigrate here. I was told it's about $8000. So we weighed up our options and made our decision. I'm moving purely for the love of my husband. I have a great job and lovely home. I'm hoping since Australia is a great place to live . That will help them realise we are genuinely in love.
That's so beautiful :) I wish you and your family all the best

Reactions: MazeML

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your wife isn't guaranteed a visa as an international student. You can apply but many get refused. Same as for spouses of PR. If you can prove that you are a true visitor and you have strong ties to your home country you may get a visa. If you are from a visa exempt country it is much easier to come to Canada and apply for inland spousal sponsorship.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Your wife isn't guaranteed a visa as an international student. You can apply but many get refused. Same as for spouses of PR. If you can prove that you are a true visitor and you have strong ties to your home country you may get a visa. If you are from a visa exempt country it is much easier to come to Canada and apply for inland spousal sponsorship.
Thank you for your reply. I see your point, but I have never seen any of my international student friends' spouses got refused for visa or open work permit and they didn't have travel history or much credit. From what I seen here I found that visa chances for PR wife is much lower than international student's wife. Is that true?
What is the logic behind being so restrictive for visa of PR spouse! The processing time for sponsorship is not even short! Why to separate between them for more than 1 year!

Hay04

Star Member
May 24, 2017
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
09-11-2018
File Transfer...
27-11-2018
Thank you for your reply. I see your point, but I have never seen any of my international student friends' spouses got refused for visa or open work permit and they didn't have travel history or much credit. From what I seen here I found that visa chances for PR wife is much lower than international student's wife. Is that true?
What is the logic behind being so restrictive for visa of PR spouse! The processing time for sponsorship is not even short! Why to separate between them for more than 1 year!
Most spousal sponsorship takes 5 to 6months now, however the max wait time is 12 months.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Most spousal sponsorship takes 5 to 6months now, however the max wait time is 12 months.
You mean that it is reduced these days? but it still shows that the average processing time is 12 months on cic website. Does it depends on your country of origin?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
You mean that it is reduced these days? but it still shows that the average processing time is 12 months on cic website. Does it depends on your country of origin?
Saying the average is 5 to 6 months is a big stretch. The target is 12 months, though outland is typically faster. It completely depends on the application, visa office, etc. 5 to 6 months is too much of a generalization.