+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring Indian Spouse to Canada

djluvrocks

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Greetings,

I recently became a Canadian citizen after holding Indian nationality since birth in India. This year, I plan to marry an Indian citizen whom I've known for some time. Our traditional wedding ceremony will take place in India later this year. I aim to bring her to Canada promptly after our marriage and prefer to handle any necessary paperwork beforehand, if feasible.

Based on my research, I've identified three potential options -
  1. Apply for a Visitor Visa before marriage, clearly indicating the intention to marry in the Invitation Letter. Following her arrival in Canada, obtain a Marriage License in Canada and apply for a change of status to a different visa category after few days. However, determining which category is suitable remains unclear to me?? Can I apply Open Work permit without job offer letter?
  2. Pursue spousal sponsorship after marriage.
  3. Apply PR as an individual. [ She will score low because of only one undergrad degree in education and reduced points in age. She's 35. ]

What are my easiest to difficult options (ranked) to bring her to Canada? Please let me know additional options/paths that I have not considered

Little about spouse for context -

While she hasn't held US/Canadian visas, she has traveled to Europe twice for work using a Schengen visa in the past decade. She's a working IT professional with 10+ years of experience and is in a senior position now. Has stable job, good savings/FD/Mutual Funds for finances and owns one property. She's divorced and all the legal paperwork is complete.

Tagging some VIP friends for help @scylla @canuck78 @Naturgrl . Others please feel free to respond too. Thank you all!

Last edited: