+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to be a Canadian CA....when you have passed USA CPA...

panks

Star Member
Mar 5, 2010
Hi Friends...

Can someone plz answer my following question...

I heard that if you are a non resident of Canada and if you have done CPA from USA, to be a Canadian CA, you just need to pass the CARE exams in Oct. There is a requirement that you should be holding certificate from that Board of Accountancy (Colorado in my case) before being eligible for Canadian CA.
As I am a Indian Citizen and resident....I am not eligible to get a certificate/license from Colorado.

My question - Can I be eligible to take CARE exam to be a Canadian CA just on the basis of passing the CPA exam requirement...as I don't/can't fulfill the other requirement..i.e holding a certificate requirement?

My second question - If the answer to the above question is in negative...what is the other way through which I can be a Canadian CA?

My third question - I am also an Indian CA....will this help me to take CARE exam?

Best Regards,

ramuaca

May 3, 2010
I am also on the same path (Indian CA + Passed CPA from Colorado; but not licensed). How do I pass Canadian CA? Can we apply for PR? How the job market for Indian CAs?

setcanada

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
12/02/10
AOR Received.
12/02/10
IELTS Request
12/02/10
File Transfer...
17/02/10
Med's Request
18 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
28 dec 2010
Passport Req..
18 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
2nd March 2011
LANDED..........
Landing on 8th April 2011 at Toronto
Ramu
Im also Indian CA and CPA from Colorado state US.
First of all we have to transfer our score from colorado to other state which is recognised by canadian CA authorities as colorado state does not meet requirement of 150 hr ..Im transferring my score from colorado to michigan as it has full reciprocaty with Canadian CA..We have to clear CARE exams to become Canaidan CA..Hope these info help
if any members have some more to add they are welcome to comments
Thx

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
Hi ! As most of U People did CPA from Colorado. There might be some solid reason of Choosing Colorado. Pls share.
Morover, Pls also describe the procedure for overseas applicants. I am CMA from Pk. Can I get registration in CPA Colorado or not.

setcanada said:
Ramu
First of all we have to transfer our score from colorado to other state which is recognised by canadian CA authorities as colorado state does not meet requirement of 150 hr ..Im transferring my score from colorado to michigan as it has full reciprocaty with Canadian CA..We have to clear CARE exams to become Canaidan CA..Hope these info help
Thx

setcanada

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
12/02/10
AOR Received.
12/02/10
IELTS Request
12/02/10
File Transfer...
17/02/10
Med's Request
18 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
28 dec 2010
Passport Req..
18 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
2nd March 2011
LANDED..........
Jojo
Most of people specially CA prefer to do from colorado because colorado state their is no requirement of 150 hrs and above all colorado state fully recognised indian CA and CA'S have to clear 4 papers to become CPA... .for info and eligiblity info visit http://www.becker.com/accounting/cpaexamreview/colorado/index.cfm
Hope the above info helps

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks Buddy !

setcanada said:
Jojo
Most of people specially CA prefer to do from colorado because colorado state their is no requirement of 150 hrs and above all colorado state fully recognised indian CA and CA'S have to clear 4 papers to become CPA... .for info and eligiblity info visit http://www.becker.com/accounting/cpaexamreview/colorado/index.cfm
Hope the above info helps

panks

Star Member
Mar 5, 2010
Hi Ramu,

Thanks a ton for this valuable info!!!

Plz correct if my following understanding is incorrect....

After transferring my CPA scores from Colorado to Michigan...I would be eligible for CARE exams...and nothing else I need to do....

Thanks & Regards,
Pankaj

setcanada said:
Ramu
Thx

jojobaba

Star Member
Jun 22, 2009
hi 2 All

All of U who have passed USA/Colorado CPA uniform exams . Pls reply:
1- Did u take this exams in USA only ? Or its exam centers are also outside USA ?
2- If u did take exam in USA Colorado, how u obtain the USA Visa for this ?
3- Any other related info

Regards
jojo

panks

Star Member
Mar 5, 2010
Hi Jo,

you can take USA CPA exams only from USA.....these exams do not happen outside USA.....One can apply visitor visa and take the CPA exams...I don't think getting visa would be an issue.

Regards,

setcanada

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
12/02/10
AOR Received.
12/02/10
IELTS Request
12/02/10
File Transfer...
17/02/10
Med's Request
18 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
28 dec 2010
Passport Req..
18 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
2nd March 2011
LANDED..........
panks
Yes if you transfer your score from colorado to michigan or any other state which have 150 hr requirement we are then good to go for CARE exams that normally held once in a year (Sep/0ct) kindly refer these link where canadian CA has reciprocaty with US CPA
www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/MembershipCandidacy/1011page1663.pdf
Panks wheer are you working right now and whats ur NOC code.

About JO enquiry i would like to add US visa is not easy to get as visa officer some times wont satisfied why we are going for CPA
My US visa rejected once but second times i got it for 10 year and I had pass all paper of CPA..I know lots of people whose visa denied just becaz they couldt convince visa officer...

panks

Star Member
Mar 5, 2010
hi setcanada,

I m working as Manager internal audit in a Indian company.....code is 1111...are you based out of India or you are in USA....

If I am not wrong, to get a reciprocity exemption for a Canadian CA, you need to be member with any of the state board of accounting (e.g. Michigan)...isn't it? Plz suggest

Thanks & Regards,

setcanada

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
12/02/10
AOR Received.
12/02/10
IELTS Request
12/02/10
File Transfer...
17/02/10
Med's Request
18 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
28 dec 2010
Passport Req..
18 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
2nd March 2011
LANDED..........
Hi Pankaj
Im working in US based MNC in India....As far as i know if we manage to transfer score we Would be eligible to give CARE exams but i will once again confirm with my couple of friends who are based in canada and soon will send mail to CICA to reassure about reciprocaty
Kindly share your timeline...>>
Thanks

panks

Star Member
Mar 5, 2010
Hi,

Plz share your name!! :)

My timelines are as follows:

Sent application to Nova scotia - 29th Sep 09
Recd mail from CHC - 7th Dec 09
Doc submitted to CHC, New Delhi - 14th Mar 10
Status updated to "In Process" on - 7th Apr 10
Med Request - No yet recd

Request you to plz keep me posted about the update you will get from your friends on CPA thing....

Thanks & Regards,
Pankaj

panks

Star Member
Mar 5, 2010
Hi Setcanada,

How are you...

Request you to plz confirm as to what cost is involved to transfer the CPA scores to Michigan Board....?

How much time it takes to get this done?

When are you planning to take your CARE exam?

Thanks & Regards,

setcanada

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
12/02/10
AOR Received.
12/02/10
IELTS Request
12/02/10
File Transfer...
17/02/10
Med's Request
18 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
28 dec 2010
Passport Req..
18 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
2nd March 2011
LANDED..........
Hi panks
im in touch with some guyz who will guide us about transfer of score from colorado to michigan give me some time i will post answer soon..
About CARE exams we can only give once we get our PR of canada..so these year its not possible..next year sure if PR comes..
Regards