+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to apply for TRV when she is here?

Vaughn

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
Hello all!

I am very fortunate in the sense that my spouse which i am sponsoring who holds an Indonesian passport is living with me now in Canada due to the work permit she was granted while we wait for the PR to be processed which is estimated at 22 months through the Singapore office.

However 22 months is a long time and she would like to visit her family at some point in time. I have attempted to get answers from the 1-800 but that rarely turns out well. When i did get a hold of someone they told me that she would have to apply for a TRV and then send the paperwork to a USA office. Can anyone verify if that is correct? It sounds kinda crazy that someone living in Canada would have to send the paperwork for a TRV to another country.

Also the only link to the application for a TRV that i can locate is for when they are living outside the country (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp), is anyone aware of an application for a TRV when you are living in the country?

Please advise

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
What you have heard is true. Temporary Residents in Canada should apply their TRV outside Canada. You may send your application to any Canadian Visa office in USA. TRV's are not processed inside Canada! All foreign workers are going through this. Only work permits can be renewed within Canada.

Vaughn

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
Thanks for the reply sttn. Can you comment if we should be applying with the TRV with an "Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada [IMM 5257]"? I would have thought that there would be a form for those living in Canada at the time.

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Vaughn said:
Thanks for the reply sttn. Can you comment if we should be applying with the TRV with an "Application for Temporary Resident Visa Made Outside of Canada [IMM 5257]"? I would have thought that there would be a form for those living in Canada at the time.
You got it right! IMM5257 is the form. You must fill this out online and validate the data you have entered. Then you will get a page full of barcodes and that should go on top of the application package. There are two other forms also included on the package and family information form also should go with your 5257. Check if the other forms (if you are using a rep etc.)are applicable to you as well!

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Cheers! Good luck with your visa!
Buffalo process is faster than other offices in USA. I have tried Seattle and took longer..