+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for passport for newborns inside Canada?

pranovic

Jul 27, 2011
Here are my understandings and, seniors, please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Here is our situation:
(1) we are both on work permit
(2) we have received our AOR and medical request. We are postponing it for the baby to be delivered to take the exam along with my wife.

I understand that I need to obtain birth certificate and Canadian passport for the new baby to send to the VISA office to request a medical form for my baby. Now, what are the procedures to get the passport for my newborn then? Here are the procedures that I googled but I am not too sure:
(1) Passport Picture
(2) Go to complete and return the Registration of Live Birth form at Vital Statistics Office
(3) Get birth certificate from Vital Statistics Office or Service BC Office, according to this webpage:
http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/births/certificate.html
(4) Fill out the forms PPTC155
(5) Go to Passport Canada (BC: Canada Place?) and submit the applications.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

pranovic said:
Here are my understandings and, seniors, please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Here is our situation:
(2) we have received our AOR and medical request. We are postponing it for the baby to be delivered to take the exam along with my wife.

I understand that I need to obtain birth certificate and Canadian passport for the new baby to send to the VISA office to request a medical form for my baby. Now, what are the procedures to get the passport for my newborn then? Here are the procedures that I googled but I am not too sure:
(1) Passport Picture
(2) Go to complete and return the Registration of Live Birth form at Vital Statistics Office
(3) Get birth certificate from Vital Statistics Office or Service BC Office, according to this webpage:
1. If the child is born in Canada, s/he is a Canadian citizen and doesn't have to have a medical or be sponsored. So all you need is a copy of the birth certificate.

pranovic

Jul 27, 2011
Ah..I apologize for the misunderstanding. The medical is for immigration which states all family members must take. I do not have to sponsor my child but his medical exam is a must, I think.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

pranovic said:
Ah..I apologize for the misunderstanding. The medical is for immigration which states all family members must take. I do not have to sponsor my child but his medical exam is a must, I think.
No, you are misunderstanding, the child is a Canadian and doesn't require a medical, trust me.

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
pranovic said:

Here is our situation:

(1) Passport Picture

birth certificate and thats it.

pranovic

Jul 27, 2011
Just contacted CIC and you guys are right. My boy will be granted the citizenship and thus he does not need medical exam. CIC told me that it is all family members WHO ARE NOT CITIZEN or PR who must take the exam.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is right. A child born in Canada is a citizen unless the parents are diplomats. A citizen does not need to be sponsored, should not be included on your immigration application except on the additional family information form and will not need a medical. If you read the top of your IMM0008 you will see that it asks to list only your dependents who are not PR or citizens already.

dadakoko

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a quick one guys as am getting confused.

If couple, Husband has Study Permit and wife has Open Work permit as his dependent have a child in Canada does the child become a citizen? Where can I get more information

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dadakoko said:

If couple, Husband has Study Permit and wife has Open Work permit as his dependent have a child in Canada does the child become a citizen? Where can I get more information
If the child not born in Canada, it is not a citizen. Read www.cic.gc.ca for more details.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dadakoko said:

Almost all children born in Canada get citizenship at birth. There are only a few exceptions like the parents being diplomats or working for the UN.

dadakoko

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Steaky
Both parents are already in canada but with the status I mentioned.

@Leon
Thanks, going thru cic.gc.ca almost got me confused, I tot it meant the child only got citizenship if either or both parent were citizens, diplomats, working for international organizations or were permanent residents.

As you clarified it appears a kid born of a student and an open work permit holder while they are in Canada is a citizen!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dadakoko said:
As you clarified it appears a kid born of a student and an open work permit holder while they are in Canada is a citizen!
Yes, that child is a citizen, so are the children born to tourists, illegals, refugees, people on work permits, PR's, citizens and almost everybody.

Arwin

Oct 14, 2011
Leon said:
Almost all children born in Canada get citizenship at birth. There are only a few exceptions like the parents being diplomats or working for the UN.
so this publication from Canadian citizenship applies only for diplomats or UN?
Who is a Canadian citizen?

In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada. You are not a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada and at the time of your birth, your parents were neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, and at least one parent had diplomatic status in Canada.
In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you became a citizen through the naturalization process in Canada (i.e., you were a permanent resident [a landed immigrant] before you became a citizen).

In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you were born outside Canada and one of your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth because the parent was either born in Canada or naturalized in Canada (i.e., the parent was a permanent resident [a landed immigrant] before becoming a citizen). You are the first generation born outside Canada. For more information, please see the “First generation limit to citizenship by descent” section.
You may be a Canadian citizen if you were born outside Canada between January 1, 1947, and April 16, 2009 inclusively, to a Canadian parent who was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent (you are the second or subsequent generation born outside Canada). If you think this may apply to you and you need more information, please contact us (see the “Contact Information” section at the end of this publication).

It clearly says there that you are not a Canadian citizen if at the time of your birth neither your parents are Canadian citizen or permanent resident. I am confused too cause I knew a lot of temporary workers (both parents) getting pregnant so their children will be Canadian automatically.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Arwin said:
so this publication from Canadian citizenship applies only for diplomats or UN?
Who is a Canadian citizen?

In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada. You are not a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada and at the time of your birth, your parents were neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, and at least one parent had diplomatic status in Canada.
In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you became a citizen through the naturalization process in Canada (i.e., you were a permanent resident [a landed immigrant] before you became a citizen).

In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you were born outside Canada and one of your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth because the parent was either born in Canada or naturalized in Canada (i.e., the parent was a permanent resident [a landed immigrant] before becoming a citizen). You are the first generation born outside Canada. For more information, please see the “First generation limit to citizenship by descent” section.
You may be a Canadian citizen if you were born outside Canada between January 1, 1947, and April 16, 2009 inclusively, to a Canadian parent who was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent (you are the second or subsequent generation born outside Canada). If you think this may apply to you and you need more information, please contact us (see the “Contact Information” section at the end of this publication).

It clearly says there that you are not a Canadian citizen if at the time of your birth neither your parents are Canadian citizen or permanent resident. I am confused too cause I knew a lot of temporary workers (both parents) getting pregnant so their children will be Canadian automatically.
You have to read the whole sentence. Children born to diplomats in Canada, can't claim citizenship, unless one parent was a permanent resident or citizen. Otherwise everyone else born in Canada is a citizen, no matter what their parents status is.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arwin said:
Arwin, you are missing the and in the sentence above. Children of students, temporary foreign workers visitors and illegals in Canada all get citizenship unless the other parent is a diplomat.