+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for Canadian passport for a baby of Canadian after birth in USA

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
I'm a Canadian and my wife is Chinese. We are planning to give our baby birth in USA. I understand our baby can apply for American passport after birth, but don't know how can apply for Canadian passport after birth when we are physically in USA? Thanks.

BackToOntario

Star Member
Aug 18, 2018
We applied for my daughter's Canadian citizenship card (now they give a citizenship certificate instead of the old card) and then used that to apply for her Canadian passport.
Mailed via FedEx or UPS from the US, since we live in the US.

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
You'll need to contact the nearest Canadian consulate in USA and apply for the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and passport simultaneously.
Thanks, but I heard the Canadian consulate in USA won't be responsible for citizenship and passport.

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
We applied for my daughter's Canadian citizenship card (now they give a citizenship certificate instead of the old card) and then used that to apply for her Canadian passport.
Mailed via FedEx or UPS from the US, since we live in the US.
Thank you very much for your reply and share with me the case of your daughter.
Whether your daughter was born in USA? It seems the entire of your daughter's citizenship application took about 4 months. If it takes that long, we may have to return to China after the baby birth and apply for the Canadian Citizenship at the Canadian Embassy in China. I hope it will be workable.

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
Thanks, but I heard the Canadian consulate in USA won't be responsible for citizenship and passport.
You are right, my apologies. If it is a regular application for citizenship certificate and passport, consulates in US will not be able to assist you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is also the possibility that your wife will be not be allowed to enter the US. Pregnant women can be refused entry. It doesn't sound like you are currently resting in the US.

Reactions: BackToOntario

BackToOntario

Star Member
Aug 18, 2018
Thank you very much for your reply and share with me the case of your daughter.
Whether your daughter was born in USA? It seems the entire of your daughter's citizenship application took about 4 months. If it takes that long, we may have to return to China after the baby birth and apply for the Canadian Citizenship at the Canadian Embassy in China. I hope it will be workable.
Our daughter was born in the US, but entitled to Canadian citizenship because I'm a Canadian citizen (dual Canadian-US, actually). The timeline in my signature is my husband's Canadian permanent resident application that was recently approved so that we can all move to Canada over the summer.

We filed for her Canadian citizenship back in 2010. It did take a few months to receive the Citizenship card back then, and then another 2-3 weeks for the passport afterwards. I believe if you need the application rushed due to some sort of emergency you can get the embassy/consulate involved to expedite.

They do have the current citizenship application processing time estimate online, if that helps any (5 months): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html

Reactions: fangcai

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
There is also the possibility that your wife will be not be allowed to enter the US. Pregnant women can be refused entry. It doesn't sound like you are currently resting in the US.
Thanks for your reminder.

My wife has her 10 years B1/B2 visa and she has visited US many times in the past 6 years. Since giving baby birth is a different purpose of visiting, we are planning to write to the visa section of US Embassy in Beijing to tell our plan in fact and we will pay any medical bills and living expenses from our pocket, won't take any advantages of US social benefits. If everything is ok, we will do as our plan, otherwise, we will just give baby birth in China and the baby still can obtain Canadian citizenship.

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
Our daughter was born in the US, but entitled to Canadian citizenship because I'm a Canadian citizen (dual Canadian-US, actually). The timeline in my signature is my husband's Canadian permanent resident application that was recently approved so that we can all move to Canada over the summer.

We filed for her Canadian citizenship back in 2010. It did take a few months to receive the Citizenship card back then, and then another 2-3 weeks for the passport afterwards. I believe if you need the application rushed due to some sort of emergency you can get the embassy/consulate involved to expedite.

They do have the current citizenship application processing time estimate online, if that helps any (5 months): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html
Very appreciate your inputs:)

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
You are right, my apologies. If it is a regular application for citizenship certificate and passport, consulates in US will not be able to assist you.
Don't need to be apologies. We should say thank you for trying to help me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your reminder.

My wife has her 10 years B1/B2 visa and she has visited US many times in the past 6 years. Since giving baby birth is a different purpose of visiting, we are planning to write to the visa section of US Embassy in Beijing to tell our plan in fact and we will pay any medical bills and living expenses from our pocket, won't take any advantages of US social benefits. If everything is ok, we will do as our plan, otherwise, we will just give baby birth in China and the baby still can obtain Canadian citizenship.
You may find that birth tourism is no longer accepted especially given the current administration.

Reactions: YVR123