+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for an MEng course?

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am planning to apply for MEng in mechanical engineering at University of manitoba(materials engg), Saskatchewan(materials engg), Regina(Environmental science), Lethbridge(Environment science).

My profile:
Bachelors in mechancial engg from india 59% aggregate.
2yrs of work exp in materials stress analysis with an aerospace company.

I am planning to email the faculty members to get an idea of my acceptance, is this fine for a MEng course which is not research based? Do faculties reply for MEng courses?

What is the general approach to know if we have chances of acceptance from an university?

My backup is to apply for a diploma in materials engineering from NAIT, Is this fine? if i do UG diploma after an UG Degree?

Lastly, can someone brief on University of Lethbridge, Alberta? How the university is and the experience as a student at lethbridge?

reallynewbie

Dec 11, 2014
kartz said:
I am planning to email the faculty members to get an idea of my acceptance, is this fine for a MEng course which is not research based? Do faculties reply for MEng courses?
I am not certain about your other questions but this one I can answer:

I don't think that Professors will reply for M.Engg option. They have no say for M.Engg admissons. M.Engg admissions are done by a committe and if you can find the Program Director (which is a professor), if you send the email to him, then there are chances that he can reply. If you got the +ve reply, you have +ve chances for admission.

--
reallynewbie

EVIL007

Sep 22, 2014
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
upfront
This is written on Uofsak website:
In addition to the admission requirements given below for each graduate degree program, students cannot be admitted to any graduate degree program in Mechanical Engineering unless a faculty member agrees to supervise their program. Applications received by the department are circulated to faculty members in the applicant's identified research areas of interest. Students are also encouraged to visit our department website before applying for detailed information on faculty in our department and their research interests, and to contact faculty who they may be interested in working with.

Additionally I applied to UofR in industrial system engineering and they reject me by saying that they didn't find any supervisor for me.

So, if u r applying to Uofsask or UofR, email professors and if someone's reply positively, u r good to go.

reallynewbie

Dec 11, 2014
reallynewbie said:
I am not certain about your other questions but this one I can answer:

I don't think that Professors will reply for M.Engg option. They have no say for M.Engg admissons. M.Engg admissions are done by a committe and if you can find the Program Director (which is a professor), if you send the email to him, then there are chances that he can reply. If you got the +ve reply, you have +ve chances for admission.

--
reallynewbie
And in course based option, there is no supervisor and it is very difficult to get the reply from professor if he is not your supervisor. If you are planning to apply for research based option, then that is a different scenario (find the specific prof or apply to general pool where department send the applications to professors). OR go in course based option, once you are in uni, talk to professors and switch to research bases option.

--
reallynewbie

--
reallynewbie

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kartz said:
I am planning to apply for MEng in mechanical engineering at University of manitoba(materials engg), Saskatchewan(materials engg), Regina(Environmental science), Lethbridge(Environment science).

My profile:
Bachelors in mechancial engg from india 59% aggregate.
2yrs of work exp in materials stress analysis with an aerospace company.

What is the general approach to know if we have chances of acceptance from an university?

My backup is to apply for a diploma in materials engineering from NAIT, Is this fine? if i do UG diploma after an UG Degree?

Lastly, can someone brief on University of Lethbridge, Alberta? How the university is and the experience as a student at lethbridge?
You should contact the admissions office rather than faculty members.

Your acceptance will be based on whether you meet the schools requirements.

You should browse through their websites and go through what they're actually looking for.

kartz

Jun 25, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Firstly thank you all for the responses..

Would it be wise to mail the professors and the admission committee?

Also can you detail on how important bachelors degree scores are for an MEng application? Can work experience in relevant field be useful? I have 2yrs of work experience.. can this help me if i have low GPA?

EVIL007

Sep 22, 2014
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
upfront
Buddy, just email university of sask and Regina and ask them whether they need supervisor for M.eng course or not. U will get clear answer.

M.Eng course also include project work for which one needs supervisor. So, email professors buddy and if u r able to find one , u will have more chance of getting admission.

Requirements is of first class of many good university. So , before applying check whether u meet their minimum requirements or not.