+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How soon after marriage/common law does one get benefits?

pegasusyt

Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
My Canadian partner wants to sponsor me and we are considering both marrying and/or applying as common law partners. He claims that as soon as I'm approved as common-law (or as soon as we're married) I will immediately begin receiving his work benefits (health insurance etc). I believe it must be more complicated than that. Can anybody help us with this? Thank you again!

bonacker

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Eastern Long Island, New York
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June, 2012
File Transfer...
August, 2012
Med's Done....
March, 2012
I don't know about "common law" specifically, but I'm applying Family Class/Spouse and I definitely didn't get Canadian health-care benefits just because we were married.

PS: I've actually been told different things about when I'll be eligible: On the one hand, I'm told by lots of sources that it won't be until a few months after I've successfully completed the permanent residency process (in other words, towards the end of this year if I'm lucky and the application goes smoothly). But when we phoned the health care authorities here in Nova Scotia they told us that -- as long as we could show the official receipt showing we'd paid the application fees -- I'd be eligible for a health-care card as soon as we got our A.O.R. (which is the official notification that our complete application had been received by Buffalo). I don't know if the people who told us this in Nova Scotia were wrong: We phoned twice and asked two different people because, frankly, I have heard the opposite so many times I'm highly suspicious. But if they're right, the earliest I'd get health coverage would be maybe two to three months into the entire application process.

PPS: My answer doesn't have to do with workplace benefits, per se (like the U.S. model for insurance). I'm just talking about the publicly funded health care system.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pegasusyt said:
My Canadian partner wants to sponsor me and we are considering both marrying and/or applying as common law partners. He claims that as soon as I'm approved as common-law (or as soon as we're married) I will immediately begin receiving his work benefits (health insurance etc). I believe it must be more complicated than that. Can anybody help us with this? Thank you again!
Workplace benefits after you are married - it depends on the scheme, all I can suggest is read the fine print.

I understand that the earliest people would get health coverage on the Ontario system would be three months after becoming a PR.

midwifemia

Sep 2, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/12/2009
File Transfer...
25/01/2010
Med's Done....
27/10/2009
Passport Req..
08/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
26/04/2010
LANDED..........
01/05/2010
Baloo said:
I understand that the earliest people would get health coverage on the Ontario system would be three months after becoming a PR.
I spoke to the OHIP office when my boyfriend was renewing his health card and they said I could apply for Ontario health care as soon as I get a letter from the CIC saying that 'you are eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada'. They said that you will usually get a letter at some point in the application proceedings that has that exact phrase in it, bring it in to the office and you can apply straight away - can anyone confirm this?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I looked here http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/ohip/eligibility.html

The details of the Health Insurance Act - R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 552 talks about waiting periods.

"Waiting Periods

5. (1) Subject to subsection (2) and sections 6 to 6.3, and to subsection 11 (2.1) of the Act, a person shall only start receiving insured services once the General Manager is satisfied that he or she has been a resident for three full consecutive months, and has not stopped being a resident since meeting that three-month waiting period requirement. O. Reg. 133/09, s. 3."

pegasusyt

Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
Thanks everyone - sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant his work benefits, not the provincial health coverage, but your answers have helped me anyway!

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
pegasusyt said:
Thanks everyone - sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant his work benefits, not the provincial health coverage, but your answers have helped me anyway!
I read your initial post and saw work benefits. It may depend on the provider, but I added my partner before we were married, before we were common law, before he'd even crossed the border for the first time. It wasn't an issue and he's listed as spouse/partner.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You'd have to check your spouse's health plan details. Every plan will vary. It has nothing to do with immigration.

mashi

Jan 21, 2010
For gov't health care, it is not a "marriage" that entitles you to coverage. It is residency. Once you are a legal resident in the province, you have to wait 90 days before you are eligible for provincial health care. Doesn't matter if you are a temporary foreign worker on a work permit and no relatives in Canada....itis to do with your residency.

There is provincial coverage "repalcement" that you can purchase. So, if you are in Ontario, you can purchase what is called "OHIP replacement" insurance that will cover you for that 90 day waiting period -- but you must be resident and in that waiting period to get your OHIP replacement. IE/ you can't be there as a tourist, iykwim. The ohip replacement will cover you exactly as ohip would, but you pay for it, as you pay for any other type of health insurance. The last time I purchased ohip replacement (for an employee brought over on a work permit) it was not expensive, about $150 for the 90 days, but that was in 2001, so expect 9 years worth of inflation!

For employment related benefits I assume you mean group health insurance, such as prescription and dental coverage through an insurance company such as Great West or Sunlife, for instance? If so, the requirement from these insurance providers is that to be included in their insurance plans you must have OHIP (or ohip replacement) coverage. (Or whatever it is called in the province you are going to be in, just using Ontario as an example again). So, once you are resident, have your provincial coverage or purchased replacement coverage, your husband can apply to have you included as one of his dependents. If you are not married, but living common law, then it depends on the insurance provider and the plan details that they have negotiated with your husband's employer -- some companies may have negotiated a price based on spouses only, while other employers may have negotiated prices based on including common law spouses -- so that part is totally down to your husband's own insurance plan. The only way to get 100% accurate information is to phone the insurance company directly, and he will need his plan number and member number so they can look up the terms and conditions.

HTH

pegasusyt

Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
mashi, it is sunlife indeed! thank you, your info helps a lot. my boyfriend has emailed them about it so hoping to get a reply soon. I'll post it here in case it can be of help to anyone else!

thanks a lot everyone else for their replies, too!

cloudycanada

Oct 2, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Taipei (Spousal)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2009
Doc's Request.
08-01-2010
AOR Received.
15-10-2009
Passport Req..
07-04-2010
My work benefit needs 3 month essentially (or when one has OHIP), for my wife who is waiting for PR still (so no PR, no OHIP yet)

X offers a package called “Welcome” through X which will provide her with coverage similar to OHIP.

An individual can remain on the plan for up to 3 months, which is generally the amount of time it takes to receive a Health card after applying.
Once she has her Health card, she will qualify under the regular Descartes benefits plan.