+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many years is your Travel Document?

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hello, This is an open topic to know about the expiry time on the Travel Document (For both people with No PR and with PR). In the replies, please answer below 2 questions?

1. Are you a PR of Canada?
2. How many years on your Travel Document?

I got my first one before I became PR and that was for only 2 years. I am now applying for a new one after I got PR.

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LoveCanada10 said:
Hello, This is an open topic to know about the expiry time on the Travel Document (For both people with No PR and with PR). In the replies, please answer below 2 questions?

1. Are you a PR of Canada?
2. How many years on your Travel Document?

I got my first one before I became PR and that was for only 2 years. I am now applying for a new one after I got PR.
I am a citizen now but I was PR before

my travel was valid for five years when I was PR

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Thanks both. I want to see as many replies as possible so we can all make a conclusion about these.

Seems it is 2 years without PR but 5 years with PR.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Vnmgirl said:
1. No. I still haven't got my PR after 10 years.
2. 2 years

Can I add number 3?

They refused to renew my TD recently. They said the guarantor is not good. I used the same guarantor last 2 times for my TD. I'm struggling to find another guarantor. Doctors or pharmacists wouldn't wanna be friends with a refugee like me :(
Hi. Why no PR after 10 years? When did you apply and what happened? Mine took 5 years but I finally got it (Applied Feb 2011 - PR May 2016).

That sucks. Sorry to hear. What's your guarantor's job? Now you are making me worried.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
I am sorry about that but criminal charges are considered serious issue in Canada. They will slow it down but you will eventually get it.

So, what's wrong with an Engineer? Is s/he a P.Eng registered in the association of professional engineers? Maybe not so they refused.

And you can always pay and get someone sign it for you. It is actually listed under CIC website for those who can't find someone to sign for them.

And please. You made it here. Keep doing what you are doing. I am sure better than back home. U didn't come here to harm yourself. If you want to do that, just go back. At least as you said you have family and friends there.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
If you are sure the engineer is still registered and working in the profession then call them. Also they might have called her but she didn't answer the phone. I am just giessing here.

Better to call and ask. Also there is a web form you can use. Send one from passport web site and another from CIC web site. Nobody knows who is really responsible for travel documents. I called passport Canada but they said it is immigration. Then I called immigration and was told it is passport Canada. Loop!

Just call. Worst case find a notary to do it for you. Don't you have a family doctor or dentist? The doctor doesn't need to be your friend. They are usually helpful and sign it easily. Try!

Yes I have been here for 7 years now and couldn't go back. During this time, my 17 years old brother was killed. My uncle died. My grandmother died. And I am just here!

Life sucks.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Vnmgirl said:
They never called her. She's my friend. She is registered and still working full time at the same company for many years.

Anyway I talked to my lawyer. He's gonna do it for me.

I just don't understand why it has to be so difficult to renew the document. All the money I make go to lawyers.
That sucks. Hopefully it gets sorted out. I applied 2 days ago and now I am so worried!! I already booked vacation so hopefully they don't give me hard time. BTW, did you apply in person or mailed it?

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
I think you are mailing to the wrong location. Travel documents can only be mailed to Gatineau in Quebec unless I am missing something.

One other thing. Is your engineer friend still have a valid Canadian passport? Maybe it's expired. But they can refuse for no reason I suppose.

Thanks. Same 2 u too.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Vnmgirl said:
It's is the right place. I live in B.C. So I have to use Alberta office.

Ya my friend is still a valid engineer.
Are you sure?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/travel-documents/apply-how.asp

If you are applying by mail:

Use a certified courier or traceable mail service to reduce the delivery time of your application and help protect your documents.

Government of Canada
Certificate of Identity Section
Passport Program
Gatineau, QC K1A 1L2
Canada

If using a courier:

Passport office (Certificate of Identity Section)
Place du Centre, Commercial Level 2
200 Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, QC J8X 4B7
Canada

Apply in person at:

Passport office (Certificate of Identity Section)
Place du Centre, Commercial Level 2
200 Promenade du Portage
Gatineau, QC J8X 4B7

There is nothing about any other office and actually it specifically says only in Gatineau, Quebec. Where do you see that you should send to AB? Can you share the URL? I can't find that anywhere on CIC or Passport Canada web site.

Even when I was in Atlantic Canada, I sent mine to Gatineau, QC.

Also, I meant does your friend have a VALID PASSPORT or instead of wasting time on lawyer just submit an online inquiry and ask them to provide you the reason on rejecting her.

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
Good luck to you.

I applied for my 2nd travel document in person 3 weeks ago and I was supposed to get a call to pick up today. Instead of that call, I received a letter asking me to provide proof that I don't have my National passport. Stupid agents didn't even check anything before asking this question. They have my passport themselves. I gave my passport when I applied for my first travel document. There is no phone number to contact any officer other than the toll-free number which I called twice today but they say they can't help.
I used the web form to submit my clarification but I don't have hopes on that. I might just drive hours to get to Ottawa and see what this stupid employees think. They have 0 idea what they are doing!! They could easily just check my file to see that they have my national passport.

I have vacation booked for family next week but still no travel document. Maybe I should have just asked for my original passport without bothering with this stupid situation!!

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
So what did your lawyer do? Nothing? He is your lawyer. He can sign it for you! Why don't you do that?
Hope it works out for you. I was stupid and bought flight tickets / hotels before having the Travel Document.
Let's see how it goes.
Wish you all the best.

belch

May 9, 2017
He did sign it for me and sealed all the copies of his supported documentsl. It's been only like a week since I mailed it out the 4th time.

I'm wondering if they don't like us because we travel quite a bit. Even when I went through customs at the airport, CBSA was very mean to me. They asked me why I got many visas with a RTD like they're fake. They probably don't even know many countries accept Canada RTD.

I feel like they expect refegees to be poor with lowest pay job and refugees shouldn't have the freedom to travel like normal people with passports. They don't know many of us are educated from our own countries.

I noticed in other topic that you travelled around.

Also just so you know we don't need visa for Belize with RTD and no PR. You can fly there from Cancun.

Thailand also issues visa for RTD with no PR. The process is easy. I got the visa but never went. We need transit visa though if there is no direct flight.
How to get thailand visa on your RTD? Was it hard? Do you know any other asian countries that accept RTD? Please help me out.

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
He did sign it for me and sealed all the copies of his supported documentsl. It's been only like a week since I mailed it out the 4th time.

I'm wondering if they don't like us because we travel quite a bit. Even when I went through customs at the airport, CBSA was very mean to me. They asked me why I got many visas with a RTD like they're fake. They probably don't even know many countries accept Canada RTD.

I feel like they expect refegees to be poor with lowest pay job and refugees shouldn't have the freedom to travel like normal people with passports. They don't know many of us are educated from our own countries.

I noticed in other topic that you travelled around.

Also just so you know we don't need visa for Belize with RTD and no PR. You can fly there from Cancun.

Thailand also issues visa for RTD with no PR. The process is easy. I got the visa but never went. We need transit visa though if there is no direct flight.

the reason they look down there noses on you guys because regular people with pr cards or Canadian passport came here the right and legal way and also they have your information plus if you have a criminal record back home they have that in the cbsa system cause they all share info. when people have records from back home ircc and cic do not think your an ideal candidate for permanent residence in Canada