+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many days in advance can I apply for a work permit renewal?

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hi All,

I'm a convention refugee, my WP will expire in Dec 2019.. How many days/months in advance can I apply to renew my WP? I've read so many threads, some of them say 3 months.. as of today, according to the official Web Page, the waiting time is 95 days (kind of inconsistent, it says they're processing applications received in April 20th, that make it a 115 days wait)..

Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Sof_Tay

Nov 29, 2018
Hi All,

I'm a convention refugee, my WP will expire in Dec 2019.. How many days/months in advance can I apply to renew my WP? I've read so many threads, some of them say 3 months.. as of today, according to the official Web Page, the waiting time is 95 days (kind of inconsistent, it says they're processing applications received in April 20th, that make it a 115 days wait)..

Any info would be greatly appreciated..
Hi!

Did you submit your application online? I could use some help trying to create mine. How did you answer the Questionnaire? I’m currently processing my PR and have passed my medical examination, but that’s it.

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hi!

Did you submit your application online? I could use some help trying to create mine. How did you answer the Questionnaire? I’m currently processing my PR and have passed my medical examination, but that’s it.
Yes, I applied online a few days after I posted my question.. I've found question #3 of the IMM5710 form the tricky one.. I checked option 1 - "Apply for a work permit with the same employer" as it was the one that makes more sense to my situation.. Then, in question # 1 of "Details of Intended work in Canada" I choose "Open Work permit" and left the rest blank...

Sof_Tay

Nov 29, 2018
Yes, I applied online a few days after I posted my question.. I've found question #3 of the IMM5710 form the tricky one.. I checked option 1 - "Apply for a work permit with the same employer" as it was the one that makes more sense to my situation.. Then, in question # 1 of "Details of Intended work in Canada" I choose "Open Work permit" and left the rest blank...
That’s very helpful! Thank you.

How did you answer the Questionnaire (prior to any forms) to be able to submit your application online? Mine only lets me apply for a Temporary Resident Visa which is not my case. I tried using the Temporarily- More than 6 months and then it asks if I got first stage approval in my PR application. How do I know if I got first stage approval? I answered no because I’m not sure. And that’s when the system makes me apply for a TRV instead.

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Ok.. Below my Answers:

What would you like to do in Canada?
Work

How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - more than 6 months

Select the code that matches the one on your passport.
YOUR COUNTRY

What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
Canada

Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
No

What is your date of birth?
YOUR DOB

Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) number?
No

What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Refugee Claimant

Which of the following situations applies to your refugee claim?
I have been found to be a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person.

What is your marital status?
YOUR STATUS

What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
YOUR PROVINCE

Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
No

Which type of travel document did you use or will you use to enter Canada?
Passport

Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with, or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?
No

Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
No (I answered NO because mine was performed more than 12 months ago)

Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year?
No

Do you want to work in one of the following jobs?

health sciences worker
clinical laboratory worker
patient attendant in nursing or geriatric homes
medical student admitted to Canada to attend university
medical elective and physician on short term assignment
teacher of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
domestics worker, someone who gives in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery worker
No

Do you want to submit an application for a family member?
No

Are you giving someone access to your application?
No

Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?
Yes

Sof_Tay

Nov 29, 2018
Ok.. Below my Answers:

What would you like to do in Canada?
Work

How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - more than 6 months

Select the code that matches the one on your passport.
YOUR COUNTRY

What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
Canada

Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
No

What is your date of birth?
YOUR DOB

Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) number?
No

What is your current immigration status in Canada?
Refugee Claimant

Which of the following situations applies to your refugee claim?
I have been found to be a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person.

What is your marital status?
YOUR STATUS

What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
YOUR PROVINCE

Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
No

Which type of travel document did you use or will you use to enter Canada?
Passport

Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with, or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?
No

Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
No (I answered NO because mine was performed more than 12 months ago)

Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year?
No

Do you want to work in one of the following jobs?

health sciences worker
clinical laboratory worker
patient attendant in nursing or geriatric homes
medical student admitted to Canada to attend university
medical elective and physician on short term assignment
teacher of primary or secondary schools or other teachers of small children
domestics worker, someone who gives in-home care to children, the elderly and the disabled
day nursery worker
No

Do you want to submit an application for a family member?
No

Are you giving someone access to your application?
No

Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?
Yes
Thank you SO much! All this time I was selecting “Worker” instead of Refugee Claimant cause I thought ai wasn’t a Claimant anymore and it was giving me the wrong options! I just submitted my application.. Now, the waittt!

Thanks!!!

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
Thank you SO much! All this time I was selecting “Worker” instead of Refugee Claimant cause I thought ai wasn’t a Claimant anymore and it was giving me the wrong options! I just submitted my application.. Now, the waittt!

Thanks!!!
Glad to help... I've checked my application and it is still in process.. It was submitted on Aug-16th Almost 2 months ago..