+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How many cigarettes on the first landing?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sttn said:
There are enough tobacco and liquor stores in Canada! Why people bother so much about these on their first entry?
Because of the prices charge in Canada.

FWIW cross border grocery shopping is a fairly common practice for those who are not too far from the Canada/US border.

General numbers... comparing Ontario and New york state.
Gasoline is about 50 cents a litre cheaper in the USA.
On a $400 grocery shop (in Canada), the USA can offer $150 of savings, so the bill would be $250 for the same amount of groceries..

Before anyone jumps into cross border shopping, investigate the process and understand the rules.
Getting it wrong can be very costly. Smuggling and getting caught would not be a pleasant experience.

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
My question is, people wait for years and years to get their PR to make Canada as their second home. And once they have it on hand they concern so much about ways of getting extra cigarettes on their first entry or saving money on grocery.. Every one gets here must know the rules and regulations of CBSA and then the tax system. If some one couldn't comply with these and it's too hard for them to survive in Canada isn't that a bad decision for them to come to Canada is it??

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sttn said:
My question is, people wait for years and years to get their PR to make Canada as their second home. And once they have it on hand they concern so much about ways of getting extra cigarettes on their first entry or saving money on grocery..

I agree, you can get nearly everything in Canada, why bother, there are more important things to bring.

Every one gets here must know the rules and regulations of CBSA and then the tax system.

Far from it, most have no idea.

If some one couldn't comply with these and it's too hard for them to survive in Canada isn't that a bad decision for them to come to Canada is it??

I think that if someone cannot get on to an aircraft and understand how to fasten / release a seat belt they should not be allowed to fly - are you saying the same thing?
:)

bundoo

Star Member
Jan 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:

FWIW cross border grocery shopping is a fairly common practice for those who are not too far from the Canada/US border.

On a $400 grocery shop (in Canada), the USA can offer $150 of savings, so the bill would be $250 for the same amount of groceries..

Before anyone jumps into cross border shopping, investigate the process and understand the rules.
Getting it wrong can be very costly. Smuggling and getting caught would not be a pleasant experience.
Why dont you plan to move USA?

bundoo

Star Member
Jan 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You must have to follow the concept of sttn,he didnt mean what you got

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bundoo said:
Why dont you plan to move USA?
Because I choose to live in a better place, Canada.

You might need to re-read my post.
I was reporting the activity and suggesting care be exercised, not suggesting that people should do it, or that I did.
Earlier I gave details about cigarettes, but guess what, I don't smoke, never have.

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
bundoo said:
You must have to follow the concept of sttn,he didnt mean what you got
Thanks..

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sttn said:
There are enough tobacco and liquor stores in Canada! Why people bother so much about these on their first entry?
Benson & Hedges, 1 x pack | Dubai=$1.20 | Canada=$12.80
Nearly for the price of 1 x stick in Canada, I get a full pack in Dubai. That's why.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Baloo said:

Well said, Baloo.

sttn

Dec 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
qorax said:
Nearly for the price of 1 x stick in Canada, I get a full pack in Dubai. That's why.
Then why are you here?? Your life must be very expensive and un affordable to you..

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sttn said:
Then why are you here?? Your life must be very expensive and un affordable to you..
Yep, u r right. But,
1. I can afford it. Period.
2. It is tough to many - however here we r talking abt perspectives;
3. Small things / savings here-n-there do matter... to most;
4. There r many more reasons to stay-put... if u read me earlier u'd know;
5. I'm aware that cigs & hair-cut r the two things even Donald Trump was worried about!

*It is getting engaging, now I've marked this thread as 'Notify me of Replies'... What say Baloo?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
*It is getting engaging, now I've marked this thread as 'Notify me of Replies'... What say Baloo?
That is funny, I just marked this for "notify me" as well :)

Honestly, if immigrants arrive in Canada and do not pay attention to the "pennies", they will soon be out of dollars, and then eventually out of the country, or in a place they did not plan for.

ana_ana

Star Member
Jun 9, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-2010
AOR Received.
2nd 07-2010
IELTS Request
07-10-2010
File Transfer...
in process 31-01-2011
Med's Request
24-05-2011
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
qorax said:
Thanks Qorax!
I see a lot of people have been very busy about my post. I just asked a simple question...I wasnt asking about a truck of cigarettes, just 2 or 3 boxes and wanted to take one bottle of wine as a gift from my home country. I wasnt intending to take any bomb:))) Thanks again, but a lot of your replies were not kind.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ana_ana said:
Thanks Qorax!
I see a lot of people have been very busy about my post. I just asked a simple question...I wasnt asking about a truck of cigarettes, just 2 or 3 boxes and wanted to take one bottle of wine as a gift from my home country. I wasnt intending to take any bomb:))) Thanks again, but a lot of your replies were not kind.
I didn't get that, Sir/Ma'am...