+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long to receive CoPR letter after submitting final documents?

ChadSH

Apr 20, 2017
So I got an 'Ready for Visa / Prêt pour Visa' email today which states:

'The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. You must complete the following steps within 30 days in order for our office to issue your Confirmation of Permanent Residence and, if applicable, permanent residence visa. If for any reason you are not able to meet this deadline, please inform us immediately by email to: CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca with details concerning your situation.'

If goes on to tell me I need to submit copies of my passport, two new photos, a prepaid envelope and Annex A (mailing address). I assume this means I have been approved (hooray for me?).

Does anyone know the turn around time for CIC to send out the CoPR once they've received the above documents?

The problem: I'm nominally a resident of Canada and have been living there for over two years, and am on a visitors visa (valid until the end of the year) while I wait for PR. However I'm currently in the USA for a few months as I needed to work (US citizen) in the interim. I'm also supposed to visit family in Vancouver for a few days in late September before returning to the USA, and then plan to return to Canada in mid/late October.

Can I enter and leave Canada on a Visitors Visa while I wait for CIC to mail out my CoPR?

And, can I have my CoPR mailed to a friend's Canadian address, enter Canada on my visitors visa, collect the CoPR and return to the border to surrender my Visitors visa, briefly enter the USA, re-enter Canada and activate my CoPR?

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Takes few weeks to a month on average. Easiest way is just to update your address with cic and get the copr sent to where you actually are.
Not sure about the visit visa thing. If its still valid when you leave canada then yes. Since you said they asked you for a (copy) of your passport, I am assuming you are from a visa exempt country.

ChadSH

Apr 20, 2017
Takes few weeks to a month on average. Easiest way is just to update your address with cic and get the copr sent to where you actually are.
Not sure about the visit visa thing. If its still valid when you leave canada then yes. Since you said they asked you for a (copy) of your passport, I am assuming you are from a visa exempt country.
Thanks!

'Few weeks to a month' is where I'm stuck. Realistically I might be able to send this off on Sept 4th, and I need to leave on October 1st and will be on the road for ~ 3 weeks before arriving at the border. So assuming they receive my package on the 7th, if they take more than 3 weeks to process and return I'll miss it, and have to have someone pick up the package in the USA and send it up to Canada for me to receive when I arrive.

I really didn't think I'd be processed this quickly so I'm kind of trapped.

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks!

'Few weeks to a month' is where I'm stuck. Realistically I might be able to send this off on Sept 4th, and I need to leave on October 1st and will be on the road for ~ 3 weeks before arriving at the border. So assuming they receive my package on the 7th, if they take more than 3 weeks to process and return I'll miss it, and have to have someone pick up the package in the USA and send it up to Canada for me to receive when I arrive.

I really didn't think I'd be processed this quickly so I'm kind of trapped.
You are not trapped. They are only taking a copy of the passport, so you can still move. Realistically no one knows how long will it exactly take. Make your estimations and update your address based on that, if it doesnt arrive in time, you can go back and forth to collect it and do your landing. As long as you have a status/nationality that allows you to move back and forth between US and canada.

ChadSH

Apr 20, 2017
Well, not literally trapped, just stuck in that I don't know where to have the letter sent.

I can't go back and forth to pick it up if I have it sent to the states, as after Oct 1st I'll be on the road and won't have anywhere to pick up mail until I arrive in Canada. Even though 'A few weeks to a month' is cutting it very tight, I think what you suggest is the way to go.

As long as I can move in and out of Canada with my Visitor's, and switch to PR at a later date I should be fine.

Thank you for the advice.

pharma777

Feb 6, 2019
Well, not literally trapped, just stuck in that I don't know where to have the letter sent.

I can't go back and forth to pick it up if I have it sent to the states, as after Oct 1st I'll be on the road and won't have anywhere to pick up mail until I arrive in Canada. Even though 'A few weeks to a month' is cutting it very tight, I think what you suggest is the way to go.

As long as I can move in and out of Canada with my Visitor's, and switch to PR at a later date I should be fine.

Thank you for the advice.
Hi ChadSH,

I wonder did you change your mailing address with CIC at the end? Were you able to travel in and out of Canada while waiting for COPR?
I am in a similar situation and am hoping to see what you have done. Thank you in advance!