+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long is the FBI background check valid for?

Zoide

Star Member
Sep 15, 2014
Costa Rica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Does the FBI background check report expire? How long is it valid for?

I lived in the United States from 2002 to 2007. I got my FBI background check letter in the mail last year since I wanted to have everything ready by the time I got an ITA.

I assume that the letter won't expire, since I have not lived in the US for nearly 10 years now, so there would be no way for me to have committed a crime there recently... :)

Thanks

mukulabd

Oct 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right but there is a bit of discrepancy about the validity of PCC as IRCC has also stated "Police certificates are typically valid for one year from the date they are issued.". I believe your PCC should be fine but you might want to double check on this as 10 years is a long time span.

moderator1983

Apr 9, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
1215/2146
App. Filed.......
11.Jun.2016
Nomination.....
16.Nov.2016 ITA
AOR Received.
07.Dec.2016
File Transfer...
Early Jan.2017
Med's Done....
14.Dec.2016
Interview........
25.Apr.2017 Background Check in Progress
Passport Req..
04.May.2017
VISA ISSUED...
15.MAY.2017
LANDED..........
09.AUG.2017
mukulabd said:
You are right but there is a bit of discrepancy about the validity of PCC as IRCC has also stated "Police certificates are typically valid for one year from the date they are issued.". I believe your PCC should be fine but you might want to double check on this as 10 years is a long time span.
PCC from a country, where you're not currently residing, is valid forever unless you visit the PCC issuing country again.
And regarding the discrepancy about 1 year validity, this condition is applicable if you're currently residing in the PCC issuing country.

mukulabd

Oct 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moderator1983 said:
PCC from a country, where you're not currently residing, is valid forever unless you visit the PCC issuing country again.
And regarding the discrepancy about 1 year validity, this condition is applicable if you're currently residing in the PCC issuing country.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp#police_certificates

IRCC has made that statement in general without specifying currently residing or past lived country. So it is ambiguous. And for countries currently residing in, they have specified that the validity is 6 months. So eg. PCC obtained in May 2016 is not valid now.