+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HOW LONG IS A PR VISA VALID FOR !!!!!!!!

Big Daddy

Nov 8, 2007
Hi my wifes application has been in process for 10 months and she is expecting our second child in December, I would really like us all to travel together to Canada as we reside in Greece at present, my son already has his canadian citizenship. The problem being that her medical is due to run out in October and she will not be able to have another until after the baby is born. I have been in contact with the visa office that is dealing with our application and they told me to wait. I don't want everything to be last minute in leaving as I do have things to sort out and also tennants to give notice to. I am just wondering if they should wishful thinking ask for my wifes passport how long do we have to travel to Canada?????

Thanks in Advance.

yppgina

Jun 24, 2008
Medical is good for one year by itself, but CIC can extend it for another year, so hopefully that is the case for you. To determine whether or not they have extended it, I would call the CIC and ask them when your medical expires. As for how much longer I can't say for certain..... Have you requested your CAIPS to see if there is a hold up for any reason, missing info etc....? This is also a good question to ask if you call the call center..... though it could just be processing time.

As well, something to take into consideration is medical in Canada as it will likely (depending on which province you move to) require you live here for a certain amount of time before she will qualify for medical coverage. If this is the case you could be stuck with a huge bill for the baby's delivery......

For example..... baby is due in Dec.

PR Rec'd October
Finish tying up loose ends until the end of October
Land in Vancouver BC Beginning November
Apply for MSP coverage
Baby is born in December
Medical coverage starts beginning February.....

This however, from my understanding is not necessarily the case with all provinces.... Alberta for example does not have a certain time frame of residency to qualify for medical.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alberta and Saskatchewan will cover you right away if you are moving from another country but 1st day of 3rd month if you are moving from another province. I don't know about the other provinces. I think Ontario will make you wait 3 months.

Big Daddy

Nov 8, 2007
Thank you for all your help, maybe I should send another email to the visa office and express my concerns I thought it was a simply application as my wife is british been together 7 years married for 5 years and have a son who is canadian, all our family are desperate to know what is happening it says on web 80 percent completed in 9 months, even on trackitt nobody seems to have had a visa from that office they are all over 9 months and still waiting !!!

yppgina

Jun 24, 2008
I'm not sure if it's anything like with inland; however I'm wondering if maybe they hadn't included the processing of the application at CPC-M first? That could be part of it.

As well, with regards to background checks, they can be wayleighed if someone has been in the military, someone has a common name and therefore a more indepth search is required to ensure that anyone that has a crim record with a similar name isn't the one applying....

They are all processed on a case by case scenario. That being said, it doesn't change how frustrating it can be. You can have your spouse contact their MP in Canada to inquire as to why it's taking so long. Sometimes they can apply pressure that way.