+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to process a work permit with open LMO in AB?

Discussion in 'Foreign Workers' started by wtfrutalkingabout, Nov 23, 2012.

  1. Hi,
    My employer has an open LMO for 2 years with no name in Alberta.
    I was wondering how long it takes on average to process the work permit(from within Canada) when he already has an open LMO.

  2. Hi,

    Your employer would first need to contact Service Canada with a request to put your name on the LMO which is nowadays is taking anything between 2-3 weeks.

    As for current work permit processing times you may refer to the link below (current processing time is 68 days for paper application & 70 days for online application):


    What is your current status in Canada- visit/student/worker?

    Hope this helps.
  3. hi astasi ! any idea if it's possible to receive the WP at the earlier date? I'm waiting for the approval of my skilled LMO from my new employer and I think it would take 2-3 weeks. I just wonder if CIC can release the WP at the earlier date, i know they kept on updating the application processing times in alberta

    thanks :)
  4. Hi,

    Another option is to "FLAGPOLE" to the US border for a WP at POE of entry.

    Read on through these threads and see the experiences and the requirements:


    Unfortunately the processing time for WP applications at Vegreville has been increasing from 52 days in September to 70 days according to the latest update on the website. With holiday season around the corner I think further delays in processing should be expected :(.
  5. delays ... that doesn't sound good :(

    anyway thanks for your response.
  6. i read the thread about this " flagpole" thing, it was just like you're trying to exit Canada and apply for WP at POE but in my case I'm not from a visa-exempt country and my TRV is already expired. I want to apply at the POE but I don't want to take the risk :( some say sometimes it depends on the officer whether they're going to grant your application or not.
  7. If you're a visitor with an expired TRV, I don't think you would be able to apply inside Canada for the work permit. You would need to apply at your home Visa Office or Port of Entry (USA border). That is, unless you fit into one of these other situations as listed.


    You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:
    •you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit;
    •you are a postgraduate from a program at a Canadian university, community college, CÉGEP or publicly funded trade/technical school (or other eligible school or institution);
    •you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more; and
    •you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.

    It doesn't matter if you apply at the border or a Visa Office, it will be someone's decision to grant or deny your work permit. However, you're out of status - unless you've applied for an extension of your Visa before the old one expired. Because of this, you are considered a high risk to overstay - because you already have. I wouldn't be surprised if you're denied a work permit. (If you have an extension of your visitor status pending, then you can ignore this part.)

    Maintain legal status is very important.
  8. hi amikety!

    I'm a TFW with valid work permit but my TRV is already expired but waiting for the new WP from the new employer. I want to apply at the POE but i don't want to take the risk to renew my TRV at the same time.I'm not pretty sure if this is possible but others said they did it but chances are you may or may not be granted.
  9. If you're unwilling or unable to go to the border, then you will have to apply Inside Canada and wait for the Work Permit. This doesn't change the fact that a person will review your application no matter where you apply. You could be rejected in either option. Here is what CIC says about the visitor visa:

    Applying for a new visitor visa (to re-enter Canada)

    If you are currently a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, a valid study or work permit) and want to apply for a new temporary resident (visitor) visa to return to Canada before you leave, you may be eligible if:
    •your are a legally admitted temporary resident (student or temporary foreign worker only) in Canada with a Canadian residential address;
    •your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing counterfoil is expired and/or was valid for only one entry; and
    •you require a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada in the near future.

    (It's from the same page.)

    You will need to make the choice if you want to go to the border or wait for the Inside Canada application.
  10. Hi,

    One can apply for the renewal of the TRV if the WP is valid and has not expired. If your current WP is valid and not expiring soon you can apply for TRV at CPP-Ottawa, provided your present employer is willing to provide you with the letter required for TRV application. With current processing time of 14 days plus postal transit time you would receive your TRV roughly at about same time your LMO is approved.

    I suggest you apply for the TRV and then flagpole to the US border for your WP if you don't want to risk the trip to US border without a valid TRV.

    Best of luck to you.
  11. i thought about that while reading this thread.


  12. Hi,

    Here is a thread from a member who flagpoled to US border for a new WP with a valid WP but an expired TRV:

  13. Hi All

    I have a approved post grad work permit and my employer applied for my LMO and it is approved now.
    I was wondering how much time does it take to process the work permit with an approved LMO?

    Waiting for your comments guyss...

Share This Page