+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to learn french B2 level?

yashp2397

Dec 8, 2023
I have 1.5 years left on my work permit and only have a score of 430. To improve my score significantly and increase the chances of PR, I wanted to know if CLB 7 can be achieved in TEF within this time period. Does someone have personal experience with this or know someone who took this path?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have 1.5 years left on my work permit and only have a score of 430. To improve my score significantly and increase the chances of PR, I wanted to know if CLB 7 can be achieved in TEF within this time period. Does someone have personal experience with this or know someone who took this path?
One of the big factors is how well you learn languages. Most adults know if they are good at learning new languages or not. Some people are able to learn languages easier than others like some can do art while others can do math much better than others. The ability to pay for one on one or small group teaching sessions and how much time they have to dedicate to learning French will impact the ability to learn. If you live in an area where you can surround yourself with people who only speak French that will help you learn faster. For example if you are able to spend one weekend every month living in French, surrounding yourself with French speakers, doing all your errands in French or doing similar types of things will help you learn French much faster. Not everyone has that luxury of time and money to dedicate to learning French. So yes it is possible to improve your French scores significantly in 1-1.5 years for some people depending on the time and energy they have to dedicate to learning. Won’t be easy and will be much more difficult for people who have always struggled with learning languages. It is one of the easiest pathways to secure PR these days so it is something that people should try. People can reassess after a few months and see whether they have made enough progress to continue. No matter what learning French will be beneficial.

santosh.dh

Star Member
May 18, 2023
For me it was 1.5 years to reach B2 level. You'd also need some specific TCF, TEF training on top of your 1.5 years to pass the exam. Do remember you have to pass every part of your French exam with CLB 7.

WarChild

Dec 2, 2023
In my case it took 12 months to reach B2 level, although you really need to be dedicated to learning. After that it takes a few months of exam preparation. Good luck!