+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to get a permanent residency travel document( PRTD)

Minky.J

Jun 22, 2017
Hi, guys.

I just recieved a letter from IRCC that my app for PR has been approved and I can just go to IRCC office near me for a landing appointment.

The thing is, my husband and I made a plan for a trip to the States while ago and it’s next month.

If I go for an appointment this month, my PR card won’t arrive before my trip(according to the processing time on cic.ca), which means I’ll have to apply for PRTD.

I was wondering how long it will take to get the PRTD. Will a request for “Urgent Processing” apply for this? If so, how faster will it take?

Or should I wait to have the landing appointment after I come back from the trip?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much in advance for your time.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Make the appointment for after you trip, or alternately do the landing when you return from your trip to the US at the airport.

Reactions: Minky.J

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi, guys.

I just recieved a letter from IRCC that my app for PR has been approved and I can just go to IRCC office near me for a landing appointment.

The thing is, my husband and I made a plan for a trip to the States while ago and it’s next month.

If I go for an appointment this month, my PR card won’t arrive before my trip(according to the processing time on cic.ca), which means I’ll have to apply for PRTD.

I was wondering how long it will take to get the PRTD. Will a request for “Urgent Processing” apply for this? If so, how faster will it take?

Or should I wait to have the landing appointment after I come back from the trip?

You need to clarify first:
- What passport do you hold?
- Are you driving or flying to the US?
- Did you apply for PR inland or outland?

Minky.J

Jun 22, 2017
You need to clarify first:
- What passport do you hold?
- Are you driving or flying to the US?
- Did you apply for PR inland or outland?
- I hold South Korean passport.
- We are flying to the US.
- I applied for PR inland.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, guys.

Urgent processing is probably a non-starter.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/urgent.html
Urgent processing of a permanent resident card
To qualify for urgent permanent resident (PR) card processing, you must be travelling within the next three months due to:

• a job opportunity
  • your own serious illness
  • the death of a family member
  • work related to your current job
  • the serious illness of a family member
Even if you qualify, we can’t guarantee we’ll process your application urgently or that you’ll get your PR card on time. See the current processing times for PR cards.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
- I hold South Korean passport.
- We are flying to the US.
- I applied for PR inland.
In that case, you can't do PR landing at an airport since you don't have a COPR. You must do at a local IRCC office.

There is no way to expedite or request urgent processing of an initial PR card. Can only do this for later PR card renewals, and only for very specific travel reasons with proof. So you will for sure not have PR card in time for travel.

Your options are:
- Delay your PR landing until after you return to Canada. So you will travel to US and return to Canada as visa-exempt S.Korean passport holder, with just eTA.
- Land as a PR, and while in US apply for a PR Travel Document from either LA or NY VAC office in US. You will need to mail your passport + PR Travel Doc application, and no guarantee when it will be processed. I would budget at least a couple weeks for this
- Land as a PR, but arrange to travel back to Canada via USA land border. For this just your COPR (that you'll get when you do landing interview) will be suitable to gain entry from CBSA at land border

Once you do landing interview as a PR, any eTA you had linked to your passport should be cancelled by IRCC which is why you need the PR Travel Doc to return to Canada by plane if you don't have PR card. There is a small chance the cancellation of eTA may not have happened and could board your flight successfully even as a PR, however this would be a big risk to take and could find yourself denied boarding when the time comes.

Reactions: Minky.J

Minky.J

Jun 22, 2017
Urgent processing is probably a non-starter.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/apply-renew-replace/urgent.html
Urgent processing of a permanent resident card
To qualify for urgent permanent resident (PR) card processing, you must be travelling within the next three months due to:

• a job opportunity
  • your own serious illness
  • the death of a family member
  • work related to your current job
  • the serious illness of a family member
Even if you qualify, we can’t guarantee we’ll process your application urgently or that you’ll get your PR card on time. See the current processing times for PR cards.
Thank you so much for the information!

Minky.J

Jun 22, 2017
In that case, you can't do PR landing at an airport since you don't have a COPR. You must do at a local IRCC office.

There is no way to expedite or request urgent processing of an initial PR card. Can only do this for later PR card renewals, and only for very specific travel reasons with proof. So you will for sure not have PR card in time for travel.

Your options are:
- Delay your PR landing until after you return to Canada. So you will travel to US and return to Canada as visa-exempt S.Korean passport holder, with just eTA.
- Land as a PR, and while in US apply for a PR Travel Document from either LA or NY VAC office in US. You will need to mail your passport + PR Travel Doc application, and no guarantee when it will be processed. I would budget at least a couple weeks for this
- Land as a PR, but arrange to travel back to Canada via USA land border. For this just your COPR (that you'll get when you do landing interview) will be suitable to gain entry from CBSA at land border

Once you do landing interview as a PR, any eTA you had linked to your passport should be cancelled by IRCC which is why you need the PR Travel Doc to return to Canada by plane if you don't have PR card. There is a small chance the cancellation of eTA may not have happened and could board your flight successfully even as a PR, however this would be a big risk to take and could find yourself denied boarding when the time comes.
Oh wow! Thank you so much for your advice! This really clarifies my concern and helps me tremendously!

zeyad albarg

Aug 7, 2018
i had sent my passport to print PRTD do any body can tell me for how long that need to get my passport back from the empssy fron vienna

MisterP

Mar 14, 2019

Your options are:

Is record of past 5 years of Canadian TAX return enough proof to show for Residency Obligations? They ask for past boarding passes (which we dont have all), past past passport pages stamped (which Canada does not stamp much). we provided solid proof of travel bookings itenery receipts for the travel times we do not have boarding passes. We provided 2 job letters (1 explaining 5 years part time and the other full time 2018) . Its been nearly 4 weeks since Canadiam Embassy in Trinidad requested this additional information.. What to expect from this delay?