+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long canadian citizen can stay out of country

grpadman

Nov 7, 2009
I am a canadian citizen and also I have overseas citizen of India . I am staying in india last 2 years not able to return to canada due to some personnal problem and health condition. How long can i stay in india , can I lose canadian citizen if i stay 2 more years in india.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

grpadman said:
I am a canadian citizen and also I have overseas citizen of India . I am staying in india last 2 years not able to return to canada due to some personnal problem and health condition. How long can i stay in india , can I lose canadian citizen if i stay 2 more years in india.
If you are a citizen, you can stay out forever if you wish.

PMM

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
PMM, that's true if the citizen was born in Canada. Is it also true for a naturalized citizen?

Ned

Nov 10, 2009
toby said:
PMM, that's true if the citizen was born in Canada. Is it also true for a naturalized citizen?
There's no difference in this scenario. A Canadian citizen is a Canadian citizen.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Not entirely true, Ned. A born Canadain likes hockey from birth, while a naturalized Canadian usually has to learn to like it -- like getting your palate used to bad wine.

c0mputer

Star Member
Jan 5, 2014
Cornwall,ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not entirely true, Ned. A born Canadain likes hockey from birth, while a naturalized Canadian usually has to learn to like it -- like getting your palate used to bad wine.

are you saying hockey is "A bad wine" !!! ---die hard SENS fan who is not a born canadain either ...lol!

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A Canadian citizen (born or naturalized) can stay outside as long as he/she wants. All is needed to keep in touch with the Canadian Embassy/High Commission. They have a 1 page form where you just fill that form to register for any emergency contact issues. Also new passport can be obtained in every 5 years.

jujuberanch

Mar 26, 2013
every 5 or 10 years.

rayman_m said:
A Canadian citizen (born or naturalized) can stay outside as long as you want. All you need to keep in touch with the Canadian Embassy/High Commission. They have a 1 page form where you just put your all information and register with them for any emergency contact issues. Also get the new passport in every 5 years.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there are travel limitations related to EI and medical plans in some provinces. but nothing to block someone from staying out.

IBMER

Dec 14, 2009
The point is simple:
A Canadian citizen - born / naturalized / born to Canadian parents outside Canada - will NOT lose Canadian citizenship because s/he is out of Canada, irrespective of the duration of stay outside Canada.
It's advisable to keep the Canadian passport travel ready and valid in order to facilitate travelling easily. All that means is that if your passport is to expire within the next 6 months or so you may want to apply for a renewal.
Keep the Canadian Embassy / Consulate contacts handy.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
grpadman,

So are you currently in India with an Indian visa on your Canadian passport or with an OCI card / passport ?

If a visa, it must be multiple entry and valid for how long ? Thx

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
grpadman,

So are you currently in India with an Indian visa on your Canadian passport or with an OCI card / passport ?

If a visa, it must be multiple entry and valid for how long ? Thx
he mentions in the post that he is overseas citizen of india