+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can I stay outside Canada?

Jun 27, 2017
hello there!

On April 2014, my mother sponsored me but I was only holding a visitor's visa. She applied me as PR right away and I just got it last year June 2016, so last December 2016 I visited Philippines for 2 1/2 months only and I am planning to visit there again for at least 4 months. I wonder if they could still let me enter Canada after that 4 months vacation and if the immigration will ask me why I was away for that long.

Hope somebody could answer my question. Thank you in advanced!

Janeton

Sep 20, 2017
Hi,I will be 2 year permanent resident next year January 2018 and I'm planning going back home this coming December,can I stay outside Canada for more than 6 months?and my baby was Canada born,how long she can stay outside Canada?thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,I will be 2 year permanent resident next year January 2018 and I'm planning going back home this coming December,can I stay outside Canada for more than 6 months?and my baby was Canada born,how long she can stay outside Canada?thanks
1. You have to reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period. If you haven't left Canada since you "landed" you could stay outside Canada for nearly 3 years, but then would have to return and live in Canada for 2 years without leaving.
2. The child as a citizen, could remain outside Canada forever. Note you can't claim the CCTB while residing outside Canada.

bgvillones

Mar 1, 2018
Hi so I am a PR in Canada we've landed here with my wife and kids April 2014 and stayed since then. My question is if I'm planning to go back to my country me alone how long can I stay without having my PR revoked? Does it matter if you live in Brandon, MB or is it all the same ruling for all the province and cities here in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi so I am a PR in Canada we've landed here with my wife and kids April 2014 and stayed since then. My question is if I'm planning to go back to my country me alone how long can I stay without having my PR revoked? Does it matter if you live in Brandon, MB or is it all the same ruling for all the province and cities here in Canada?
It's the same everywhere. You must meet the residency obligation to ensure you can keep your PR status. This means living in Canada for two out of every five rolling years.

Reactions: bgvillones

bgvillones

Mar 1, 2018
It's the same everywhere. You must meet the residency obligation to ensure you can keep your PR status. This means living in Canada for two out of every five rolling years.
Ok noted so I'm pretty much ok to stay outside of Canada for 3 yrs and then go back for to Canada for 2 yrs and then I can do that forever or is there a limit on doing it?