+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long after citizenship do we receive voter card? Just before election?

Flocan

Apr 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone know how long after oath/citizenship we receive the voter card ? Or is it just before election?
Checked on Election Canada and seems I am registered but didn't receive any info or card
Weird because I read some threads where some people said they received voter card before even being citizens
I know that next federal election will be held in October...

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If u r registered in the system. U should receive it around a month before. However, if u don't receive it, u can always register on the same day at the voting location and vote as long as u have the IDs required

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
Flocan said:
Does anyone know how long after oath/citizenship we receive the voter card ? Or is it just before election?
Checked on Election Canada and seems I am registered but didn't receive any info or card
Weird because I read some threads where some people said they received voter card before even being citizens
I know that next federal election will be held in October...
See the thread on my signature for some action items to take after you become a Canadian

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have been a citizen for well over a year, and have not yet received a voter card.

Note, I checked the box on the application for my information to be given to Elections Canada. So far this did not result in me being registered for the Provincial election, and I had to register the same day as I voted in that election. Even after that, I did not receive the voter notice for our municipal election, and I had to go and register for that. Apparently the voter lists for local, provincial, and federal elections are all maintained separately.

I expect to be sent the voter notice for the Federal Election, probably about the same time as my wife (born in Canada citizen who has been voting in Canadian elections for many decades), since I checked the box for this on my citizenship application . . . but I will not be surprised if I have to show up with my passport and drivers' license to register this time too.