+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How I organized our applcation and a summary of all helpful tips I have learned

shinningstar

Star Member
Feb 27, 2009
withhardshipcomesease said:
I see so many people talking about how it took months to get everything together, and I'm starting to worry a bit. It's only taken me about a week, and this is what I have:
-45 pages of Skype chats, December 2011 to now (size nine font, managed to fit separate conversations on the left and right side of the page using tables)
-14 powerpoint slides of of Facebook screenshots + 7 word pages of chat screenshots
-4 powerpoint slides of cellphone screenshots, 2 shots per slide
-24 powerpoint slides of photos, about 5-6 photos per slide
-9 pages of additional info
-6 cover pages
-Plane tickets, a few stubs

I'm just waiting for my Option C, receipt, my husband's package, and some support letters.
Is this enough?
What about Police certificates and Medical?

Caribou

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Netkid said:
We put together a 'small' package compared to some posters here; however, we went for quality and logic over volume. My wife and I met 2x in person before getting married; we met online but explained our whole timeline, our backgrounds, etc. We met in July and got married in Feb - while this might sound like a red flag, read on...

Included:
a write up from first connection to marriage to current state of where we are and our plans (obviously not too personal!) We explained how we met, where, our connection, our plan, etc.

photos from various meet-ups, trips, with each other's families, etc. on the back were dates and who was in the photo and location. I think we had about 35-40 photos total from 2013/14

communications: e.g. skype logs, emails from various stages of our relationship, chat logs, phone call log screenshots, etc. We didn't have a lot of phone calls with bills, so explained that we use other means of comms.

receipts from trips and hotels and flights; where we went, why, etc.

For me, it was highly about the logic piece - we included our wedding gift log and new joint bank a/c (which matched!) and wedding invitee list
We gave them no holes in the write-up; everything was in categories, and I used a lot of paperclips and post-it notes and highlighting where appropriate.

I hope that helps a bit - feel free to reply back if you have any q's
Thank you so much for your time to explain all these. As we almost always traveled by ourselves, we don't have many photos taken together. ;-(

How did u organized online chat logs? We mainly communicate through chat app but also used skype, google hangout, viper etc.
Plus, the phone number kept changing over the time, so do u suggest focus on most recent info? (God, I don't even remember the phone number like back in 2006.)
TIA

Netkid

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2014; 25-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-04-2014
Med's Request
27-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Arrived 22-05-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
We explained in the write up that we are including samples of our various chat conversations (Google Hangouts, Skype, email) since we don't use voice calling in the old fashioned sense. We just took samples from the beginning and then various times until we got married. It was just to show the continuity of continued contact and if they did read it for content, they could see how we had evolved from day 1 till then.

jbaia

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
14-05-2014
Med's Done....
13-06-2014
Golly... My whole application was less than 50 pages...
But in saying that, I still feel I met all the requirements in providing proof etc.

jbaia

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
14-05-2014
Med's Done....
13-06-2014
PerrinAyabara said:
What a relief! Thank you for calling CIC for information on this. I couldn't possibly gather a tenth as much information as the OP has.

I feel that this clarification is important to this thread. This clarification contains actual info from CIC and is entirely non offensive.

I was glad to see this. Often I wonder if CIC is so backed up because people send in such huge files. I'm not trying to fofend the person who (or persons) made such large packages.. But, I have and continue to work in an office, and no way would I want to have to go through 400 pages. I want to know the truth in the least possible pages possible.

NewfieGurl

Jun 11, 2014
St. Johns
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2014
AOR Received.
14-01-2016
Med's Request
05-02-2016
Med's Done....
27-02-2016
Interview........
17-05-2016
OMG this is the perfect post for organizing!!

For some reason I cannot see the pictures :( I dont know why but I wish I could!!

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
iNick89 said:
Wow.. Just sent our application to CPC-M.

We organized similar to you, except we just put all 3 envelopes in 1 box that we shipped, instead of putting it in an accordion binder first...

Now I am nervous wondering if they will be able to keep our application together / organized...?!!???!!

What does everyone think?
mikeymyke said:
I had like 6 separate envelopes:

1 - Sponsor Application Forms
2 - Applicant's Application Forms
3 - Communication Proofs (Facebook, texts, Skype webcam conversations, Yahoo chats)
4 - Hotel Receipts, Plane Tickets, proof of travelling together during 2 honeymoons + 2 trips, Wedding related invoices/deposits
5 - Proof of Gifts Sent to Each other (basically a bunch of 11x17 photocopies of all love letters, gifts, sent to each other), also had 10 support letters
6 - Photos

I had to use 6 because there was no envelope that could fit so much stuff into one. I ended up shipping all this into one cardboard box. I hope they don't lose even one evenlope.
Hi guys, what we did was put the sponsor name and UCI number and spouse name on the separate envelopes. and put "Envelope 1 of 3, 2 of 3 , 3 of 3" so that they know there are 3 in all in case they get separated.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
alex1234p said:
where do i buy one of those expanded envelopes that user "pelipeli" used to send her application? i went to staples and couldn't find one. should i just use a bubble envelope? i could fit everything in there and then another bubble envelope to send it.
Hi! I actually brought that from the Philippines. I realize now that it's hard to find this here, my brother just sent in his application and he was looking for that in Staples too but couldn't find it.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Netkid said:
We explained in the write up that we are including samples of our various chat conversations (Google Hangouts, Skype, email) since we don't use voice calling in the old fashioned sense. We just took samples from the beginning and then various times until we got married. It was just to show the continuity of continued contact and if they did read it for content, they could see how we had evolved from day 1 till then.
I agree. If using "samples" , always make sure to explain that what you are sending are samples , which you think represent a "snap chat" of your relationship. Then tell them if ever they need more, you can provide more upon request.

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
jbaia said:
I was glad to see this. Often I wonder if CIC is so backed up because people send in such huge files. I'm not trying to fofend the person who (or persons) made such large packages.. But, I have and continue to work in an office, and no way would I want to have to go through 400 pages. I want to know the truth in the least possible pages possible.
While that is your opinion and you are fully entitled to it, unfortunately not all VO's may share yours. Some may prefer less pages, but some may be harder to convince and want to see more. (that's why they request for interviews)
I'm not saying people should send less. I'm not saying people should send a thick application as well.
It all depends on the complexity of your situation, what VO you are applying from, etc. Some people really need to send more proof while some do not necessarily need to.
I've seen many get approved with less, I've seen people get approved with more.
In our case, I chose to go the "better be safe than sorry" route. Having said this, I did not send everything we had too, so finding a balance between this is essential.
Got our application processed in less than the average time . Looking back, I have no regrets. :)

good luck everyone!

M

mikeymyke

jbaia said:
Yeah well, CIC did not specify any photo limit, weight limit, and seeing as how there is a 30 month processing time for my wife's VO, I will give them the best possible PR package I can give, and I cannot do that with just 20-30 pics or 100 pages of internet chats. How are you supposed to show you spent every day and evening with your spouse without showing pics that show that you truly did? Showing your entry/exit passport stamps? Doesn't really say if you spent those times with your wife or just spent half of your time vacationing with your buddies. Showing 10 pics of you guys together in a month? It only tells me you've spent 10 days out of 30 with her.

I sent pics to the VO, of every single day my wife and I were physically together. Of course I didn't send them 2-3 pics of the same event because that's redundant, just 1 photo per event. If there are 2-3 events in a day, I send them 2-3 pics of that day with us together. Total came to about 400 pics. 50 of them was from the wedding alone because the Singapore VO is looking for traditional weddings to be done to the fullest, skipping any part of the ceremony is considered red flag, so I covered my bases.

When some people say they only needed 20 pics or so for their PR, most of them are from Sydney, US, London VO, yeah of course you don't need much proof from those countries. Netkid got his PR in just 3 months, and sent in only 20 pics, but before I even clicked on his profile, I knew he was from an affluent country. When you're from a country like Vietnam, and your processing time is an astonishing 30 months, you really have no choice but to give them a solid application. True you have to emphasize quality over quantity, but at the same time, the VO must be 100% convinced that you are in a genuine relationship. If it means sending every single thing between you guys together to the VO, then why not?

Also, my photos aren't all in one big bag for them to sort out and look, they're all neatly organized by month and year, chronological order, and are labelled, "Vietnam Trip 2012", "Vietnam Trip 2013", "Honeymoon - Vietnam", "Honeymoon - Malaysia", "Family Trip Vietnam" "Wedding Ceremony" "Wedding Reception" etc etc. If the VO gets bored and doesn't want to keep looking at my Vietnam 2012 pics, and just wants to focus on another area, like the wedding, he/she can do so easily by grabbing the Wedding stack. Or if he/she wants to see our honeymoon pics, they can just find one that says "Honeymoon".

More than anything, I think the 30 month processing time is not due to "people with large PR packages", rather I believe it's because they don't know how to do them properly (missing documents always the #1 thing). And another reason I think is because their PR applications are so lacking, that they end up getting interviews, which delays their cases even further. If people keep doing a half-ass job on their applications, then this will hurt themselves in the long run. This is one of the most important applications in your life: bringing your spouse to live with you in another country. Don't you think you should make it the best you can?

jbaia

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
14-05-2014
Med's Done....
13-06-2014
mikeymyke said:
Yeah well, CIC did not specify any photo limit, weight limit, and seeing as how there is a 30 month processing time for my wife's VO, I will give them the best possible PR package I can give, and I cannot do that with just 20-30 pics or 100 pages of internet chats. How are you supposed to show you spent every day and evening with your spouse without showing pics that show that you truly did? Showing your entry/exit passport stamps? Doesn't really say if you spent those times with your wife or just spent half of your time vacationing with your buddies. Showing 10 pics of you guys together in a month? It only tells me you've spent 10 days out of 30 with her.

I sent pics to the VO, of every single day my wife and I were physically together. Of course I didn't send them 2-3 pics of the same event because that's redundant, just 1 photo per event. If there are 2-3 events in a day, I send them 2-3 pics of that day with us together. Total came to about 400 pics. 50 of them was from the wedding alone because the Singapore VO is looking for traditional weddings to be done to the fullest, skipping any part of the ceremony is considered red flag, so I covered my bases.

When some people say they only needed 20 pics or so for their PR, most of them are from Sydney, US, London VO, yeah of course you don't need much proof from those countries. Netkid got his PR in just 3 months, and sent in only 20 pics, but before I even clicked on his profile, I knew he was from an affluent country. When you're from a country like Vietnam, and your processing time is an astonishing 30 months, you really have no choice but to give them a solid application. True you have to emphasize quality over quantity, but at the same time, the VO must be 100% convinced that you are in a genuine relationship. If it means sending every single thing between you guys together to the VO, then why not?

Also, my photos aren't all in one big bag for them to sort out and look, they're all neatly organized by month and year, chronological order, and are labelled, "Vietnam Trip 2012", "Vietnam Trip 2013", "Honeymoon - Vietnam", "Honeymoon - Malaysia", "Family Trip Vietnam" "Wedding Ceremony" "Wedding Reception" etc etc. If the VO gets bored and doesn't want to keep looking at my Vietnam 2012 pics, and just wants to focus on another area, like the wedding, he/she can do so easily by grabbing the Wedding stack. Or if he/she wants to see our honeymoon pics, they can just find one that says "Honeymoon".

More than anything, I think the 30 month processing time is not due to "people with large PR packages", rather I believe it's because they don't know how to do them properly (missing documents always the #1 thing). And another reason I think is because their PR applications are so lacking, that they end up getting interviews, which delays their cases even further. If people keep doing a half-ass job on their applications, then this will hurt themselves in the long run. This is one of the most important applications in your life: bringing your spouse to live with you in another country. Don't you think you should make it the best you can?

I wasn't talking about photos in specific, just the 400 pages... And, I in no way want to offend anyone at all or discourage people that have gone to that much work. However, for those of us that did only send in 50 or so pages and DO NOT COME from affluent countries, I wanted to encourage them that their package is just as good as the one with 400 pages.

CutiePie92

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
AOR Received.
10-07-2014
File Transfer...
07-08-2014
Med's Done....
30-04-2014; remed 24-04-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
10-04-2015; 02-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2015
LANDED..........
24-07-2015 soon 8)
mikeymyke said:
This is one of the most important applications in your life: bringing your spouse to live with you in another country. Don't you think you should make it the best you can?
i definitely agree with you, mikeymike. we only sent 150 pictures but we're in the "middle batch" (14 months VO processing - more than US/Australia/London etc but less than Islamabad/Singapore etc.). we did have a 13 lbs package though ;D (6 kg).

jbaia as mikeymike said, the VO doesn't need to read every chatlog and look at every picture - he can look through it rapidly - that's why a good organisation of the application is needed. here's no need for him to analyse everything if he's convinced. but if he's in doubt, then he still has enough stuff to analyse in order to give him a better picture. I prefer to avoid the interview - i also had a fairly short courtship before marriage (around 1 year) so i don't want this to raise any questions. i think sending a lot is in order only when you have red flags. if you don't , then yes, sending much less is justified.

we need to keep in mind that this is the only way for them to get to know you - they analyse your relationship based on some documents and photos you sent - so with such high rates of marriage fraud, they have a tough job.

in the end, better be safe than sorry...

Baadshah

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Stoney Creek
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-09-2014