How does US citizen recently married Canadian citizen find work, seems catch 22

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Six months ago I quit my job in the US, and moved to Canada for the purpose of marrying my Canadian bride.
Before I came she agreed to sponsor me for the PR status. She is an RN with a good job.

Currently I'm waiting for the FBI clearance (that I learned after the fact that it takes 16-18 weeks to process.) Ignorantly I didn't seek these documents until after we were married four months ago.
As soon as the FBI clearance comes we can file the Sponsorship and Permanent Residency papers. It's now been almost 6 months and I feel like I'm still at square one.

Here's my frustration. I can't work because I don't have legal status, I understand that. Yet the PR paperwork specifically states that I am expected to actively seek employment once the PR papers are approved. Once I apply for PR I've heard different reports on how long will take to be approved. At least 2-3 months or likely 6-12 months. That means I could easily be here a year and not have the legal means to get even a minimum wage job. Ironically I look and talk like everyone else, yet legally I feel totally unwelcome to get any type of job.

Being newly married, I don't think it is not fair to my new bride that she has to carry this load. Yes it has caused undue marital stress.

On paper I believe I could get a job in the IT (Information Technology) field and get a work permit. As I was the IT manager in the US for the past 14 years. However in the 6+ months that I've looked for such a job here none have been available in this area.

One more thing, since I've been here for almost 6 months as a visitor, do I need to apply for extension?

J1visa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
In my opinion, you should return your home, i.e., the US. While you are in the US, you can have your PR for only 6 months (vs. 3 years if it is applied in Canada).

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
J1visa said:
In my opinion, you should return your home, i.e., the US. While you are in the US, you can have your PR for only 6 months (vs. 3 years if it is applied in Canada).
Thank you for your reply...

What do you mean 6 months vs. 3 years? Isn't PR = Permanent Residence. Once I get it, which I hope will be in six months (or so) I will be able to work. In the mean time I certainly do not feel welcome as I would like to work and can't, and your suggestion I move back to the States is not conducive to a new marriage.

After seeing each other (long distance) for over two years, I got married to a Canadian citizen and moved here. The plan was for me move here, get married, and I would apply for PR, and she would sponsor me. Why is this so difficult. I have no intention of leaching off the system here, as I am live off my life savings and am not able to contribute equally to the household expenses.